Sign in to follow this  
Tom3949

Budget v High End

JohnG
Gens are for suckers and reps are for fools

Is that why you're building the 6152?

Yeah, okay, there is that... :D

I still like reps, but homages are a fantastic value and since I never try to pass reps off as gen, EVER, I actually like homages better. A good rep can be real poetry, but so many people assume if you wear one it is to impress others that I figure, why bother? - especially given that I BRAG they are reps - most people think copies are just junk you buy on the street, they have no idea. So now, generally, if there is a very good homage of the same watch it is more appealing to me.

An example is that I would like to get a Mare Nostrum, but the only homage is a quartz and I like that faux lemania or minerva or whatever it is, so I will end up buying a rep MN and STERILIZE IT - dial, movement, caseback - all sterile. THAT would be a cool watch.

As to the 6152, sometimes a nice handcrafted counterfeit is pretty damn cool, no two ways about it.

But seriously, guys, don't fall for all that "ultimate this, super that", I hate that shit, 95% of the time it is a game to get you to spend money. I think back to when I was new to the forums and I wanted so badly to get the "best" reps, it is a natural impulse, but one that is worthwhile to tame.

greg_r
But seriously, guys, don't fall for all that "ultimate this, super that", I hate that shit, 95% of the time it is a game to get you to spend money. I think back to when I was new to the forums and I wanted so badly to get the "best" reps, it is a natural impulse, but one that is worthwhile to tame.

And we agree completely yet again. I'm getting a little worried about this... :D

KBH

And we agree completely yet again. I'm getting a little worried about this... :D

I'm a little confused by this new theory. Why do we come here to these forums looking for the best quality reps at the best price? Why don't we all just buy cheap quartz? They're cheaper, more reliable, keep better time, and and will probably outlast most of the mechanical movements.

And, there's a almost unlimited supply available at Walmart, K-Mart or your local drug store.

Brightlight

Don't worry Greg, he does this, gets you agreeing with him then blows it all out of the water with some ridiculous statement. The JohnG MO.

Brightlight

And we agree completely yet again. I'm getting a little worried about this... :giggle:

I'm a little confused by this new theory. Why do we come here to these forums looking for the best quality reps at the best price? Why don't we all just buy cheap quartz? They're cheaper, more reliable, keep better time, and and will probably outlast most of the mechanical movements.

And, there's a almost unlimited supply available at Walmart, K-Mart or your local drug store.

It's quite clear to me KBH, we do this not because we want to fool anyone into thinking we are wearing a gen, perish the thought, we want to boast about how clever our reps are and how close to gen, we would never lie about wearing a rep, we delight in telling everyone, even people who don't ask.

Well at least if you believe 90% of posters on this subject whose motives are so pure they will clearly go immediately to heaven at the point of death!

If I just wanted to wear a mechanical watch whose design I admired, a homage would be fine (which I believe is John's motive). In truth I enjoy wearing a 'Rolex' or whatever without having to spend thousands and the only people who know otherwise are family and close friends. Needless to say I will be going to hell (where all my friends are!). There, I've said it, now you can all condemn me for being a fake person.,.............

KBH

See you there, BL!

dingle
See you there, BL!

I will send a postcard :giggle:

KBH
See you there, BL!

I will send a postcard :giggle:

Don't worry, We'll save a spot for you.

JohnG

Gentlemen, it takes time, not everyone reaches the homage phase at the same instant, some evolve quickly, others take a bit longer, the important thing is that we always continue to move FORWARD.

As long as you have moved beyond lusiting over Trust's "Perfect" Rolex Submariner you are headed in the right direction. The journey is more important than the final destination. Challenge your own assumptions, keep an open mind, dare to dream... and one day you will look down and there will be a Parnis on your wrist...

Imagen086-1.jpg

KBH
Gentlemen, it takes time, not everyone reaches the homage phase at the same instant, some evolve quickly, others take a bit longer, the important thing is that we always continue to move FORWARD.

As long as you have moved beyond lusiting over Trust's "Perfect" Rolex Submariner you are headed in the right direction. The journey is more important than the final destination. Challenge your own assumptions, keep an open mind, dare to dream... and one day you will look down and there will be a Penis in your hand...

Imagen086-1.jpg

Fixed it for you

Tom3949
Those new PAM 111J and PAM 177 that recently came out looks very very good for the price tag, since you already have a PAM111, why not grab a PAM177?

68 Bullit has one, check out the photo. It has superlume, nice CG shape and flat CG pin, flush cannon pinion, nice dial prints, engraved 6497 movt, no mods needed! :giggle:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...mp;#entry162841

Hmmm this thread seems to have taken an interesting turn ...

Thanks MCL - that one is definitely on my list.

madcatlancelot

The PAM177 seems to be VERY popular, a dealer replied to me that the stocks are running out.

Tom3949
The PAM177 seems to be VERY popular, a dealer replied to me that the stocks are running out.

Yeah I can see why. The only reason I would be hesitant in going for a titanium case at the moment is because of a comment Robert (from PWC) made in the forum about them in general. I believe it went along the lines of "They're as rough as a badgers arse!".

This wasn't aimed at any specific model, (certainly not the 177), but appeared to be a general comment on titanium cases currently available in China. It would be good to hear from someone who has purchased a 177 to get their view on the quality of the case.

JohnG

Amazing how the noobs can stay on topic like that - they have like this spititual connection with the original post, very impressive...

greg_r

Yeah I can see why. The only reason I would be hesitant in going for a titanium case at the moment is because of a comment Robert (from PWC) made in the forum about them in general. I believe it went along the lines of "They're as rough as a badgers arse!".

This wasn't aimed at any specific model, (certainly not the 177), but appeared to be a general comment on titanium cases currently available in China. It would be good to hear from someone who has purchased a 177 to get their view on the quality of the case.

This issue relates to the questionable quality of the ti case that has commonly been around for the last year or two. The new 177 is NOT built in that case and the quality is, I'm informed, vastly higher than the budget case that you'll still find around on homages and budget reps. Don't hesitate to buy the new 177 on that score.

Tom3949

Cheers Greg. It's good to know that.