Sign in to follow this  
Harry_Worth

Rolex on ebay

Harry_Worth

Just browsing ebay and found this Rolex for sale.

Is the bracelet correct? - The links appear incredibly crude - they are clearly folded over strips of metal that have then been flattened. The bracelet end caps don't appear to fit correctly to the body of the watch either. I have an old rep bracelet made in this way and had always assumed it was like that simply because it was cheap and nasty - is it in fact correct for a vintage Rolex?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-1977-ROLEX-G...9f#ht_1346wt_11

andygt

Yes there are genuine vintage rolex bracelets that are folded too, rolex bracelets on the whole are not the best quality even the gens feel cheap

Harry_Worth
Yes there are genuine vintage rolex bracelets that are folded too, rolex bracelets on the whole are not the best quality even the gens feel cheap

Blimey - maybe my one's real - I don't really know the provenance of it - Acquired two bracelets from a guy that had a gen. He managed to damage the original bracelet and then promptly lost the watch just as he had ordered a new bracelet. He knew I had a gen. Sub. so thought I might have some use for them (this is some fifteen years ago so it's only a vague memory). These were the days when a Rolex rep usually had the word Rolex misspelt (funny how the R always became a B ). I put the bracelets in my Rolex packaging and forgot about them until I discovered this site - I've bought a Vintage Sub off Lay that I intend to fit what I believe to be the gen bracelet to. I had always assumed the second bracelet to be a rep due to its quality! Last seen in my small daughter's toy box!

scope

Post some pics and get some idea's. May be someone's grail Bracelet!

Harry_Worth
Post some pics and get some idea's. May be someone's grail Bracelet!

Here it is - seems to have quite a few links missing - I blame my small daughter!

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

KBH

What are the numbers on the ends and on the clasp? Probably real and if it was all together it would be worth a bit of money.

Harry_Worth
What are the numbers on the ends and on the clasp? Probably real and if it was all together it would be worth a bit of money.

Only three links on one side of the clasp and six on the other, There's a 3 over a 10 on the catch and 9315 one one of the links. Also says 'Patented & registered swiss made' plus 'steelinox' in an incredibly small typeface (had to use a glass to read it but my eyesight is fairly crap) - beginning to think it was the rest of the watch that got lost and these two straps were all that remained - hence the guy had no need for them!

trailboss99

I'd say gen. Few if any of the reps have the stamping on the diver's extension.

Col.

KBH

9315 is from a early Sub, probably around 1970. Are you sure the 3 and 10 aren't 3 and 70, which could be the date code.

Also check the clasp and make sure it's not one of the rare one's that have "patented" spelled wrong.

If you had the whole thing including end links it could be worth from around $300 to $800 depending on condition

Harry_Worth
9315 is from a early Sub, probably around 1970. Are you sure the 3 and 10 aren't 3 and 70, which could be the date code.

Also check the clasp and make sure it's not one of the rare one's that have "patented" spelled wrong.

If you had the whole thing including end links it could be worth from around $300 to $800 depending on condition

Wow KBH - you guys on this forum really know your stuff - I've been close to throwing that bracelet out several times - The folded 'hammered' links had always look such a complete bodge to my eyes that it had never occurred to me it was a gen. I had never never thought to put a loupe on it but certainly the size of the text suggests a higher level of workmanship!

$800 - that concentrated my mind! - Spent the night throwing my daughter's toys out of the toy box looking for bits of the bracelet. Found another couple of links and importantly, the one that attaches to the watch body. I've got the other bits that cover the spring bars. Think I've got the complete bracelet. Yes - you're correct, it's a 3 and 70. Unfortunately Lay's parts are too good - Not sure I can sort gen spring bar plates from the replica. Squinted at the word 'patented' it looks correct! Might see if I can get it back together. Could be a job for Brightlight - Sounds as if it would be a better bracelet for my vintage sub that the one I was intending to use. Everyone will think it's a rep straight off though! Make an interesting talking point!

Slim

Rolex bracelets aren't the best quality in the world, but I'm surprised if they were using folded links like that in 1977. My own GMT Master is an '80s model, but the links are solid.

KBH

Apparently they came with end links marked either 280, 380 or 580. I believe the 580 were used on Subs and the 380 on Sea Dweller, but I'm not 100% sure on the differences.

There was one for sale on RWGforum a few months ago for 450 British pounds or about $700 US.

scope

Wow, you got a winner there!

Harry_Worth
Wow, you got a winner there!

Lay will already be rubbing his hands together in anticipation of a £450.00 order!!!!