Sign in to follow this  
Conquerer

A few Omega Planet Ocean and rep movement questions

Conquerer

Hello everyone. New user here, have some questions mostly about Planet Ocean reps. Even if you only answer a question or two, or whatever you can, it's much appreciated.

1. Is there a PO 3 dial chrono rep with a clear case back like the 9300 chrono (2 dial) & 8500 non-chrono? Or perhaps even Omega hasn't made a gen one?

2. Are the clear case back PO reps (8500/9300) accurate looking? I read they're decorated to look like the genuine movements but do they hold up the appearance well?

3. Found this green bezel PO on one of the trusted dealer sites; does anyone know if it's based on a genuine PO model? I saw another one (non chrono) on another forum and someone said it was some 50th anniversary version but I can't find a real version of it. Looks beautiful though.

http://www.silix-prime.so/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=115_150_190&products_id=1671

4. Are all rep movements asian or not? I've seen "Swiss ETA 2824-2" and "Asian ETA 2824-2" listed for different models on the same sites. Wouldn't both those be the same movement? Or an asian copy of a Swiss ETA is different from a straight up Asian ETA?

5. How does this board feel about the A7750 movements? I've heard a lot about it being a really good movement itself but they don't get properly oiled and get very dirty during production, meaning you should fully service it once you get it. Not sure how I feel about dropping ~$200 on servicing a watch that's already ~$300 before I even use it tbqh.

6. What seems to be the most favourable movement in the $2-400 range? Or how do these ones stack up next to each other: A7750, ETA 2824-2, ETA 2836-2, Miyota 8205, or any others.

Hopefully that's not too many questions; as I said even if you just answer a few I appreciate it a lot. Thanks everyone.

Vreds

I'll answer some of them, however im sure many of your questions are answered already many times.

2. Depends. They are decorated very much like the real thing, but the balance wheel is of wrong material. Easy tell.

4. always assume they are asians, because they most likely will be. ETA movements have not been available on the market in a long time.

5. Pretty solid movement unless you go for modified ones. Sec on 9 is the good one. Read before buying.

6. I like the 2836 myself. But it comes down to what watch.

Oh and welcome!

Edited by wreds

Conquerer

Thanks for the answers!

kavlares

I can help with number 3 ! a newbie to another...

I hope I am right...

no green Planet Ocean would be accurate as far as I know...

Sankalony

Hey,

1 - Yes ofc they are based on real one, check Omega official website.

2 - The closest decoration to accurate looking comes with the watches with Miyota movement.

3 - No idea.

4 - Swiss ETAs are either reclaimed or repaired. You are kinda gambling with that movement.

Asian ETAs are copies of swiss ETAs, straight mentioned or not it's cloned version and not as risky as the Swiss.

5 - A7750 Pretty solid as mentioned by werds.

6 - A7750 for chronos, Asian ETA 2836-2 for non chronos, Miyota 8205 if you want closer decoration for that specific watch.

Notice that Miyota gives 6 ticksper second and thatos 1 tick lower in the seconds arm movement than the 7 tocks gen movement, a bit noticeable. While 2836 gives 8 ticks which is still not accurate lkke the gen but way closer.

So it depends on your needs, I would suggest the Asian 2836-2 since the back is not showing as long as it is on your wrist anyway. That's the noob factory version.

Good luck :)

Conquerer

Thanks. :)

Since this post I've also educated myself quite a bit on all these questions and other areas. I've since ordered a Noob 45mm CrPO (A2836-2) from Toro. I love POs so much that I'll probably get at least another 2 or 3. So many choices with the different colours and 2 and 3 dial chronos... Kid in a candy store for an Omega guy like me (my first and only gen is a SMP 300m).

Always appreciate the help! And yeah, for the record for anyone wondering, I'm quite certain that green PO doesn't exist as a gen. Haven't seen it anywhere and only silix sells it (UPO and Chrono) and I've only ever seen it mentioned once on another rep forum. I've also seen aftermarket green bezels for sale along with some other non gen colours like red. The watch does look quite nice though with that green, have to say.

Sankalony

Perfect choice :)