Sign in to follow this  
Joebob

Like I need another obsession!

Joebob

I spend *way* too much time scouring the web for vintage microphones and camera lenses. Then I realized, "Hey, watches have tiny parts too!". I don't know what it is about things like these.

My genuine Heuer divers watch which my wife (then girlfriend) bought me back in 1987 had stopped working. I had gone swimming with it with the crown unscrewed. It appeared I was screwed. A local jeweler told me he could send it away to have a new movement, face and hands installed. It was my first "replica". And it sucks. Knowing what the original looked like makes the knockoff look that much worse. Time for a new watch.

I sail too (hey, winches have smallish parts in them!), and saw an ad for a Panerai in a sailing magazine. Like the boats in the magazine, I could only dream of owning something as cool as that. Then I started looking and found RWG. I am the consummate noob. I know nothing about watches other than I like them a lot. I hope to learn some stuff, and hope to find a trusted dealer from whom I can buy a replica or two. Or three. That's how I roll.

I'm looking forward to hanging here. I promise to shut up and listen before I start bullying. Nice to meet y'all.

About me: I live in Northern New England, own and operate a commercial recording studio, prefer the Packers to the Patriots, and my family to all of the aforementioned.

Akira

Hi mate,

nice to have you here.

Panerai gets to everyone at some point.

Right Oooonzey?

Dendo

Hi JoeBob. Welcome and Happy New Year.

Give you a little warning - get out now - this is site is highly addictive and this is not a self help group like alcoholics anonymous.

Anyway - warning is too late - you are already here - welcome and enjoy.

Joebob

Well. That didn't take long. Half an hour into my first real visit to RWG and I've ordered a 104, an 090, and a 111 from Robert. I feel like a kid at a county fair. I hoped to find one quickly, assess the quality, and maybe buy another. But then I would have had to choose. And wait. It's easier this way...

greg_r

... and so it begins... ;)

Welcome Joebob. I see you've made an excellent start. Post pics when the watches arrive! :ttiwwop:

Aren

Hi Joebob,

Welcome to RWG...the best rep forum IMHO.

I don't really know anything about watches either,

but I could spend hours staring at them...

especially the types where I can see the movements.

I really like the skeleton watches. I like to watch

my PAM fiddy running. I think there are good reasons

why these items are called watches.

You will have a great time here. The people here are the best.

Here is my fiddy...

fiddyobverseonred-3.jpg

I hope to buy a nice strap for it this year.

fiddyreverseonred-1.jpg

Have fun and Best Wishes,

Arenaria

Fiddo

Hello! :ttiwwop:

Welcome!

Joebob

So I'm sure I broke protocol. I hope not too badly. I had ordered 3 watches from Robert without spending even an hour on the site. Then I found a PAM194 he was offering. I ordered that and cancelled the original order. I'm not normally a flake, and I fully expect I'll be buying more soon. But the 194 is pretty much my dream watch, and I'm not a rich guy. I explained this to him when I ordered the 194. Though I hadn't sent payment, have I crossed an ethical line in backing out of the first order?

pollux1

I dare say he'll let you off with it this time mate! ;)

chum_2000_uk

Yes, you will be shot at dawn!

Actually I don't think anyone here has any ethics so you should be fine!

pollux1

Ethics should be checked at the front door. It's advisable to have your head checked on the way out though.