Sign in to follow this  
Left Coast Guy

Shinola Watches -- Just a rant!!!

Left Coast Guy

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I feel like I'm constantly seeing stuff about Shinola watches. In mens magazines, on gears sites, etc, and its just absolutely infuriating for some reason. I guess my principle beef is that Shinola is pitched as a high quality American made watch, when really its just a rhonda quartz mov't assembled in America -- I mean we're talking what $25 max for a rhonda mov't, then another $100 for a caset and $50 for dial/hands/crown, so $175 in parts (absolute max cost mind you) and these things sell for $800 -- $1200 ??!?!??!

I guess that I'm seeing it just means Shinola has a good marketing team, but still I don't get the draw. I mean if it was an American made automatic, I could see that....but a quartz? WTF?

End of rant, here's some pics and the 10th posting on Shinola I've seen now on Uncrate.

http://uncrate.com/stuff/shinola-runwell-moon-phase-watch/

runwell-moon-phase.jpg

Vreds

I don't think I've ever heard of a Shinola watch. But then again, I don't live in America so maybe their marketing hasn't reached me yet

Ruski91

I feel the same exact way Left Coast Guy. I see them all the time, even on billboards on the highway. When i first saw it i was interested. Almost had a vintage style Bell and Ross effect to it, but then i realized it guartz and it suddenly feels like a movado. Guarts watch for arround 1K +/- which i think is a joke.

RUSH2112

Some people don't know shit from shinola.

dfq23

Some people don't know shit from shinola.

It took four posts? You guys are slipping!

Left Coast Guy

Yeah, I forget RWG is probably mostly UK in its membership base. Regardless, here stateside, this is the latest cottage brand that is being marketed like Coca-Cola down our throats. I mean in terms of marketing dollars, I'd bet Shinola is getting close to the major luxury brands in its spend.

Nice article baires...that is spot on! It's an offensive, marketing-fueled attempt at appealing to nationalism to rape consumers on margin.

Edited by Left Coast Guy

RUSH2112
Yeah, I forget RWG is probably mostly UK in its membership base. Regardless, here stateside, this is the latest cottage brand that is being marketed like Coca-Cola down our throats. I mean in terms of marketing dollars, I'd bet Shinola is getting close to the major luxury brands in its spend.

Nice article baires...thanks!

Since you're left coast guy I'm sure you're familair with xetum

Left Coast Guy

Yeah, I've seen those a bit. They are at least autos though and use swiss mov'ts, not much different from Hamilton in that respect right?

RUSH2112

Yeah, I've seen those a bit. They are at least autos though and use swiss mov'ts, not much different from Hamilton in that respect right?

But pricey

Cannibal

I don't get it either. Why pay a premium for a really average quartz watch just because it's 'made in the USA'.

Meh, you'll never get my money, Shinola.

dfq23

I don't get it either. Why pay a premium for a really average quartz watch just because it's 'made in the USA'.

Meh, you'll never get my money, Shinola.

They buy really average cars over there just cos they are made in the USA

RussP

Shinola.

An American brand?

I'd never have guessed !

Still wouldn't touch one with the proverbial barge pole.

Cubic Hare

They should market them with a soundbyte from The Knack song - M m m m MY Shinola.....

RussP

Yeah.............just like Mitsubishi did with the Cordia...............I'm old enough to remember that one.

Ishmael

Yep you guys are right. Transparent marketing "made in USA" bullshit. Opportunistic capitalism at its best. Emblematic of corporate greed built on hyperconsumerism. Definitely overpriced...

Then again so is an $800 AP ROO rep with no guarantee you don't have a paperweight 3 months in. Hmmm… remind me what we're calling a "joke" again?

How about to each his own? How about people can spend their money on whatever the fuck they want? I personally like the design, and spending my money on one in no way demands an assent to their ridiculous marketing scheme. In case you hadn't noticed, this is the essence of the American free market. Everything is overpriced. Everything is proffered in a gleaming capsule of American marketing. Don't be a lemming, ignore the incessant ads (not just for Shinola, for everything), and buy whatever you want. Or don't. Who gives a fuck?

I'm as tired of "I hate Shinola" rants just as much as I am of the actual ads. For every brand in the world, rep or gen, there are thousands of people here who think "no way in hell", and thousands more thinking "yep sign me up". I love my Runwell. I love the case, the curved lugs, the dial, the reliability of the quartz. I buy what I like, and I don't need the snobbish assurance that other people agree with me.

