Sign in to follow this  
paulvillo

To swap or not to swap (crystals)?

paulvillo

This 5002 is my first IWC, recently picked it up over m2m on brother forum.

While cleaning it, I noticed the AR is somewhat scratched and is purple instead of blue.

A friend has this gold BP/perpetual mashup below that was understandably never used. Same case, cheaper construction, cheapest 23j, crap deploy/strap, super lightweight and 2009 year cannot be adjusted. Interestingly enough, both reps share the same serial number.

I'm considering swapping crystals, since my v1 has a purplish colored AR whereas the golden monster’s crystal is almost clear with a hint of blue (visible on the edges).

c2e8ffda46753b600e7a19d65838788d.jpg

Notice the light reflection right in the middle and the edges, definitely purple on my 5002:

4ee9e3dfcee045f17d918ba46ebb33f9.jpg

Now on the gold BP perpetual the reflection looks white and you can see blue along the edges of the crystal/case:

088feef320f5bee161a66304443df974.jpg

I'm really on the fence right now. Should I swap the crystals or not?

I mean, do you IWC experts think it's a good idea to swap the crystals as per above?

Thanks in advance guys.

PV

Prancuzas

I think yes, gen IWCs AR always have some blue hue, and in my opinion they look especially good on black dials.

I would say go for it - that's the fun of watch hobby - experimenting, trying to achieve something that You like Yourself :)

paulvillo
I think yes, gen IWCs AR always have some blue hue, and in my opinion they look especially good on black dials.

I would say go for it - that's the fun of watch hobby - experimenting, trying to achieve something that You like Yourself :)

Thanks for the input Prancuzas!

If you look at the dial on the gold IWC above, it's noticeable that it reflects more light than my BP.

I don't have the skills to tell if this has something to do with the AR (if it's double or not); or the quality of the crystal; or if it's the glossier dial finish in comparison with the matte black on the BP...? Damn, I love this hobby! :P

Edited by paulvillo

paulvillo

Thanks for the input Prancuzas!

If you look at the dial on the gold IWC above, it's noticeable that it reflects more light than my BP.

I don't have the skills to tell if this has something to do with the AR (if it's double or not); or the quality of the crystal; or if it's the glossier dial finish in comparison with the matte black on the BP...? Damn, I love this hobby! :P

While looking for info, one simple idea came up to find out if this is the Crystals' AR or dial reflection issue as per above... Just switch them cases.. duh :lolcina:

As soon as I get home I'll try it out and post the results here.

paulvillo

Not much love for the IWCs lately I guess since this thread has had quite some viewers but almost no feedback :(

paulvillo

Like I promised, here's a pic of the final result: crystal swapped, dial and hands cleaned and voilà:

71ae1ce0ae30aa72cd6545ee9e0fc146.jpg

Turns out I definitely need a gen dial, hands and relume... Crap :)

Cheers

Edited by paulvillo

ryaku

Good job! Unfortunately we are never satisfied and gen IWC parts are a true addiction. :D

paulvillo

Good job! Unfortunately we are never satisfied and gen IWC parts are a true addiction. :D

Good to know mate ;) Next step is a good quality brown riveted strap.. Having a hard time finding one

Edited by paulvillo

krag90

How hard was it and what kind of tools do you need?

paulvillo
How hard was it and what kind of tools do you need?

You'll need a crystal press to pop it out/in.

Seems easy if you have the skills not to break anything, which was not the case so I left it to my WS.