Sign in to follow this  
MH_91

What watch would you recommend for my father?

MH_91

My dad is visiting me after 2 years, and i am planning to buy him a gift. He's love watches.

There is lots of gentlemen's out here that are same age as my father. He's 60.

As the title says, what would you recommend?

looking forward for all the recommendations.

cheers everyone.

UmpaHimself

My dad is 65 and he loves his Patek Aquanaut and Rolex Ceramic Sub. Generally smaller watches as they grew up in an era where 38mm was oversized.

RUSH2112

Is he into reps? If not, maybe a nice seiko?

MH_91

My dad is 65 and he loves his Patek Aquanaut and Rolex Ceramic Sub. Generally smaller watches as they grew up in an era where 38mm was oversized.

Thank you, i am also aiming for the Rolex sub too. I will decide a week from now.

Is he into reps? If not, maybe a nice seiko?

He dose go lot to China, so he dose not mind the Rep stuff.

Daywatch

Universally accepted Tudor Blackbay where modern meets vintage - but maybe he likes a date, modern Datejust from BP-maker.

IMG_6084_zps2a4vclqa.jpg

IMG_4920c_zpskkbh6h63.jpg

nunu78

Seiko is the way to go . As for the cost of descent rep , you can get him a really nice reliable Watch with day n date function.

rawbaws
20150707_142007_zps9v6fvkwv.jpg

GenTLe

I'd take one of the very good Milgauss still on crazy sale at Tony's site (www.asian7750.com), TD on RWI.

They are from Noob factory and great quality (I have one).

Otherwise if he is more into classic pieces I would ask a suggestion to _DC_ about one of those great classic Patek time/date only.

rawbaws

Meh you guys are putting the man in the old basket.

60's aint that old.

My dad wears 47mm pams and divers of all sorts.

I do agree the black bay would be a great gift though. Even if he is into dress watches he would probably still love it.

Electron17

20150707_142007_zps9v6fvkwv.jpg

I am 60 and would really like if someone gave me one of these. In fact I has 2 of these watches, one just like the one in the picture above and one with the Pepsi bezel. Stick with a Seiko, good solid watch that will give your Dad many years of reliable wear. Reps are nice but the movements can be unreliable. Hope the visit goes well.

Stuvetjee

i would give him a gen. Like a Seiko or something. Especially when he is visiting after 2 years :P .

bech312

Something Two-tone!

Stewart

You didn't mention how much you intend to spend. That could give better parameters to work within.

Skyman dave

It's my dads 60th next month and I have bought him a gmt "batman" I showed him a picture as I was gonna but it for me and he went wow you've got 3 months till my birthday to get me one, know it's sat in a lovely piano black box and teases me on a daily basis whilst waiting to go to its new home. If your dads a modern genet there is loads of choice, my old man rides a jet ski and speed boat like a 20 year old so gmt is a good choice.

MH_91

You didn't mention how much you intend to spend. That could give better parameters to work within.

around $400-500 USD.

MH_91

Out of curiosity, How much the Seiko go for?

so far, i am aiming for black bay or Seiko since most of you guys recommending it :)

Stewart

Check out sites like Jomashop. You could get a very nice seiko within your budget.

_DC_

Definitely can't go wrong with a Patek Calatrava. Classy, understated, modestly sized (as all gentlemans timepieces should be) PLUS if you go for the Miyota version you can get a personal message engraved for him inside the officers style caseback (like my wife did for me for our wedding day)! It will then be a memento he can treasure for many years to come!!

B88DBCC3-DF9E-405A-9E2E-1CDF29022BD1_zpstjxfbthd.jpg

C5EE1BA5-34E9-4B7B-A805-9BA10D78798F_zps6behlec6.jpg

D06C3D77-FC85-4526-B1F7-464A6C34644A_zpsvkdprgjt.jpg

DC

MH_91

Check out sites like Jomashop. You could get a very nice seiko within your budget.

Wow, they go for really decent prices, i thought they are at lest $800. Thanks for the website!

griffon22

buy him a nice display case for the ones he has already , otherwise it could be costly .

I set about buying a watch for my father in law , he wanted one with a really nice lume , 3 seiko's and 2 Pams later, I finally gave him one, i kept the first 4 for myself ,I decided he would not apreciate them as I would . I wont be getting watches for relatives this christmas , thats for sure.

greg_r

Hell, I'm only 3 years younger than your father and I wear all sorts from Rolex DJs to Panerai, Breitling, Omega etc. Just because we're old doesn't mean we don't like the same watches you do! :brightlight:

Having said that, the Seiko idea is quite a good one - an even better idea would be a Hamilton. They can be had for similar money to a good rep (or cheaper Seiko) and have a certain brand cachet that will make it seem a bit more special. Have a look at creation watches for a selection...

GenTLe

around $400-500 USD.

Do you also have an idea of his wrist size? Current watches go from 37 to 50mm so it is important to know :)