Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Genesis

Vintage Rolex Advice

Mr. Genesis

Hello everyone,

I've been wanting a Vintage Rolex for a long time now, so I've decided that I'll buy one in a couple of weeks.

I was looking for a watch with theses characteristics: Vintage Sub/Sea Dweller, Domed crystal, No cyclops, Beige dots

To get something like this:

4.jpg

While I was doing my research, I found that I really like the Rolex 1665 Double Red Seadweller. The only thing is that the dots looks more yellow on the rep and more beige on the gen. So I was wondering if someone has it and could tell me how it looks in person?

REP

1.jpg

2.jpg

GEN

3.jpg

My budget is 100-150$, so if you have any other suggestion for a cheap vintage sub/sea dweller, feel free to post it here! :)

Thanks

-------------------------------- UPDATE 05-08-2015 --------------------------------

I bought a Submariner 1680 red from Silix and I absolutely love it! To answer my question, the dots aren't to yellow, the color is more beige like I wanted.

I'll take the time to do a review soon, but here's a phone picture of my watch on a Martu strap and bleached bezel insert :)

Rolex_1680.jpg

Edited by Mr. Genesis

FindingSerenity

Most of the replica vintage Subs out there have that tone of yellow lume. It's usually not as bad as the stock photos show, but they do lack that "naturally aged" appearance in person.

I knocked down the yellow tone by spraying the dial with some matte spray (which can make the lume plots a little lighter) and others have left their dials in the sun for a while to fade.

In addition, you can always have it relumed or try to find one that has the stark white plots instead and try to age them yourself.

Edited by FindingSerenity

LunchMoney

In general, what is the price range to have a dial re-lumed.

Mr. Genesis

Most of the replica vintage Subs out there have that tone of yellow lume. It's usually not as bad as the stock photos show, but they do lack that "naturally aged" appearance in person.

I knocked down the yellow tone by spraying the dial with some matte spray (which can make the lume plots a little lighter) and others have left their dials in the sun for a while to fade.

In addition, you can always have it relumed or try to find one that has the stark white plots instead and try to age them yourself.

Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. As for the modding, the only thing I would probably do by myself is the bezel fading, because I don't want to scrap my watch by opening it. I don't have a big budget so I won't have it relumed. I'm also not expecting much with the budget I have, but I just don't want ugly yellow dots :P

If any of you have pictures of your stock vintage Rolex, feel free to post it for examples! Thanks everyone :)

Mr. Genesis

Spent a little bit more, and put a yuki dial in that watch

http://www.yukiwatch...843/9949419.htm

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll have to stick to my budget.

Mr. Genesis

I updated my first post with a picture of what I bought and the answer to my question in case it could help someone later. :)

Wasserman

I updated my first post with a picture of what I bought and the answer to my question in case it could help someone later. :)

Looks very nice and not too yellow or shiny. I had one a while back but the lume was to shiny and yellow. Enjoy wearing that one.