Sign in to follow this  
Kcore

Sub Crown Help Needed

Kcore

I have a rep TT 16613 Sub and need to replace the crown because of worn plating. The original crown's outside OD measures 7mm. I contacted the TD who the rep was bought from and received a crown with same 7mm OD.

I thought all was good. I pulled stem & crown, unscrewed old crown from stem and put new crown on. Slid stem & new crown into movt. All good so far. Problem is, the new crown's inside thread is larger than crown it's replacing? The new crown won't screw on tube.

I pulled stem & new crown, unscrewed stem. Tried to screw crown on tube without the stem. Same thing. Tried to screw old crown on tube, no problem, it screws right on?

Is this possible that two 7mm Rolex crowns have different inside threads? Any assistance is appreciated as I'm scratching my head.

BadPickle

You have answered your own question my friend, you have 2 options. Find out the factory of the watch and get the same crown, or replace the tube. The former would be less risky for the watch. :D good luck

Chances are you just got the first 7mm crown the TD could lay their hands on

Irishcain

You're tap size was correct for the crown to fit the stem, however the crown thread for the tube is too large. This is most likely due to it being made on a different production run from the original crown. This happens waaaaay more often than I'd like, making modding the watch almost a necessity. The easiest fix would obviously be to replace the crown with another that has both the correct tap size and crown tube thread (inside diameter). It'll be luck of the draw (not to mention the irish, lol) getting it from a TD however. What I'd probably do is source the correct size tube for the crown, drill out the case to fit the new tube and refit. A little more difficult, but guaranteed that all parts fit with a minimum of wait and fuss. You can also remove the spring from the crown, shorten the stem and wear it as a NON waterproof watch. Lastly, I've heard that there's a member or two on here that can do some electroplating if you'd like to go that way, but I don't know how well the job would be.

Odyseus

You have answered your own question my friend, you have 2 options. Find out the factory of the watch and get the same crown, or replace the tube. The former would be less risky for the watch. :D good luck

Chances are you just got the first 7mm crown the TD could lay their hands on

looks very likely..maybe the TD can supply a new matching tube. They usually come out with a bit of effort :)

Kcore

Thanks everyone!

I've been in touch with the TD who has been very good communicating. He's going to talk with the factory. Maybe I'll get lucky if not, I think I'll try replacing the tube. Never did one before. Maybe I can apply the hands-on experience of this towards my official "Tinkers" certificate ;).

I'll let you know what happens.

Kcore

Spoke with TD yesterday. He'll be sending me a new crown and tube. I believe gratis.