Sign in to follow this  
Brightlight

Jeep Grand Cherokee - Opinions please

Brightlight

Having been snowed in for days last year and this (and the snow ain't finished its work yet), I'm considering selling my current car and replacing it with a 4x4. I'm interested in the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same engine and auto box as my current C Class Merc, and assembled in Austria, the 2,7CRD Limited. I'll be looking at a pre 2005 car to keep the annual tax low, probably around 50-60,000 miles. The alternative is a Merc ML, but it's going to have twice the mileage for the same price. I only do a very low mileage these days working from home, but that could change, I sometimes have to work away from home. From what I've seen and read so far the Jeep seems reasonably reliable, well built, an excellent 4x4 and well specced. Anyone got any personal experiences of this model they might like to pass on before I decide which way to jump, probably early spring.

I have incidentally done a lot of off road driving, particularly in Africa, mainly Range Rover, Land Rover and Toyota Landcruiser so I'm no stranger to 4x4

greg_r

A colleague has one (it's an 04, which is I think the last year for the 2.7 engine). I like it as a car as it's a pleasant place to sit while being driven about, but it's been something of a money pit for him. Not really as well screwed together as one would hope - in fact he's had almost Alfa levels of bits dropping off :lol:

He may just have gotten a bad one, but the squeaks and rattles suggest it's not as good as it might be. Interior feels a little cheap by comparison with other so-called quality cars and he complains about the handling in good conditions - it's a bit of a barge. He's thinking of dumping it and buying an ML

Silverspeed

We've had a couple of those as trades in...mostly V8 though.

From what I know the gearbox can cause trouble, very jerky gearchange, even at low mileage.

Especially if the previous owner used the car to tow a heavy trailer. You'll notice this while testdriving it and you can always check the gearbox oil...this should have a dark red colour if it's black that's a sign the gearbox oil is burned and most likely will cause problem with the gearbox.

And as with any other 4x4 check the differentials and such for signs of heavy useage. Pricewise these can be very interesting you should be able to buy one at 2 years old and low mileage for less than half the newprice

Baldrick

More rattles and shakes than Marley's ghost, scuttle shake is tremendous, better with a good used Discovery or Land / Range Rover JMO BIKIR

RS9

I had the Grand Cherokee for a week as a rental once. The fit and finish is nowhere near anything German so you might feel like you're trading down though that's a given. If you're open to it, have a look at GX or LX ranges from Lexus. I almost bought one before settling on something a little more sporty.

Good luck.

KinCaidk

H to the ILUX

:lol:

anyway I would probably be looking into a Land / Range rover if I were you. (they look better too)

KBH

I can only tell you about my two previous Jeep Cherokees. I assume they were US made so it may not matter, but they both sucked. The radiators both went out at about 60,000 miles and one one it went out again in another 60,000 miles or so. The headlinders on both started to fall down at 65,000 and needed to be replaced. The transmission went out of one at about 110,00 and the engine main bearing failed on one at 145,000. Main seals both front and back had a tendency to leak after 80 -1000,000 miles.

Electrical solenoids were constantly malfunctioning. Replaced the AC compressor on one at about 70,000 miles. Replaced the starter on one. And that's only what just comes to mind. These were late 80's and early 90's models with the straight 6 - 4.0 liter engine and 4X4. Supposedly it was a Renault built or designed engine.

Never again.

prestigewatchco

I remember having a few earlier Limited versions both 4ltr straight 6 and the then 2.5 turbo . Always had a rumble from the diff and were in the case of the 4ltr heavy on fuel and the 2.5 diesel was prone to head problems. But at the time the Discoveries rusted through on the boot floor and the Range Rover just kept breaking down so there was not a lot of choice.

Certainly the build quality is more GM/Ford quality than Merc though same with the San Yong I think it's called Merc engine but thats where the similarity ends

Brightlight

Looks like I might have to rethink. I don't like the Landrover range, everyone I know with one has had reliability problems. Also the diesels have shite performance and there are not so many autos about. Lexus is a possibility, again I don't think the diesels perform well. Can't do a Hilux Kink, my clients would think I was a builder or a plumber, not an IT Consultant :lol:

Might have to go back to my original thought of an ML, maybe put some more money into it.

KinCaidk
Looks like I might have to rethink. I don't like the Landrover range, everyone I know with one has had reliability problems. Also the diesels have shite performance and there are not so many autos about. Lexus is a possibility, again I don't think the diesels perform well. Can't do a Hilux Kink, my clients would think I was a builder or a plumber, not an IT Consultant :lol:

Might have to go back to my original thought of an ML, maybe put some more money into it.

