Sign in to follow this  
hnic

what version Rolex gmt blnr would you advise?!

hnic

hi guys

any experiences with the latest gmt blnr?

ive seen noob versions, bp..

looking for experiences

the gmt is 'new' to me

looking for a nice piece

thanks

NFleischer

I think there may be 3 versions, JF, BP and Noob. Looking at Puretimes pictures; looks to (me anyway) JF is the nicest.

Then Noob, and finally BP- like most reps now. I don't think the 'Batman' is on the par of the V5 Sub for example.

hnic

that was i was thinking

wish it was up there with the v5 sub

like to get some good quality and dont mind paying for it

thanks anyway!

NFleischer

I'm not a total geek, but I think the JF looks pretty darn good. Luckily with these things even the last place finisher

ain't too bad. BP qc isn't up to the others and their 'Swiss' movements may as well be from Mars but they usually look ok.

hnic

i might try the jf version

Barth

I had the BP (before a 'modder' stole it off me), and it was a really nice watch. Solid gen-like feel, nice looks. The eta movement was very good too.

GenTLe

I have seen qc pics from J12 sent from another member, bought a Noob for a colleague and I have a ProHunter GMT Batman.

The J12 has half bezel painted blue and in the qc I have seen the blue paint border rounded and not a straight line between blue and black. A no-no for me.

The Noob one with full ceramic bi-color bezel was wonderful, the only problem was that the little bracelet extender (the one that resides within the clasp) was very stiff. But I have other 2 Noob (an explorer and a milgauss) with the same system and it is perfect. So probably just an imperfect assemblage of that piece.

About the bp: dial and case are ok, but the movement gave me problems and in the end I had to replace it.

Having to choose one now I'd go for the Noob.

hnic
I had the BP (before a 'modder' stole it off me), and it was a really nice watch. Solid gen-like feel, nice looks. The eta movement was very good too.

stole?

and thanks again for the input

markeym3

I have the noob version from Toro ,,, really nice ,, but the a2836 went tits up and the gmt hand only works when it feels like it ,,

NFleischer

I didn't realize JF has a painted bezel- in that case I'd get the Noob.

hnic

hmm seems to have some different problems from different makers

kennycoder

Noob has the best bezem imho. I had the platinum mod done on it and it's stunning. Most likely it will be hitting M2M today. Haven't used it much at all since I got the Aqua Terra.

hnic

hows the bracelet?!

kennycoder

hows the bracelet?!

Mine. Quite good actually. No complaints. All the screws are in place, feels quite smooth. Maybe I got lucky because some people complain about the quality of latest noobs version

Prcowboy

My batman just came in along with my other gmt black I'll post it here soon once I get home I'll post multiple pics, trusty time has best in my opinion.

Prcowboy
Noob has the best bezem imho. I had the platinum mod done on it and it's stunning. Most likely it will be hitting M2M today. Haven't used it much at all since I got the Aqua Terra.

Who did you mods? I'm looking toget that done with my black and I'd like toget the cyclops straightened out!

Prcowboy
I have the noob version from Toro ,,, really nice ,, but the a2836 went tits up and the gmt hand only works when it feels like it ,,

Is the a2836 no good? Which would be better, I have the toro v5 gmt black and notice the gmt hand should be 5 hours ahead which is what I set it as and now it's occasional 10 hrs or 3 hours ahead lol.

markeym3

Is the a2836 no good? Which would be better, I have the toro v5 gmt black and notice the gmt hand should be 5 hours ahead which is what I set it as and now it's occasional 10 hrs or 3 hours ahead lol.

I am not too sure what went wrong , I am very careful when and how I set the time on all my watches ,, when you fast set the gmt hand it jumps as it should no problem but then it feels like the gears dont mesh anymore ... but a smooth sweeping seconds none the less and still keeps good time ..

GenTLe

2836 is ok. But sometime a wrong one happens.... In the end they are Chinese ;)

Prcowboy

Well I really want the most reliable one, after all its a rep and I can rebuy one in a couple years but I rather have the watch for little longer and have a more reliable movement. Or the best movement that is closest to 1:1 without being an actual refurbished mvt.

rusty peters

I would personally go for the 21j version. It was designed as a GMT movement and it will save you some money too.

GenTLe

Well I really want the most reliable one, after all its a rep and I can rebuy one in a couple years but I rather have the watch for little longer and have a more reliable movement. Or the best movement that is closest to 1:1 without being an actual refurbished mvt.

The "closest 1:1" doesn't exist in this game, unless you go for brands that use the Eta pieces like most Tudor, Longines, Breitlings etc. Then the Asian Eta are the closest ( without getting a gen Eta from a real official seller).

Actually you can find Chinese copy of Rolex movements in Submariner. At 100$ more than the Asian Eta and with their typical unreliability and Total lack of spare parts...

The possibility that something is not fully ok with a watch assembled with parts subject to laughable quality checks, by not certified technicians, in evironments witch surely aren't clean like Seiko/Eta workplace is high. And you can't do anything about that (unless get the gen one that costs 10-200 times more depending on the piece).

So in the end in my view the less risky are the 2836 for this specific application. Consider that they are modified 2836 because the GMT function doesn't exist in that calibre.

Or, better, the less risky are the 21j with native gmt function, but they beat at 21600BPH and the gen modern Rolexes are all at 28800BPH, so the 21j will scream fake looking at how the second hand moves...

porkman65

I have 3 GMTs with the 2836 movement and I have never had issues with any of them!.

Personally I would go for the latest Noob version.

Prcowboy

Ya I see, so Gentle is saying I can't have my damn cake and F'ing eat it too?! :P lol

Then maybe I got a lemon lol. That is just my luck, the gmt black came from toro. I guess I understand maybe if they had a V6 gmt then that gmt hand will be more compatible with the 2836 eta components. I'd rather have a watch with higher beats then being able to lack there of.

GenTLe
Ya I see, so Gentle is saying I can't have my damn cake and F'ing eat it too?! :P lol

Then maybe I got a lemon lol. That is just my luck, the gmt black came from toro. I guess I understand maybe if they had a V6 gmt then that gmt hand will be more compatible with the 2836 eta components. I'd rather have a watch with higher beats then being able to lack there of.

More or less :)

Just remember that the versions normally have nothing to do with the calibre (with few exceptions like the 7750 when it got the skeletonized transfer gears in sec@6) and are only related to aesthetic improves (for example Noob submariner ceramic v5 got the bezel numbers painted platinum while the v4 had them plain white) :)

Anyway don't be too scared: even if the things go terribly wrong, a 2836 is around 90$ and the GMT mod can be easily transferred to a standard one (by a watch technician... No, not those at the shopping mall stall that at most know to replace a quartz battery) ;)