Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

Re-fitting hairspring stud (advanced tinkerers and watchmakers welcomed!)

GenTLe

Hi all guys! :)

So I have to put this (fix stud of 2836, not one of those that keeps the hairspring with a tiny screw):

eta2851-721-600x600.jpg

into this:

ETA2824.121.jpg

In order to obtain this (images from different movements, but you got the idea, ok?):

$(KGrHqFHJFQFEMbLcnqJBRhuBDwfm!~~60_35.JPG

I searched the web but I didn't find any guidance on the most appropriate way to fit the stud in the stud holder...

Like "do that with balance bridge upside down on a piece of rodico and use a tweezer" or "mount the bridge and balance on the plate and use a 0.8mm screwdriver to push the stud into its holder" etc etc...

So, what is the best way to fit that thing without bending the hairspring, the holder or do some other mess?

THANKS a lot to all!

PS: I have this thing (etachron tool, but not the other done like a little fork) in case it is necessary:

tool-to-turn-hairspring-stud.jpg

ROLIE

HI gentle

I will try and explain best I can as to how to fit the stud back into the carrier.

first place hairspring back onto the escapement and place the balance cock on top and sercure by the screw, then with the smallest screwdriver you have gently place inbetween the carrier arms and gently turn to open the arms up just enough so you can slide or push the stud into the arms.

It is very tricky and you need to be able to have both hands steady but take your time.

this is how I do them without the correct tool and it takes practice so I would try on a broken one first.

hope this helped you out a bit..

rolie ....

BadPickle

Welcome back ROLIE :D

GenTLe

Thanks Rolie (and welcome back from the surgery!).

Ok I'll try with the old balance (broken pinion) :)

ROLIE

Practice gentle

Its tricky but im sure you"ll get it and once you do it should get easier in time ....

Genius

Good to see you back on the forum rolie!

GenTLe

A good video I found about REMOVING the balance from its bridge (and also the balance wheel from the balance staff):

GenTLe
Practice gentle

Its tricky but im sure you"ll get it and once you do it should get easier in time ....

Gh. 1st try.

But I used a slightly different way, as I have already seen a stud holder going into pieces because an horologist tried to enlarge it...

So I mounted balance and balance bridge on a naked base plate, carefully placed the stud in place and pushed it with the flat end of tweezers (where the 2 arms of the tweezers are joined) taking care not to push other than orizontally :)

08c4db4cbcd807ef917fb0108796751b.jpg

ROLIE

Good one gentle

Ive tried it that way aswell but what i found is that some you can push on and some you carnt as not all are loose enough to push the stud on .

But well done im going to make a tool out of an old screwdriver with a slot in either side just enough so it will open the arms just enough so the stud just drops in ( on the tight ones)......

GenTLe
Good one gentle

Ive tried it that way aswell but what i found is that some you can push on and some you carnt as not all are loose enough to push the stud on .

But well done im going to make a tool out of an old screwdriver with a slot in either side just enough so it will open the arms just enough so the stud just drops in ( on the tight ones)......

Thanks mate.

Another info to add is this: I bought 2 brand new balances (clone ones from toolbox2009 eBay user who has good assortments of Chinese movements and parts) and... The hairspring needed a bit of work on them. The way it comes from the factory isn't a straight assembly one: mounted as it is and I got a ridiculous 130° amplitude.

Checked with the loupe and its shape mounted was all wrong.

So I had to take it off again and reshape the 2 angles of the last quarter of coil. Now I got 240° and I am fine with it ;)

This is how it should be:

ST24_balance_ETA4_28Mar2008_S.jpg

This is how it came:

$_57.JPG

ROLIE

Thanks gentle ive got hairsprings from same seller but never had any problems like what you are describing. So am i right in thinking that you altered the the length and curve of the hairspring to acheive a higher amplitude ..

GenTLe

Yep, also needed to have the coils centered because at the beginning the last bit was overlapping the inner last 2 coils

ROLIE

Good one gentle .

Do you think that the hairsprings may be a bunch of a bad batch from the factory . I can take alook at mine later and let you know if mine are the same ...

GenTLe
Good one gentle .

Do you think that the hairsprings may be a bunch of a bad batch from the factory . I can take alook at mine later and let you know if mine are the same ...

I don't really know: these are the first ones I buy (too scared to mess them up before :D). But I had 2 2836 with balance problems: one lost the impulse jewel (by its own) and one broke the plate pinion (my fault) so I didn't want to throw them away :)

ROLIE

Now thats a common problem with the hairsprings with the impulse jewel missing or dropping out and the cause is the dreaded palm slap to get your waych working as it gives your waych such a jolt you can damage alsorts pinions included.

Thats why i dont advise to palm slap any watch, If its stopped its stopped for a reason and should be looked at.....

GenTLe

Now thats a common problem with the hairsprings with the impulse jewel missing or dropping out and the cause is the dreaded palm slap to get your waych working as it gives your waych such a jolt you can damage alsorts pinions included.

Thats why i dont advise to palm slap any watch, If its stopped its stopped for a reason and should be looked at.....

Absolutely agree! Mine, anyway, probably suffered from a fall that the watch had at the airport (bloody security checks...) that caused me to replace it because destroyed the (PVD and therefore not findable) crown too :(

ROLIE

To right ive had a fair few from not forum clients where the jewel has been missing because the quality is just not there. So getting the hairsprings only is a godsend as it would mean a new movement other wise ..