How about an X3 or X5 then?

greg_r

Hairdresser's car.

prestigewatchco

Pity they don't import the Toyota Fortuna to the UK super 4x4 at around $30K new Diesel 3ltr turbo with 170BHP and full spec Letaher air con etc . Very much like the Colorado in the UK but half the price

KinCaidk

Hairdresser's car.

tssssssssssk

spboudart

I had one I kept for 4 years from 2001 to 2005, it was the 3.1l version.

When I got it it had 2 years and 62000kms and sold it at 182000kms

Many many problems with the VM engine, that's why as soon as Chrysler and Mercedes fused they put the 2.7ltrs in.

You know the engine, and I know the car so I'll try go give you my experience about it.

Loved that car, the handling is awesome, I did once 2000kms in the tiny mountain road of Corsica in 15 days, the cornering is same as a sedan.

During that period I followed a 2003 BMW M3 on the 200kms between Bastia and Ajaccio, the guy was really going at it, but I kept it sight for the whole run.

Actually, the Jeep Grand Cherokee was pretty much the first SUV.

Why I sold it:

It costed me 48000€ in 4 years, 1000€ per month, 33 per day, all included of course, but I felt it was rather throwing money out of the window.

I was not lucky though, the AD was also a Seat AD, so when I would drop it for a check up, I had the incompetent Seat guy working on my car (charging 66€/hour instead of 25 for a Seat, same guys, same job, but different car maker).

As you probably understand, I have a very heavy left foot, so I was burning 15l/100kms at 1€ the liter of Gasoil (120000/100=1200x15=18000€)

The 2.7 is much much better on normal driving you won't exceed 10l/100kms.

I had to redo the engine before I sold it, the VM engine had 5 separated engine cylinder head and all 5 were cracked = 6000€.

Apart from the engine cost, tyres are 600€ for a set and all the rest went fine.

Now that i remember I had 3 door's locking system that died on me, started with the drunk, then front passenger seat and one at the rear, I would replace one and an other one would die after 2 months, looked like the main system had not enough power to run all 5 at a time, but with the AD I had....

If I had the 2.7 and a good AD, I probably would have save 1/2 of the money I spent so I probably would have kept it, today it would have 300000kms.

Brightlight

I couldn't handle the shame of driving a BMW. As Top Gear has said for years, BMWs are driven by cocks.

Silverspeed

Howabout a XC90?....they're pretty much trouble free

Baldrick

Buy a Saab, I've had almost every model from 2.0 Hot 9/3 to Viggen and 9/5 both saloon and estate, get a good set of steel wheels with snow tyres and chains. I used to sweep past everybody including 4x4's when snow was bad in Scotland.

Great cars, I know some people don't like them,but I always had great experiences with them.

Brightlight
Howabout a XC90?....they're pretty much trouble free

For some reason they are more than Mercedes money, and less plentiful on the used market, though I have no objections to Volvo per se.

prestigewatchco

The Volvo is a better car 4x4 than Mercedes . Mercedes make terrible manual cars and are not the best with 4X4 the ML has mixed reviews and the G Wagon is a dreadful car underpowered in standard form and just like an old Landrover to drive

Brightlight
Buy a Saab, I've had almost every model from 2.0 Hot 9/3 to Viggen and 9/5 both saloon and estate, get a good set of steel wheels with snow tyres and chains. I used to sweep past everybody including 4x4's when snow was bad in Scotland.

Great cars, I know some people don't like them,but I always had great experiences with them.

My major problem is I live on a hill, on a bend, an my drive is about 45 degrees (well not quite but you get the idea). Putting snow chains on (I have a set) is almost impossible. The only vehicle that gets out of our road (a cul de sac) in the snow is the woman down the end with an old Landrover. Not sure about Saab now they're GM eutocar or Chinese or whatever they are nowadays but they did used to have a great reputation in snow.

KBH

Although living in Florida, snow's not a problem but I've hear the Subaru is an awesome snow car and very popular in northern New England.

macak011

My major problem is I live on a hill, on a bend, an my drive is about 45 degrees (well not quite but you get the idea). Putting snow chains on (I have a set) is almost impossible. The only vehicle that gets out of our road (a cul de sac) in the snow is the woman down the end with an old Landrover. Not sure about Saab now they're GM eutocar or Chinese or whatever they are nowadays but they did used to have a great reputation in snow.

Heh, in that case Lada Niva would help... But facelifted.. :lol:

DenGNNJ

stay away from American made (branded) cars. The Japanese still have the best quality.

prestigewatchco

Lada Niva was a great off roader right up there with Landrover SWB both are great if you live on Kilimanjaro not so great in Kilburn

macak011

I would stay with Mr.Benz, older G-class or ML...