Sign in to follow this  
stiltzkin

PAM288 crown problem?

stiltzkin

Just received my new PAM288, unscrewed the crown to set the time and now can't screw the crown back in. I've read the problems in the past with threading, so I'm being carful, but the issue appears to be that when the crown is pushed in to the point of the threads meeting, the winding mech has not been disengaged... So there is still (a lot) or resistance and I'm not going to try and force it...

I assume that if I leave it still for a while, the main spring will wind down and I'll be able to screw the crown back down... Is there a better solution to this though without having to involve the dealer?

Thanks!

Member X

Is it an Asian ETA?

I have similar on my SOH - set the date, set the time, then push it back in. If you have only pulled it to the date setting position before trying to screw it back in, it doesn't seem to disengage.

However, that's not a 7750 so please ignore me... LoL :finger:

stiltzkin

It is an A7750 movement. I've tried the inny-outy thing between date, time and back as well as trying different times to see if there was a combination that made the stem disengage. But no luck so far...

KBH

A lot of them are like that. You just have to go ahead and use a little force. The only thing that happens is that you continue to wind the main spring as you screw down the crown.

stiltzkin
A lot of them are like that. You just have to go ahead and use a little force. The only thing that happens is that you continue to wind the main spring as you screw down the crown.

Is it possible that the main spring IS fully wound... I guess that's a silly question, of course it's possible, but there is a lot of resistance there to the point I'm worried about over winding ??

sconehead

Is it possible that the main spring IS fully wound... I guess that's a silly question, of course it's possible, but there is a lot of resistance there to the point I'm worried about over winding ??

Don't worry about overwinding, there's a built in mechanism to prevent this on modern watches...:D

stiltzkin

Thanks for the feedback guys! I've tried again with a little new found confidence based on the feedback and it ain't budging.

As it only arrived this morning should I get the dealer involved or is there anything else I can try that will be quicker?

Thanks again!

KBH

Can you actually still wind the watch or is it stuck so it won't wind? Like Sconey said, you can't over wind an automatic movement.

Member X

Be careful handwinding the 7750s though, Zig on RWG2 has shown how the manual winding gears aren't that great...

Hope you can sort it! :D

stiltzkin
Can you actually still wind the watch or is it stuck so it won't wind? Like Sconey said, you can't over wind an automatic movement.

Disclaimer - what follows, may well be bollocks, but it's what I've concluded...

I just tried winding the watch, which had been sat still/idol for a couple of hours. The Rotor was turning when I wound the watch - where I presume the resistance is coming from. I don't think that is meant to happen? Certainly with my Breitling SA with A7750, which I have just wound for comparison, it doesn’t feel/sound like that is happening. Obviously the SA has a larger crown and therefore more leverage – but doesn’t feel the same.

The other thing that happened, was it got stuck after a few rotation – would not wind any further.

So… Is the Rotor meant to spin when manually winding? (I don’t think so). I do think the watch is in a state of being nearly fully wound right now and I’ve put it back in the drawer to unwind and chill out. I presume this time tomorrow, there will be enough winding space on the spring to get the crown done up – just not an ideal situation.

Does this make sense in terms of diagnostics? Thanks for the advice chaps!

deja123

What for a Date the 288 has no Date ?!

Member X

Hmm... Rotor shouldn't spin when winding!

Can you get a pic of the movement?

stiltzkin
What for a Date the 288 has no Date ?!

It still uses the 7750 movement and the date 'click' is still there - just no date wheel attached. Will also have the day adjuster from what I understand - just not used.

Member X - I shall try and get the back off, but I have no tools. I have some coming in the post though.

My son does have a 4 inch bouncy ball thing that looks a lot like the sticky balls... I'll see what happens :D

Cheers

KBH

If you rotor spins while winding, it means the anti reverse little click assembly (don't know the proper name for it) is not working correctly. Franscisco did a tutorial about repairing it on RG. It's a fairly common problem with the A7750 movements.

But that shouldn't be the cause of not being able to wind it.

Sounds to me like you should either send it back or find a watch smith that will work on 7750 movements and have it looked at. That's too bad on a brand new watch.

Edit: I was just thinking that maybe you inadvertently used the date change mechanism right at midnight while it was changing over and the gears got stuck?

sconehead

hmmm...could be a loose rotor as well...best contact the dealer before messing with it though...:D

ReplicaMake

Mate, you have video how you screw in the crown? We can easily close it before we shipped it.

See, you get it with screw in status :D

Lay

stiltzkin
Mate, you have video how you screw in the crown? We can easily close it before we shipped it.

See, you get it with screw in status :D

Lay

Hi Lay... like lightening as always!! (Don't you ever sleep!!)

I don't have a video, but I can try and capture the problem tomorrow. However, I'll try and describe what I'm doing.

With a little preasure on the crown, turn it anti clockwise to find the 'bite'. Then turn it clockwise to screw in - however, even without trying to screw in the crown, the crown is still VERY hard to turn (In the winding position, not date or time setting). You can hear the mech moving inside when winding, but it does get to a point where it can not be turned any further, until left to unwind for a while.

Cheers Lay

ReplicaMake

Now is my relax time. Jan 01 2010 12.58am :D

Feel free send me video :)

Lay

stiltzkin

Thanks guys. I've contacted the dealer and will see what they say about it... I'm not going to take it apart as I'll do more harm than good. I may have done if it was a sub $100 watch, but it isn't.

However, I do need to find a watch smith in the UK that will work on 7750 movements, as I'd like to get a couple serviced. I've had a couple of suggestions to date, but none in the UK. Any ideas?

I shall be tapping Brightlight in the new year (with a bit of luck) to service my 2824-2 (which is in the post)

Pentax

Lay

Happy new year to you lay!

stiltzkin

Lay

Well Happy New Year (well kind of - you know what I mean)

video is on it's way to you... only i-phone quality, but should show the problem.

Thanks Lay!!

ReplicaMake

Happy new year everybody :D

Got your video, downloading now