Sign in to follow this  
rc42

Watch servicing costs

rc42

Hey all,

My gen Rolex Explorer II has developed a 'rattle', it sounds like the rotor is loose but I don't have the necessary tools to open it up and check (the caseback is VERY tight), anyway, I emailed a local (non AD) watch dealer (Brisbane Vintage Watches) and they cam back with a price of $170 for rotor tightening. I asked what was included in this and was then told that it is just for tighteing the rotor, replacing seals and performing a water presure test.

Now, I know that a Rolex 3185 movement is not as simple as an ETA for tightening the rotor as it doesn't have a screw directly holding it but is there some level of complication that I'm missing here?

I've never had a watch serviced before and I know that full service costs at an authorised RSC would be around $1,000 but they do a lot more and return the watch in "as new" condition.

Can anyone give any advice about typical servicing prices or where to go for a good deal in Brisbane?

Thanks

trailboss99

PM sent mate

djprone

I think the beauty of reps is, you can use them and abuse them until they literally have no life left in them, then simply replace them. Why spend hundreds on servicing a watch that won't cost much more to replace? I'd leave it with a rattley rotor until it doesn't work. Just my opinion.

Edited by djprone

trailboss99
I think the beauty of reps is, you can use them and abuse them until they literally have no life left in them, then simply replace them. Why spend hundreds on servicing a watch that won't cost much more to replace? I'd leave it with a rattley rotor until it doesn't work. Just my opinion.

Mate, did you read the first line of his post? :lol:

"My gen Rolex Explorer II has developed a 'rattle', "

Col.

rc42

I'm sending it to Col's watchsmith for a full service, it cost me $3,000 or so about a year ago from a guy in the US but typical prices in Australia are $4,000+ so I don't want to do any damage to it and I think its worth it, maybe it will be passed on to my son one day.

Its pictured below, I'll leave you to guess which one it is:

Explorer_GMT.jpg