Sign in to follow this  
vax

21J movement

vax

I cannot find much info on this movement. We all know how much can be saved by going this route but does this movement hold up for years? Will this movement properly run a 4th hand (GMT)?

I see you can buy a replacement 21J movement for @15 dollars but I can't swap it out. Mite be the right way to go for someone who can. Will the Swiss and clone ETA last longer and work better? What movement will go the distance? What maintenance is needed?

I would think a great rep should have the best movement? I want years out of a good rep. I want a good bargain like the next guy but I have a drawer full of dead, cheap reps...

sugaray

I Have several 21J watches that are 3- five year old and they still run great. The only thing is you should wear them about once a month to give them a good wind. the swiss/asia etas do move much smoother though.

KBH

The 21j series have lots of fans but the only 21j that I like is the GMT. At least it's manufactured to be a GMT rather than the Swiss or clone 2836-2 that's got a fake GMT hand stuck on it with a couple of gears and put together in a Chinese factory.

Other than that I've pretty much gone to all 28xx movement watches.

rychastings

I have heard that eta clones are a lot easier to service than asian 21j movements although I have never tried to get a rep serviced before...

greg_r

21Js are cheap, mostly reliable and, as KBH says, the GMT version is generally a better bet that some of the higher priced options. Just bear in mind that '21j' is a generic term that covers a fairly wide range of movements - some of the really cheap '21j' watches you'll see around are using inferior movements. You'll be fine with those supplied by our trusted dealers though.

They're generally not possible to service as parts aren't available - however the movement itself is very inexpensive, so simply replacing a faulty movement costs little more than a full service would anyhow.

greg_r

21Js are cheap, mostly reliable and, as KBH says, the GMT version is generally a better bet that some of the higher priced options. Just bear in mind that '21j' is a generic term that covers a fairly wide range of movements - some of the really cheap '21j' watches you'll see around are using inferior movements. You'll be fine with those supplied by our trusted dealers though.

They're generally not possible to service as parts aren't available - however the movement itself is very inexpensive, so simply replacing a faulty movement costs little more than a full service would anyhow.

Brightlight

Is there an echo..............?

Akira

echo....echo....cho...ho...o...o

greg_r

damn. evil twin struck again. :D

vax

Thanks for the input.

Since I like the GMT the most, the thoughts on that are well received. I will search the forms again for more info on the 21J and how it deals with GMT. I have a 21J GMT coming and I will test it against my clone and ETA GMT's.

I did find one post about the 4th hand only needs 3 or 4 parts added and the ETA/clones did not do it right. I hope to see some technical posts on this movement.

Great site here, thanks

SirDomino

I am currently debating a Rolex DSSD with either the high quality 21J movement or the genuine Swiss ETA 2836.

I am wondering which is the most reliable in the long-run? I know the 21J movements are cheap to completely replace, so I am wondering just how reliable the 2836 is and if it does need servicing, what do the costs range in? I know when I looked at the A7750 servicing it was close to $230 + shipping.

Any input would be appreciated.

greg_r

21js are impossible to service. You either fit a new one or throw the watch away.

For a watch that's going to be a long-time keeper, go for the swiss option. Parts are readily available and servicing is no problem. Costs depend on what the issue is, but if you have a look at Brightlight's subforum you'll find a post containing his usual prices for the more common jobs, which are relatively inexpensive. An ETA 2836 is a LOT cheaper to service than an A7750 - partly because parts are easily available (spare parts for an A7750 generally involve salvaging them from another movement).

The ETA movement is used in many gens, so it's extremely reliable. The unknown quantity is how it's been treated before it was fitted to your watch. My advice is that if you're going to go to that extent, buy your DSSD from BK. Not only is it the best DSSD rep out there at the moment, but BK's quality control is excellent - your watch should prove reliable for years.

So, ultimately, my advice is to either go for something at around $149, enjoy it while it lasts (which could well be several years) and then just buy a new one when it dies - or spend the full $400-ish and buy the best, which with periodic servicing should last as long as a gen.