Sign in to follow this  
WatchDog21

Your thoughts on the Luminox 9421; Opinions or Advise

WatchDog21

I have been looking at a Luminox 9421. The only reviews I have found were on Amazon and there was nothing really negative on this model. I have read many reviews on Luminox in general and there is a fair amount of less than happy comments on some models. I am looking for any input from others mostly on this particular model.

Because of so many mixed reviews on the quality of the brand in general is Luminox one to avoid? This particular one can be had for about $450. Here it is, what do you think?

18907619546_c9dc5d26a2_z.jpg

Mr Stubbs

I like the style of the P-38. At less than $500 these have as much value as anything else in the price range. I have no personal experience with it to share. A lot of the criticism of Luminox involves the weakness of the Navy Seal Colormark plastic case. (The steel case of the replicas resolves the durability issue, I have a third rep incoming ATM).

I give the P-38 a thumbs up. :thumbsup:

WatchDog21
I like the style of the P-38. At less than $500 these have as much value as anything else in the price range. I have no personal experience with it to share. A lot of the criticism of Luminox involves the weakness of the Navy Seal Colormark plastic case. (The steel case of the replicas resolves the durability issue, I have a third rep incoming ATM). I give the P-38 a thumbs up. :thumbsup:

That's an unusual twist when the rep has a better quality on its build than the gen! I do remember most reviews were on that Navy Seal and there were several negative reviews on the tubes they use for the lume; to the point of falling apart!

Mr Stubbs

Wish I had a link, but my understanding is there's only a single manufacturer of the gas tubes. Problem with some Lumi's was the tubes coming unglued from the hands. I did look into getting a gen because they're not hyper expensive. Kind of changed my mind when I could have three reps for the same price. I am a cheapskate. :lol:

chickenflex

I like the style of the P-38. At less than $500 these have as much value as anything else in the price range. I have no personal experience with it to share. A lot of the criticism of Luminox involves the weakness of the Navy Seal Colormark plastic case. (The steel case of the replicas resolves the durability issue, I have a third rep incoming ATM).

... is there a P-38 rep?

WatchDog21

... is there a P-38 rep?

Haven't seen one during my browsing but then again I was not looking very hard for a rep

rickyrosey

I have a luminox recon and they are really nice good value for money, very comfortable because of the low weight, the gas tubes work very nice not very bright but a good constant glow

Del

Don't know anything about that particular model (looks good though) but I love my Navy Seal Colormark. Haven't had a single issue with it and it glows constantly all night - it truly is readable in all light (or lack of). :)

14137532027_084b4e35a4_b.jpg

WatchDog21

I have a luminox recon and they are really nice good value for money, very comfortable because of the low weight, the gas tubes work very nice not very bright but a good constant glow

Good to hear since this was what most negative remarks were talking about.

Don't know anything about that particular model (looks good though) but I love my Navy Seal Colormark. Haven't had a single issue with it and it glows constantly all night - it truly is readable in all light (or lack of). :)

Initially I thought hands down,no question as to Luminox quality. Then I saw the negative comments about the Navy Seals. It did concerned me but since I was looking at a different model I still wanted to check it out. Now hearing the good experiences with the Navy Seal model that others had complained about does help make me feel more confident on this one. It caught my eye since it had a totally different look than most of the others.

Steve36

As an alternative have you considered the UK brand of nite watches? Pretty much the same idea as luminox traser and the like. I've owned a few as work watches and never let me down.... Check them out might be an alternative

WatchDog21

As an alternative have you considered the UK brand of nite watches? Pretty much the same idea as luminox traser and the like. I've owned a few as work watches and never let me down.... Check them out might be an alternative

Not familiar with the brand but I will give them a look over. Thanks

Mr Stubbs

Thanks for the suggestion Steve36. Nite Watches look very high quality. I like the ICON T100 series in particular.

I'd have to sell half of my rep collection to buy one though. :unsure:

Or I can get another of these for $72. After all, this is Replica Watch Guide. :lol:

Lumi2_zpsia372wc4.jpg

Mike on a bike

Have one also, light as a feather never a problem

WatchDog21

I stopped into a Luminox AD yesterday and tried this on. While I was trying it on I took off my Steinhart Nav B-URH and laid it down on the jewelers mat.

I like it, it looks great but there was just something that told me no.

Now I don't know if the Steinhart was an "indicator" to the clerk that "yes he will spend money on a nice watch", but I took a look at the price tag and just said something like ... Ok so this one is $825... The salesperson walked over to a calulator and gave me a price with an immediate 20% off without any question.

Anyway I did not but it because there was a Seiko that I also want to go look and try so I kindly said thank you and left.

Ordered the Seiko today off Amazon.

digger2

Like Del says the glow is constant, very handy sometimes, I bought a used gen titanium model and I'm very pleased with it, also have a Ball hydrocarbon but that watch is more like a expedition or extreme tour watch. Hope you will like the Seiko!

WatchDog21
Like Del says the glow is constant, very handy sometimes, I bought a used gen titanium model and I'm very pleased with it, also have a Ball hydrocarbon but that watch is more like a expedition or extreme tour watch. Hope you will like the Seiko!

Thanks! For the money at this time I am happy to hold off and will do a different and most likely a less expensive model on the Luminox. I should have the Seiko in a few day and am pretty confident that I am going to enjoy it. It will be totally different from my other Seiko's. I will be posting some pic's once it arrives. :D