Oh by the way… this was "just a rant" :)

Kcore
Yep you guys are right. Transparent marketing "made in USA" bullshit. Opportunistic capitalism at its best. Emblematic of corporate greed built on hyperconsumerism. Definitely overpriced...

Then again so is an $800 AP ROO rep with no guarantee you don't have a paperweight 3 months in. Hmmm… remind me what we're calling a "joke" again?

How about to each his own? How about people can spend their money on whatever the fuck they want? I personally like the design, and spending my money on one in no way demands an assent to their ridiculous marketing scheme. In case you hadn't noticed, this is the essence of the American free market. Everything is overpriced. Everything is proffered in a gleaming capsule of American marketing. Don't be a lemming, ignore the incessant ads (not just for Shinola, for everything), and buy whatever you want. Or don't. Who gives a fuck?

I'm as tired of "I hate Shinola" rants just as much as I am of the actual ads. For every brand in the world, rep or gen, there are thousands of people here who think "no way in hell", and thousands more thinking "yep sign me up". I love my Runwell. I love the case, the curved lugs, the dial, the reliability of the quartz. I buy what I like, and I don't need the snobbish assurance that other people agree with me.

+10000 - Well said!

First, who the fuck are "they?"

Secondly, the thread and rant is about a company, Shinola, their product, and they're marketing. It's not about taking a cheap shot at RWG members' country. But since you brought it up, at least the "really average cars" over here actually run unlike the totally unreliables built on your side of the pond.

Thrasher

The store in San Luis Obispo is really nice they had me until I figured out it was a Quartz movement which I knew was probably dirt cheap and probably not American, I understand some people might appreciate not having to set the date and time and the watch is really good looking but the watches our TDs sell are nice and you can easily put a new swiss movement in. This story really sucks as it just shows what a con job they are pulling and I dont like to be told its American made when in fact its just the super rich sucking more money out of an ignorant american middle class.

machiavegli

Pretty sure I know what the 2016 POTUS candidates will be wearing...

-Mach

porschespeedster

just coming in here to say i'm another person born in the States who knows Shinola is bullshit.

Left Coast Guy

To be clear, anyone can spend their money on what they want -- I'm fine if you say, "it's pretty so I want it", totally reasonable -- but to Shinola, don't piss in my pool and tell me it's raining.....it's not high quality American watchmaking. It's high quality American marketing wrapped around a Fossil watch.

My point then is why can't you just pitch your watch as pretty? Why must you lie and spin this tale about watches made in Detroit?

Read the article baires posted, dead on the point

Realism

because it is made in Detroit....

The same way "Tissots" are made in Switzerland...

I am not even sure what warrants this ranting

Mike on a bike

Found them a while back thought overprice for what it is , now if you want to buy American go here: http://minutemanwatches.com/about-us

dfq23

+10000 - Well said!

First, who the fuck are "they?"

Secondly, the thread and rant is about a company, Shinola, their product, and they're marketing. It's not about taking a cheap shot at RWG members' country. But since you brought it up, at least the "really average cars" over here actually run unlike the totally unreliables built on your side of the pond.

We pretty much only build japanese cars over here now and they're fairly reliable.

Jaguar are indian, mini are german as are bentley and rolls.

In a similar way most americans only buy american beer and as monty python pointed out that stuff is like making love in a canoe.... fucking close to water!

My point was that some people will buy any old shit if it has their flag on it or is made in their country. The marketing is targeted at the kind of buyer who probably has an american flag in his yard, only drinks bud, stands up for the anthem and puts his hand on his heart and won't buy one of those them there foreign automobiles and mistakenly thinks he is helping his country by buying a watch made there... with parts probably all made in china.

A lot of americans are very patriotic people and much respect to them for that, and the advertising men are just playing to that post 9/11 audience and bigging up the fact that it's made in the USA and using a name from a product from days gone by to invoke feelings of nostalgia and the sentimentality for when america truly was #1. Making sure everyone knows the watches are made in DETROIT and not boise, idaho shows their intentions.

It's just the same as how mini make a big thing here about the 60s and swinging britain even though all the new one has in common is the name.

They aren't made and marketed for the kind of people on here. Most of us are professional people who understand that the world has changed and know that swiss watches are the best, the germans design the best cars, the koreans now produce the best electronics and that the chinese make everything, but as is said over and over again it's peoples money, it's their choice.

Accurist promote the fact they are a British watch brand and have the union jack on their products. Don't see many of them on wrist check..

You can be patriotic without being a mug

UmpaHimself

Yeah, my best friends girlfriend asked me about them because she knows I like watches. After I looked them up I just laughed, and highly advised against it.