Sign in to follow this  
Tom3949

Budget v High End

Tom3949

So I've got the bug and have bought a couple of reps from both ends of the scale - a budget PAM 111 from Robert for $99, and the acclaimed SOH V2 'super' rep from Mary.

The Breitling is nice - don't get me wrong! - but I have definitely been bitten by the PAM bug.

Hard!

There is a lot of talk on the forum about the new Panerai 1:1 reps and I have been sorely tempted by the 288, but I have made a decision to keep clear of the 7750 movement for now.

I am desparate to get my hands on a couple more Panerai, but my conundrum is whether to stick with Roberts $99 series or go for something more high end, (specifically the high end PAMs Robert has or a non 7750 1:1 newbie rep).

The problem is I can't believe that anything can surpass the $99 PAM 111 I have from him in terms of quality. It looks and feels that good!

It is probably not an exact replica - so I am looking to get some insight in to what differences I could expect in going for a higher end model. My expectations would be a higher quality movement, better, more accurate lume, (colourwise), and greater accuracy in those details which would probably be missed by the untrained eye, (such as the CG pin being flush on the gen PAM 111 for example).

The two front runners for me at the moment are the 183 blackseal and the 127 fiddy from Robert, (the 177 is also a consideration, but I don't think Robert has a budget version of this), and it would be great to get some feed back on the differeces I can expect from the higher end models compared to Roberts $99 range, for example.

Thanks in advance for helping out someone who is rapidly deteriorating into a chronic PAM addict. (God I am even thinking of getting both the budget and high end versions - how bad is that!).

:lol:

Edited by Tom3949

andygt

My advice would be to buy the best version you can from the start, if you are like me the little flaws will annoy you until you end up getting the more expensive version anyway or spend even more time and money modding the cheapy to iron out the annoyances.

Even with the best versions available most will need a decent relume, even if you get a superlumed DSN model the CG can be swapped for a better one as can the crown.

All depends how much you want to spend, which model you want and how OCD you are really!

greg_r

Hmm... this is more difficult than some people might have you believe.

I've got quite a few PAMs - some are more expensive models, some are budget. All of them are good quality, however. Ultimately it tends to depend on the model. If I was to recommend a Fiddy, for instance, the budget model is great for the dough, but really only serves to upsell most people to a higher quality version - the high-end model I have was bought after owning the cheapie and the difference is vast both in look and feel. There really is no comparison.

On the other hand, if I was to buy, say, a 113 I'd go for the cheapie. The upmarket versions aren't sufficiently better to be worth bothering with IMNSHO.

Certainly for the 127 you're thinking about, I'd spend the extra and buy Robert's top of the range version - it's well worth it - the engraved movement (as opposed to stickered), sapphire crystal and generally superior build quality counts for a lot. For the 183 it's less clear cut - the budget model is surprisingly satisfactory. Personally I'd spend the extra on that one too (in fact, I did - although I later sold the watch), but it depends on how picky you are - the cheapie is a very nice watch for the dough.

Akira

I first got a cheapie PAM127, which was great quality.

But it made wanna have a higher end version, so I sold it.

I bought a higher end version than and modded it. :)

Tom3949

Cheers guys,

I think you have just confimed what I already suspected. I didn't know about the re-lume aspect though, and yes once I know what the 'small' differences are - it would irritate me. My main concern though is always going to be quality. It doesn't matter how accurate a rep is, if it doesn't have a quality feel, it would be a total no go' in my book.

Watch out credit card - here I come!

Edited by Tom3949

Mystery Shopper

Quality remains long after the price of purchase is forgotten.

Strap on the plastic (credit card) and load up :D

pollux1

The 288 is getting some great reviews and as long as you're careful with using the chronos, and if you budget for a service then it'll be tickety boo.

prestigewatchco

Well I can only comment on my personal experience and I have sold 1000's of cheaper 111/127/217 with generally very good feedback.

Certain models I would advocate you go the better quality higher priced route though 090/088 for example the higher priced versions are light years ahead having sapphire and generally better made that said I can't recommend you buy the $429 Ultimate over the nice quality 7750 $199 version that seems lubricious to me for a DW and a Cyclops that are still not perfect.

