Sign in to follow this  
Bobber

Any advice on buying a Seiko diver's watch?

Bobber

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a Seiko 7002 diver, but a lot of them have aftermarket parts (I'm talking about ebay listings).

Since I've never owned a Seiko and am not familiar with them, do you guys have any advice on buying these? What's the real price for these things? Is $100 cheap or expensive?

Thanks!

Bob

MetalMickey

+1 for Creation. Yorkshire Watches also sometimes have good deals on Seiko as do Amazon.

Definitely avoid any eBay sellers based in India or the Philippines - their watches will often fall apart very quickly.

dalboy

Hi Bob .

Wouldn't have thought you'd get a unmolested 7002 in good nick for $100 ..

Must it be that model.

Seikos are Bomb proof .. All the Divers are .

Dal.

WatchDog21

Word of caution if buying on eBay... be careful. Here is what recently happened to me. http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=97966&hl=&fromsearch=1

Learned a little lesson and after I got the refund just went out a bought a new one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OP1M6M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WatchDog21
+1 for Creation. Yorkshire Watches also sometimes have good deals on Seiko as do Amazon. Definitely avoid any eBay sellers based in India or the Philippines - their watches will often fall apart very quickly.

+1000

It happened to me. Stopped working in a week

Bobber

Yeah, I've seen those listings from the Philippines, they did seem sketchy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111625161714?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT this seems a bit more realistic, but then again I have no experience. The price is tempting, that's why I wanted to ask you guys.

Well, it doesn't have to be the 7002 model, basically any 40+mm seiko diver would be a nice fit for my wrist. Those are just the ones that caught my eye the most ;)

dalboy

Yeah, I've seen those listings from the Philippines, they did seem sketchy. http://www.ebay.com/...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT this seems a bit more realistic, but then again I have no experience. The price is tempting, that's why I wanted to ask you guys.

Well, it doesn't have to be the 7002 model, basically any 40+mm seiko diver would be a nice fit for my wrist. Those are just the ones that caught my eye the most ;)

Whats your $ Limit ?

Dal.

Bobber

With the current EUR-USD ratio, I'd like to keep my limit at $150. I have a fiddy homage coming in, so the watch budget is not what I'd like to see right now :D

andyboy

Hi

If it`s just a Seiko diver you are after then I would go for a new SKX and as already said Creation watches are a good cheap source for one.

The 7002 you have linked from ebay looks good,new aftermarket bezel,hands and dial have been installed but will need a service so if you factor that in then it will raise the price.

Original 7002`s are relatively hard to find and command a good price but if you can find a nice one are a good investment.

I was lucky to snap a nice one off a top member here.

2014-07-211203451_zpsa7fbe6ec.jpg

MetalMickey

These look stunning on jubilees (just look at Andyboy's awesome one), by the way, don't skimp out and get it on rubber - aftermarket rubber is easy to source and the stock bracelets look cool.

Bobber

Thanks guys, I guess I'm better off squeezing a few more bucks and going with the creation watches!

Are those discounts on a time limit or is that an always-on type of discount?

That's one great looking watch there, andyboy!

MetalMickey

Thanks guys, I guess I'm better off squeezing a few more bucks and going with the creation watches!

Are those discounts on a time limit or is that an always-on type of discount?

That's one great looking watch there, andyboy!

Always at those prices. ;)

Bobber

One more question guys, do SKX009K and SKX009J have the same lume? I thought all seiko watches have LumiBrite, but the lume shots on Creation show a big difference. I don't care much for a dial that shows "21 jewels" and "made in Japan", but I would like a nice lume.

SKX009K1_2_LRG.jpg

SKX009J1_2_LRG.jpg

andyboy

Lume is the same

:thumbsup2:

NFleischer

Most gray market dealers sell them quite cheap. I recently bought one with the Jubilee bracelet but I wasn't that thrilled with it and I changed it to an aftermarket bracelet which is much better. This watch was $160 at Worldofwatches.com, $80 for Strapcode bracelet = $240. Good deal IMO

IMG_0099_zpss2aq344f.jpg