Sign in to follow this  
KeNnY

My 50 years old russian pocket watch - conversion

KeNnY

Hello all,

so, this is my pocket watch, given to me from my grandpa about 10 years ago. It was broken then (the crown is broken) so therefore it is not possible to wind it.

From that day, the watch was carefully placed into damage proof metal box and was stored under the bed for "things not needed now"... After 10 years, when I started my watch addiction (middle of 2010), I remembered that I have stored an pocked watch when I was a boy.

s6301035.jpg

Well I picked it up and opened the back and carefully checked what is the problem. The problem is the crown stem. It is broken in half (half is connected into watch and other half - crown is missing). The watch is CCCP made, and it is 18 jewels. And than I got great idea, how about creating my OWN super watch ? Like some big pilot style watch ? B) And now this is something that I wanted to share with you. IF somebody could help me a little, if it will fit the same 44mm case like for Hamilton pocket watch movement. Or every other great suggestion would be appreciated to service my watch to top condition again. Now the pictures for your pleasure.

s6301036.jpg

s6301037.jpg

s6301038i.jpg

s6301039r.jpg

s6301040.jpg

s6301041.jpg

On the backplate it is written 2568/71 and 2142/72 so those are maybe service checks or something what had been done in years 71 and 72. Also if someone could tell me exact life of the movement it self :Whistle: Thank you all.

sconehead

..it was manufactured in the second quarter of 1966...just do a search for Molnija or molly and you'll find these are used in vintage Pam builds as they're basically a cloned Cortebert 6xx series movement...B)

KeNnY
..it was manufactured in the second quarter of 1966...just do a search for Molnija or molly and you'll find these are used in vintage Pam builds as they're basically a cloned Cortebert 6xx series movement...;)

yea ! I was trying to translate the name of the watch :Whistle: yea I got them ! thank you very much B)

molnija1b.jpg

KBH

There are thousands, if not millions, of those around. They generally go for about $40 - $75 on eBay. I've got a 3601 and 3602 laying around. In fact after looking at them, one is the same model except it's from it's 1964 and has 15 jewels rather than 18.

That one's a 3601 with the Cotes de Geneve bridges. The 3602 models have a taller canon pin and are much easier to convert in Pams but unfortunately don't have the fancy finish.

KeNnY

ok so the watch has Molnija 3602 movement for sure :D it has got that super dupper regulator installed. The crown was broken, like the watch has hit the wall really hard or ground really hard on the position where crown was, because the crown holder was out of his place (glad not broken or bended) and also one holder of dial (pin holding dial and movement together) was broken. But after removing dial, fixing the crown holder, and used the broken stem to try to wind the watch, the watch started ticking with no problem :lol: so now I need only new stem, dial, case and I can build my new own watch... will continue in this topic If there will be something new. thanks for looking

KGB: yea thanks ;) but it is good that I have this type of movement for "free". I wanted an watch with this type of movement installed (asian 6498 hand wind , the pocket watch movement). On the movement there is written 3602 so it should be 3602. It is really great, that it survive with working condition after 45 years.

trailboss99

Awww come on! You grand dad gave it to you, get the stem replaced, give a polish, use some acrylic polish on the crystal and make it look nice. It will last you forever. Every one needs at least one pocket watch.

Col.

KeNnY
Every one needs at least one pocket watch.

Hm , do you have one ? show me picture please :D I don't always go in formal to wear pocket watch.

DenGNNJ
Awww come on! You grand dad gave it to you, get the stem replaced, give a polish, use some acrylic polish on the crystal and make it look nice. It will last you forever. Every one needs at least one pocket watch.

Col.

great advice. wear it well and keep it for your grandson (when you get one) ... keep it in the family.

KBH

Here's a pocket watch conversion I did last year:

Arnex1.jpg

DSCN3714.jpg

DSCN3717.jpg

That one was super easy since it was a 6498 ETA movement with the stem in the right location.

Here's another that I was playing around with but this movement is now safely back in the gold pocket watch that it was intended for;

DSCN3235.jpg

DSCN3238.jpg

DSCN3255.jpg

That's what your watch would look like with the stem in that position.

trailboss99
Hm , do you have one ?

Dude, I buy and sell watches for a living, of cause I do.

Col.

KeNnY

KGB nice pictures. For the dial position of 12 hour, I will buy new dial, this one is scratched by the hands and also it has got broken holding pin (but I will still keep it). I must check other dials where they have holding pins, so that I will have 12 hours like it should be, second hand at 9 o clock and crown at 3 o clock.

Trailboss ok :) I don't see many people now with pocket watches these days.