Sign in to follow this  
grifter

My Daytona- Ziggyfied!

grifter

I bought this Daytona in the early part of 2006. I guess I'm one of the lucky few who got one with no movement problems. Heck, I only just found out this model had problems a few months ago, as I found these holy of holy forums in june of '10. :D

I've worn it everywhere. It's been with me all over the US and even to Korea. I've worn it while ATV'ing in the woods, shooting, swimming, etc etc.. Ignorance truely is bliss, because had I known these were potentially ticking time bombs I would have thought twice before wearing it.

So it has run flawlessly for 4 years through thick and thin. After discovering Zigmeister and reading his write up on the movement, I couldn't think of a better person to have service my watch. Since I was sending it for service I also had Ziggy lume it and replace the crystal. I had dropped it and the crystal had some chips on the edge. Plus it meant good bye ugly etched crown at 6! :)

Here is the report I got back:

Daytona

- Movement very dirty and dry and gummed up, not serviced in many years

- Movement serviced, full disassembly, cleaned, inspected, no damage or worn out parts, assembled, oiled, running very well, adjusted in 3 positions

- Dial and hands lumed in C3 A+, small marker discount

- New sapphire crystal installed

After the service, my what a world of difference! Winds so smooth and the pushers are way easier to depress. All chronos snap back into place. Nice! The "running very well" part makes me warm and fuzzy because I sent in a PAM also and all that got was a "running well." I think I may know what it feels when one of your children wins a gold medal at the Olympics. :baghead:

Now the lume. All I can say is the Zigmeister doesn't mess around. Lume application is perfect. The glow is nuclear. When comparing with my gen Explorer II they are exactly alike as far as characteristics. The lume begins to activate even in the lightest of shadows. It might be me, but Ziggy's lume seems brighter to me in absolute darkness than the gen's lume. There is absolutely no doubt that Zigmeister stripped the rep lume off the markers and applied genuine C3 A+ Super Luminova. (is my lume fetish showing at all? :rofl: )

Sorry just some bad iphone pics for now, but I'll post again with better shots soon. Also will write up a similar review of my PAM 02A that the Zigmeister worked on over in the Panerai section.

daytona-2.jpg

daytona-1.jpg

daytona-3.jpg

trailboss99

Yep, it glows allrighty!

Very nice mate, congrats. Ziggy does great work.

Col

Member X

Sounds like you've been very lucky with this one! lol :D

Nice work though, Zig is definitely a good choice :)

bimmerpilot

Very nice Grif!

A 4-y/o sec@6 that's still running strong! Impressive!!

I received my A7750 sec@6 S/S black dial today (My Xmas present to me). I'll post a my thoughts and photos of both it and my ("beater") 21j S/S white dial ASAP.

Regards,

BP