Sign in to follow this  
Roivster

YACTH-MASTER JF V2, HOW TO CHANGE CRYSTAL TUTORIAL, PIC HEAVY

Roivster

Hello everybody

I got my new Yacth-master JF V2, and just after 2 hour the crystal had gotten a scratch, and this has never happened too me before.

This crystal is a mineral crystal, not a Scratch-proof sapphire crystal as announced on the TD’s sites.

Well I just have to change the Crystal, but how to??

I’m just I guy how loves watches and brings my watches to a watch smith when ever they need a service.

And bringing a rep to watch smith is not my thing.

Reason for writing this tutorial is that I could not find any info on how to remove bezel on a Yacht-Master her on the forum, goggle or on YouTube. Also I did not find any info on the crystal thickness and the height of the gasket.

Have read that bezel assemble is the same as on the Rolex Sub’s but there is some versions of the YM that do have a different bezel assemble and one can damage the spring/wire that holds the bezel to the watch.

My biggest worry was how to not break the bezel assemble, as I have done on a GMT, (had to ship the watch back to China to get it fixed).

This will help those how are thinking of changing crystal, tightening bezel on their Yacht-Master JF V2 watch.

Someone told me that to get the crystal out you will have to remove the case-back and take out the movement to get the job done.

Well that is not all true, you can get the crystal of by just removing the bezel, but I did it the hard way.

I removed the movement and discovered that one has to remove bezel to get the crystal mounted back inn.

This watch was very easy to work with, movement came out real easy and bezel came off without any pressure.

Will not go in to how to remove movement, there is tutorials on “how to” on the forum.

I did discover that I don’t need a crystal press to get the bezel back on this watch, I did use the press at first, but it did not press the bezel all the way down and left some play in it.

Removed bezel and pressed down the retainer ring by hand (tools), gave the bezel a tight fit and as you can see a also put on some extra double side tape on the insert.

If you are thinking of getting a new crystal to your YM, I will highly recommend, it really brings out the best in the watch, the beautiful blue dial deserve a better crystal. A Clack 1,8mm crystal and a 2,35mm gasket will do the job or if you want to go all the way and get a Gen crystal.

On this watch the crystal gasket is 2,35mm and crystal is 1,8mm. The crystal I had lying around after my mistake on the GMT is a 2,2mm crystal. Guess you are thinking that this must be too high for the watch, but actually after applying extra tape on the insert its now better looking than original JF style. Crystal is not too high over the insert.

This is the watch that I have for those how are still wondering what watch I’m talking about:

http://pure-time.com/product/yacht-master-116622-jf-blue-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a2836-v2/

Hope this will help someone out there.

Lets get on with the pirctures:

I started by removing the movement.

image_zpspgzzmij8.jpg

Placed the movement under a glass to minimize dust on the dial.

image_zpshui3ibay.jpg

As you can see I taped the lug to prevent scratches, used a folding knife to get the bezel off, did not require lot of pressure.

image_zpszi5kpi8y.jpg

The assemble is off.

image_zpsydoseyxq.jpg

Bezel assemble.

image_zps0wluk8qs.jpg

Measuring the gasket.

image_zpsxd7fk3cb.jpg

Mounting the new Crystal.

image_zpsskjz0xmw.jpg

Installing the movement, this was the hardest part, not easy to get the clips and the small screws back where they belong.

image_zpsr4u7u94z.jpg

Cyclops lined up over the date

image_zpsbs014zkj.jpg

Bezel assamble taken apart.

image_zpsch0movai.jpg

Double side tape on the insert.

image_zpsykaopomv.jpg

image_zpsqvsouenk.jpg

And now for the result.

image_zps5eut4hop.jpg

image_zpsquk3txnq.jpg

image_zpspb8yc9o2.jpg

image_zpsvpm0xfal.jpg

Here is the crappy crystal that came on this beautiful watch, I tested and it was easy to afflict scratches to the crystal.

image_zpsznyewoyv.jpg

The tools that was used.

image_zpsvv1d4geo.jpg

tubthumper

Good job !

I'm looking to change a crystal on my 5513 , I bought a crystal lifter from the bay , I tried it on one of my old spares an I couldn't remove it , maybe I didn't tighten it enough!

Did your crystal just easily pop out , push out from the inside?

Roivster

Crystal came off by using the handle of a screwdriver and giving it some small taps with the hammer from the back side.

tubthumper

Ok thanks for your reply , I've just ordered a crystal press from the bay! Here we go:)

Roivster

Good luck.

hendrik

Whooo, good job!

Thanks for sharing.

Gazzla

Excellent. Well done!

Del

Moved to Watch Repair. :)

Roivster

Thanks for you help Del.