Sign in to follow this  
PeterPC

Seiko 7002-7001 - Losing time when off the wrist overnight

PeterPC

Wanted a blue faced diver and recently picked up this 7002-7001, with a replacement dial, hands and bezel insert. It was cheap, looked good but I was realistic enough not to expect perfection. When it arrived, it looked great, seemed to work fine, and I had the perfect strap for it (the new rubber it came on just wasn't my cup of tea). I've attached a photo below with the new leather strap. Loving it on the wrist.

My problem is, the watch stops overnight when it's off the wrist. It keeps near perfect time during the day on the wrist, runs for about 4 hours off the wrist, then dies. Now I confess I know nothing about autos (having preferred quartz to avoid this very dilemma), but I'd have thought the power reserve would have been a bit longer, even in an older watch. I've tried laying it in its back when its off the wrist overnight. I've tried laying it on its side. I've tried laying it on face. But the same result every morning.

Any suggestions on what I can try, or do I just take it to a watch repairer for a thorough going over? I'm handy to a degree (especially if it means saving some coin), but fat peasant fingers sometimes make simple tasks all a bit too bothersome.

By way of additional info, I did a FFF mod recently using a new Seiko SNZH55 as a donor watch. Had the same problem losing time overnight initially, but it seemed to go away when I layed the watch on its side overnight.

I'm enjoying getting into autos and don't really want to return to the "safe" quartz option.

20150501_093013_zpslkxhlott.jpg?1430437760521&1430437761291

RUSH2112

Is this a wind or no-wind movement?

PeterPC

I believe it's a no-wind auto movement

WatchDog21

Hopefully you didn't get it from a particular seller on eBay. My 7002 did the same. When I took to my local watch repair he opened the back and found a disaster that was so bad he said the cost to fix out weighs the cost of the watch.

myaz

You might want to search this as it's been discussed several times and you would get additional info.

A few principal causes are

1) not enough wrist movement during the day to get a full charge.

2) something rubbing/impinging on free rotor travel.

3) extra work required of the movement due to needing a tune 'n lube.

4) catch all category: crappy cheap movement made while the watchmaker was still hungover from the previous night.

There are other reasons. Good luck.

RUSH2112

I believe it's a no-wind auto movement

Doesn't sound like you have the manual. My black monster was a no wind but a couple swirls got it going and my normal movement throughout day gave it a pretty good reserve. Myaz gave some good advice.

PeterPC

Hopefully you didn't get it from a particular seller on eBay. My 7002 did the same. When I took to my local watch repair he opened the back and found a disaster that was so bad he said the cost to fix out weighs the cost of the watch.

I did read your story recently. But thankfully, no, it was not that sender. Interestingly, I have bought from that seller previously with no problems. Luck of the draw I suppose. Or maybe I was just lucky

PeterPC

You might want to search this as it's been discussed several times and you would get additional info.

A few principal causes are

1) not enough wrist movement during the day to get a full charge.

2) something rubbing/impinging on free rotor travel.

3) extra work required of the movement due to needing a tune 'n lube.

4) catch all category: crappy cheap movement made while the watchmaker was still hungover from the previous night.

There are other reasons. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's greatly appreciated. I'll open her up from behind and have a look at her workings. See if those fat peasant fingers of mine and a bit of lube can't bring about some joy.

ReplicaFromDownunder

My skx007 has the longest power reserve out of all my watches. Faultless. No need to wind as it is windless.

TRANSPORTER

Can't go wrong with a 7002-7001, I have one that I made/ modded myself and although I also havè numerous other seikos and reps my 7002 just always becomes my daily beater.

Ok have a look at this list, it's what I go by every time I have slow/stopping movement.

WATCH LOSING TIME

Watch not cleaned and oiled properly.

Rusty hairspring.

Hands rubbing together, hitting on face, or on the crystal.

Stem not staying in or the watch was left in set mode.

Loose cannon pinion pinion.

Regulator set wrong.

Bent wheel.

Bent or dirty teeth on wheel or pinion.

Damaged jewel.

Worn bushings.

Bent pivot.

Out of beat.

Hairspring not in regulator.

Regulator pins to far apart.

Balance arms bent out.

Loose timing screws.

Mainspring sticking.

By the way the 7002 movement is a non winding movement ok, you have to use the rotor to wind the mainspring, any dramas keep us informed ok, we are here to help mate

PeterPC

Can't go wrong with a 7002-7001, I have one that I made/ modded myself and although I also havè numerous other seikos and reps my 7002 just always becomes my daily beater.

Ok have a look at this list, it's what I go by every time I have slow/stopping movement.

WATCH LOSING TIME

Watch not cleaned and oiled properly.

Rusty hairspring.

Hands rubbing together, hitting on face, or on the crystal.

Stem not staying in or the watch was left in set mode.

Loose cannon pinion pinion.

Regulator set wrong.

Bent wheel.

Bent or dirty teeth on wheel or pinion.

Damaged jewel.

Worn bushings.

Bent pivot.

Out of beat.

Hairspring not in regulator.

Regulator pins to far apart.

Balance arms bent out.

Loose timing screws.

Mainspring sticking.

By the way the 7002 movement is a non winding movement ok, you have to use the rotor to wind the mainspring, any dramas keep us informed ok, we are here to help mate

That's a great checklist to have. Many thanks Transporter. Will be my go to troubleshooting list for future problems.

Over the weekend, without doing anything to the movement, things seemed to improve. Saturday morning I woke and noticed the watch had stopped and lost 4 hours. Reset it, wore it all day, and watch kept great time. Took it off at bed time, laid it on its side, then went to sleep. Sunday morning I woke and noticed the watch had stopped and lost about 2 hours. Reset it again, wore it all day again, and watch kept great time again. Took it off at bed time, laid it on its side again, then went to sleep. This morning (Monday) I woke and noticed to my great delight the watch was still going and hadn't lost any time.

Is it the case with automatics (particularly older ones) that the longer the period you wear them, the better the performance and power reserve?

I'll still run through the troubleshooting checklist, but for my next watch I won't panic so early.

PeterPC

Pleased to report that it's now 2 mornings in a row that the watch hasn't lost time from being off the wrist overnight. A lot happier than I was last week, especially considering I really didn't do anything to the watch itself or change my normal daily practices. Will now read up more on simple home servicing and see if I can keep the gremlins away for good. Thanks to those offering feedback and suggestions.

RussP

Seikos are a unique beast, particularly with the way they need to be wound.

A vigorous couple of minutes of shaking (up and down or side-to-side) ought to give it a reasonable charge.

See this link:

If that doesn't work, it may be something for a watch-maker to have a closer look at.

Daywatch

Hi, what is really frequent on these (also the FFF mod) is the seconds hand very slightly catching the minute hand in a certain position and it stops there. Next time it is stopped or runs out of power just check the position of the seconds hand before You pick it up if it´s stuck to the minute hand.

If that´s the issue slightly bending it upwards will fix the issue.

PeterPC

Thanks Daywatch and RussP. Good tips as well. Next time she stops, I'll give it a closer look. Hopefully, given my last couple of nights success at having her keep good time overnight off the wrist, the problem has been corrected. Actually, tonight I might deliberately leave it to keep running until it stops, not only to test the rubbing hands theory, but to also get a guage of the power reserve.

TRANSPORTER

I think by the sounds of things the power reserve just didnt get enough power from a couple of days light wearing, of course a service mught be in order, i know my watchmaker used to charge £65 for a basic service on a seiko 5, luckily i service mine myself and he was a font of knowledge and spares etc and he could form a hairspring in 10 minutes and have the balance running there after.

Anyway you could service it yourself if you so wish or get a watchmaker to do it, or happily leave as is and see how it goes mate.

PeterPC

Late last week I experienced another couple of frustrating episodes of lost time when taking it off the wrist at bed time. So the last few nights I've given the watch a good shake after removing it and before laying it down on it's side before going to bed. Seems to do the trick. Hasn't missed a beat. Maybe I'm just a light duty wearer of watches as suggested above and this Seiko prefers a more rigorous daytime lifestyle.