Sign in to follow this  
Degsy1880

cheapo or 2nd hand seiko what model

Degsy1880

ha ha not quite whos got the best seiko question but here goes :help3:

going on summer hols soon and dont want to take any of the watches I have in the box as non of them really tested for swimming etc..

ill be doing a fair bit of snorkling (ocean) and the obligatory pool time. looking for a decent beater but on a tight budget (spent too much recently on reps). I see you can pick up some decent 2nd hand seikos on ebay and the likes , what are some decent models to look out for on a budget. Reading about that models have different make letters M for like Malasia and J Japan are they both of equal quality or should I avoid certain model letters or can someone explain in more detail.

Last question Rubber strap or Brady

Have always wanted to do a seiko FF DIY but funds wont allow yet.

cheers for the time Seiko dudes

D.

RichardMiami

moved to GD

WatchDog21

If looking to buy off of eBay be careful of the sellers from the Philippines. If it does not have to be a Seiko this one has worked out great for me and is less than $100 on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timex-Mens-Intelligent-Quartz-Depth-Gauge-Orange-Dial-Watch-T2N812DH-/261818756300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf59d2ccc

18576807751_e66f8a4675_z.jpg

elp

If looking to buy off of eBay be careful of the sellers from the Philippines. If it does not have to be a Seiko this one has worked out great for me and is less than $100 on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cf59d2ccc

18576807751_e66f8a4675_z.jpg

+1

WP_20150607_13_09_34_Pro_zpsxdhxkcas.jpg

Great watch, my suggestion to anyone snorkelling / diving with watches is use a NATO/Zulu. If one of the springbars pops out, you won't lose your watch. Ask me how I learned that lesson ..... although I did go back for the Citizen Aqualand on the next dive and found it again :D

Harkin Banks

The 809s can be had really cheap, as low as $45 new, but not a dive watch. The 55s/57s are reasonable as well. I have purchased a few seikos from this ebay seller. $120 for the 55 and you can do the FFF mod one day. Might not get here in time for your holiday though.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20fc9a44de

Degsy1880

Timex looks interesting for water watch similar to 7000 - 7002 style seiko I think

keep them coming guys

that ebay link is interesting but its US seller and says may not ship to uk. Anyone had any decent finds second hand auction finds

found one of those timex on there though works out £65:08 shipped hhhmmm interesting

Malkovich

What exactly is the budget?

That said, an SKX007, SKX009 or older Monster may do. The SKX looks great on many strap or bracelet combos, and a very legit diver for a bit over US$100.

Those new can be bought relatively cheap from Japanese retailers (think Rakuten) because of the low JPY, at least to the USD.

Don't worry about the M versus J, or even K. Same quality, and likely made in the same factories outside of Japan. Common thinking is that only the more high end Seikos are made in Japan, ie Grand Seiko or Credor lines.

Avoid second hand from the Philippines.

Degsy1880

Cheers mal I'll do more research and have a look round

D.

trailboss99

7002 or a monster are the pick of used Seikos mate. As mentioned above DO NOT buy from the Philippines. There are a couple of good dealers there (and some real good parts dealers) but way more than their fair share of crooks selling fakes.

Oh, and moved to Seiko section.

WatchDog21

7002 or a monster are the pick of used Seikos mate. As mentioned above DO NOT buy from the Philippines. There are a couple of good dealers there (and some real good parts dealers) but way more than their fair share of crooks selling fakes.

Oh, and moved to Seiko section.

+1 Victim of a Philippines eBay seller here, but D_Chico has come to the rescue of my 7002

Bash64

You do need to be careful of the Phillipines, but I have had good luck with some Seikos that have come through there. You can get a gen at a good deal if you are careful. I only purchase from one seller there and he has been honest and fair priced.