Sign in to follow this  
UmpaHimself

What Used Gen for 2k?

UmpaHimself

I've been seeing a few used Tudor Black Bays around the 2k mark and I'm pretty interested. I've been seeing some used Speedies for less too but I dont think I would wear it often enough, although I think it might be worth more in the long run. I've seen some Breitling chronos and some new B&Rs but really the Tudor is the most interesting.

Any recommendations?

Ishmael

How much leeway around $2k? I'd be thinking like you - Tudor, or Speedy. Maybe even an SOH, though a quick search on Joma has 'em for around $2,800 at the cheapest. Hard to go wrong with a Black Bay because they're so versatile, but the Heritage Chrono Blue has my heart… but that's nearer to $4k.

If you're looking outside the big names, I've always been partial to the Eberhard Traversetolo...

56EAB854-F6C9-46A8-8C5B-75391A6952C3_zpsbcvzak5q.jpg

That's anywhere from sub-$1k to $1,500.

UmpaHimself

How much leeway around $2k? I'd be thinking like you - Tudor, or Speedy. Maybe even an SOH, though a quick search on Joma has 'em for around $2,800 at the cheapest. Hard to go wrong with a Black Bay because they're so versatile, but the Heritage Chrono Blue has my heart… but that's nearer to $4k.

If you're looking outside the big names, I've always been partial to the Eberhard Traversetolo...

That's anywhere from sub-$1k to $1,500.

It is very nice but I have my Hamilton to cover the Pilot style and I am looking for a bigger name just for resale purposes if necessary. If I was going around 4k I would be looking at PAMs.

Ishmael

I see. Then you'll probably want to stay away from B&R if you're concerned about resale. From what I've read these aren't the best in that department (also not a huge history from which to judge). A Speedy is probably your best bet, and IMO you can change the look pretty dramatically with bracelet/strap changes. Someone'll come along with much better suggestions, but if its me, at that price range, its a coin flip between the Speedy and the Black Bay.

ellistyle1

How about a Nomos?

UmpaHimself

I see. Then you'll probably want to stay away from B&R if you're concerned about resale. From what I've read these aren't the best in that department (also not a huge history from which to judge). A Speedy is probably your best bet, and IMO you can change the look pretty dramatically with bracelet/strap changes. Someone'll come along with much better suggestions, but if its me, at that price range, its a coin flip between the Speedy and the Black Bay.

I agree about the B&R, plus I only really like the 123 and I think I'd rather have the Tudor. If I see another certified sale online from Guilt or Touch of Modern for the Speedies I just might grab one.

How about a Nomos?

I love them but much too small for me unfortunately. Plus my favorite is that world timer and I can't afford it :lol:

Plus I have this Omega. Once I put it on a nice leather strap I'll be covered in the small dress watch category.

Dau5Yin.jpg

ellistyle1

The worldtimer is 40mm. Youd be surprised at the deal you can snag. I got mine from a chrono24 dealer for a steal (at least not wholly out of line with your 2k budget).

Shoot me a pm if you want the dealer name.

Ishmael

Do it Umpa. E's Nomos is one of the coolest watches I've ever seen.

chuckbass

At the price Jomashop sell Oris for, they've done all of their depreciation already. Plus, you can get 2 of them

Their new collections, the new Aquis and Propilot, are outstanding - I know because I sell them daily at work. Can get good resale on the gen forums if need be. Once I got over the big-name/in-house movement thing, and started just looking at the watch as something to wear and enjoy (although I do derive enjoyment from an in-house movement), I realised just how desirable they are. Oris have the Longines/Tag/Baume et Mercier price bracket totally covered in terms of quality, and value for $$.

(Sorry I just realised thread title said "USED" :boxedin:

Daywatch

Just get the red/gilt Tudor Blackbay and skip all else: fit for any situation, direct from the office to the beach to dinner out, 60 minutes timing ring may be very handy whenever needed, built on outsourced gen Rolex machines, the ETA inside is upgraded and longterm serviceable by any watchsmith in the world with parts available for the next century, it´s got nice and well readable lume, the design will be as attractive in 2 decades as it was some decades ago, You can wear it on leather, Nato, on a gen or even rep bracelet... and overall it´s just a gorgeous watch.

Ishmael

Just get the red/gilt Tudor Blackbay and skip all else: fit for any situation, direct from the office to the beach to dinner out, 60 minutes timing ring may be very handy whenever needed, built on outsourced gen Rolex machines, the ETA inside is upgraded and longterm serviceable by any watchsmith in the world with parts available for the next century, it´s got nice and well readable lume, the design will be as attractive in 2 decades as it was some decades ago, You can wear it on leather, Nato, on a gen or even rep bracelet... and overall it´s just a gorgeous watch.

Can't argue with this!

steve123

Can't argue with this!

Fuck me.. I want a BlackBay now.

UmpaHimself

Do it Umpa. E's Nomos is one of the coolest watches I've ever seen.

I wouldnt mind having one in the collection but maybe at a later point. I know it wouldn't get worn much as I tend to mainly wear tool watches.

At the price Jomashop sell Oris for, they've done all of their depreciation already. Plus, you can get 2 of them

Their new collections, the new Aquis and Propilot, are outstanding - I know because I sell them daily at work. Can get good resale on the gen forums if need be. Once I got over the big-name/in-house movement thing, and started just looking at the watch as something to wear and enjoy (although I do derive enjoyment from an in-house movement), I realised just how desirable they are. Oris have the Longines/Tag/Baume et Mercier price bracket totally covered in terms of quality, and value for $$.

(Sorry I just realised thread title said "USED" :boxedin:

Doesn't have to be used but not really interested in the Oris lineup. Plus if I got the Black Bay I could sell my SD 4000, Pelagos and Snowflake subs to contribute to the purchase.

UmpaHimself

Shit man, I think you put the last nail in the coffin. Really great points. Plus I like it. Now I just have to find the right one.

Ishmael

Shit man, I think you put the last nail in the coffin. Really great points. Plus I like it. Now I just have to find the right one.

How 'bout this for half way… Just got the call today from my local Tudor AD that my Black Bay leather strap and my Heritage Chrono Blue NATO are ready for pick up. Pearls on swine but at least I'll have the look! :)

UmpaHimself

What do you guys think about this one. Has a couple of scratches on the lugs from strap changes but I really could care less. Looks gen to me. he says he has papers and has given me references but the watch is already packed to be shipped. Was hoping to make an ebay deal for the protection but this may be the one if I can get it under 2k.

b5mGmxG.jpg

7jjwH6A.jpg

9RBolic.jpg

yo5dlEe.jpg

UmpaHimself

Im going to try and head to the AD tomorrow before I make any commitments

steve123

scratched bezel at just under 9?

UmpaHimself

At the 55 marker? That's not a dealbreaker.

steve123

At the 55 marker? That's not a dealbreaker.

yeah, thats the one.

hot watch!

UmpaHimself

Watch is payed for. Waiting for tracking

steve123

awesome, congrats!

Genius

Have a look at the junghans max bill... Something completely different but easy within budget, and you have change left for a black bay super rep

Genius
Watch is payed for. Waiting for tracking

Fuck I'm slow aren't I lol

UmpaHimself
awesome, congrats

Thanks! :)

Have a look at the junghans max bill... Something completely different but easy within budget, and you have change left for a black bay super rep

I do like that brand very much but the Tudor won the battle. Definitely something I can wear every day.