127 with the engraved movement and sapphire are also a good bet if you want something a little better than the basic version without going crazy on price

there are also some new budget items that have come from a new source recently that defy the price with the quality namely

024 with Asian 21 J

Daylight with quartz movement

253 regatta with quartz movement

These are incredible for the price using the higher end cases and bands etc

KBH

With regards to the 183 and cheapies if you read enough posts about them you'll find several problems. Many of the cheapies havea horrible blue AR which most people end up scraping off and the dial lume is way off color, either too yellow or too greenish looking. So, once again it's all dependent on what you want and how particular you are. I have a 183 that I ended up changing the dial to a DSN superlumed dial and the lume color, brightness and the smooth perfect cut outs of the numerals made it well worth while.

Tom3949

Once again thank you all for being so helpful.

Very much appreciated down here in (not so sunny) Liverpool.

JohnG

There is a simple solution to the whole question of the different version game - v1, v2, v3, v3.1, Super v3, Ultimate, Super Ultimate built with gen as example...

Fuck that shit....

GO HOMAGE BABY!!!!!!!!!!! Gen are for suckers and reps are for fools, homages are the only way forward.

Austin_Danger_Powers_Mike_Myers.jpg

dingle
There is a simple solution to the whole question of the different version game - v1, v2, v3, v3.1, Super v3, Ultimate, Super Ultimate built with gen as example...

Fuck that shit....

GO HOMAGE BABY!!!!!!!!!!! Gen are for suckers and reps are for fools, homages are the only way forward.

Austin_Danger_Powers_Mike_Myers.jpg

so what reps are you going to sell?

:D

Brightlight

Nothing sadder than a Homage "We can't do a proper rep, can't get the font and the CGs right, so we'll do a homage instead. Call it some silly name like 'penis'.......no wait, 'Parnis'!! What about that!!"

wombosi

Don't mess with the penis... uhh Parnis! :D

Edited by wombosi

mondeov6

Nothing sad or wrong with a homage...or a "cheapie" rep, or the "ultimate rep", or people modding their watches, or a gen.

If you like it... well that's what matters!

JohnG
Nothing sadder than a rep "we sell these same watches to JohnG for a third of the price, but your vanity demands a brand name, so here's the same watch with a Pam branded dial and the same imperfect crown guard, BAM!, $250, thank you very much!"

fixed

I agree totally.

djprone

One advantage of budget reps over high end reps is, you can wear a budget rep whenever you like and if it gets damaged you can simply throw it away and replace it. And honestly, most people looking at it, apart from anal watch geeks will know any different. How many people here have been walking down the street and noticed someone wearing a genuine PAM? But then again, i'm come from a backwards town in the middle of nowhere!

madcatlancelot

Those new PAM 111J and PAM 177 that recently came out looks very very good for the price tag, since you already have a PAM111, why not grab a PAM177?

68 Bullit has one, check out the photo. It has superlume, nice CG shape and flat CG pin, flush cannon pinion, nice dial prints, engraved 6497 movt, no mods needed! :D

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...mp;#entry162841

Brightlight
Nothing sadder than a rep "we sell these same watches to JohnG for a third of the price, but your vanity demands a brand name, so here's the same watch with a Pam branded dial and the same imperfect crown guard, BAM!, $250, thank you very much!"

fixed

I agree totally.

What a parnis you are John :D

JohnG

fixed

I agree totally.

homagesbaby.jpg

andygt
Gens are for suckers and reps are for fools

Is that why you're building the 6152?

stiltzkin

fixed

I agree totally.

homagesbaby.jpg

Noob question... Is it not possible to build a homage with AR'd crystals??

(Olny messing.... that looks supurb!! )

KBH

fixed

I agree totally.

What a parnis you are John :thumbsup2:

homagesbaby.jpg

If you don't like reps you might as well wear a Timex. At least that's a real watch made in a real factory. :D

pollux1

Better get a different dial for the 6152 John.....

dingle
Better get a different dial for the 6152 John.....

:thumbsup2: