Sign in to follow this  
marshal1085

Explorer Project...Need thoughts!

marshal1085

Hey guys, bought one of the new 39mm Rolex Explorers. Have a couple mod ideas I'm going to do to it and wanted some feedback.

I'm going to get it relumed, but want to know what color blue the gen is. Is it the aqua blue or the true blue? I searched through the gen rolex forums and couldn't come up with a good pic. Can anyone link to one so I can send it with the watch so it is just right?!

Also, I asked a couple of the modders about making the dial matte as opposed to glossy. They quoted me a price, but I was curious if this will be successful or not? And what are the downsides? (fading, etc.)

Thanks, looking forward to finishing this and posting the pics!

marshal1085
6803b9ec_bump3.jpg

Member X

Are you talking about the new 2010 Explorer 1?

I have one of these and have pondered the same questions!

I am not sure what colour the lume is on the gen, there seems to be hardly any pictures on the internet at the moment B) My gut feeling is that it is the aqua blue rather than the green, but I have no evidence to back up this thought...

The dial should definitely be matte though, rather than the gloss that it is (although I think it looks nice glossy B) lol) but the problem with making the dial matte by spraying a matte finish over the top is that you will lose the shiny finish to the lettering, which the gen has. I'm not sure it's a massive issue though, as the rehaut engraving is probably a bigger 'tell' than that anyway ;)

What sort of price have you been quoted for the dial matte-ing?

marshal1085

Yeah, I have the new 2010 explorer 1. I think the new explorer does have the aqua blue...just can't verify that with anything on the internet.

I've been trying to look at pics of the gen to see if you would notice the matte lettering, and I don't really think you would. I've gotten a quote of only $20. I would want to make sure that they would cover the 3-6-9 markers so that the glossy isn't taken off of those.

Member X
Yeah, I have the new 2010 explorer 1. I think the new explorer does have the aqua blue...just can't verify that with anything on the internet.

The thing to do would be to find one at an AD and try it on, and get it under a bright light so you can check :P

I've been trying to look at pics of the gen to see if you would notice the matte lettering, and I don't really think you would.

I'm tempted to agree. I think I will have mine matte'd when I get a marker re-fixed that has come loose thanks to the heavy-handed postman... :rolleyes:

I've gotten a quote of only $20. I would want to make sure that they would cover the 3-6-9 markers so that the glossy isn't taken off of those.

That seems a good price :rolleyes: Have you seen their previous work? If you haven't it could be an idea to send them a cheap dial from Jackson Tse to matte - then you could see the quality of their work and only waste perhaps $30 in total, rather than having trouble sourcing a replacement Explorer dial if they mess it up! :)

re: the markers, they can be removed from behind as they are mounted on 'sticks' that poke through holes in the dial (I think...) so if they are good then they will be able to remove the markers, spray the dial, and replace the markers. They could also superlume the markers while they are out, I think?

Who are you thinking about getting to do the work? A local guy? :)

marshal1085

Yeah, I plan on going into the AD when I get a chance. Not one very close and lots of craziness right now with the holidays.

I've gotten a couple of quotes from guys at RWI (and are on here too). Vac quoted me at the $20 and he does awesome work as you probably know. He would definitely be more than capable of pulling it off to make it look good, IMO.

I'm with you totally, I want to get them relumed while I'm at it. He quoted me higher than others on the relume, however.

Member X

Vac is a bit more expensive, but he does do excellent work!

I would be tempted to go with him - get it right the first time, and all that :P

pollux1

Having seen Vac's work first hand, it's definitely worth paying for.

marshal1085
The thing to do would be to find one at an AD and try it on, and get it under a bright light so you can check :(

X, so I walked into the AD today (with my rep on of course, just kidding) and the lume is definitely the aqua bright blue. So that is definitely the color to go for.

Also, a couple of things that I noticed about the gen. It has the matte without a doubt. And it almost has a grey hue to it, makes me wonder if using matte on the dial will look 'more authentic' or if it actually is a different color.

It also seems that the gen wears a little bigger than the rep too.

Member X

Thanks for the info ;)

I know what you mean about it being matte - it's almost like it's sucking light in, it's that matte!

I, too, am not sure about whether to matte the dial or not - I think it looks quite nice glossy but it's not accurate to gen...

I wish we could source a gen dial and swap it in, would solve all these issues :) lol

That said, it's still an awesome rep for the price B)

I think I'm glad it wears a little smaller than the gen - it's already bordering on oversize and I don't think I'd like to go any bigger! (He says, still considering a DJ II... LoL )