Del

DSSD face-off: Lay v's Robert

DSSD face-off: Lay v's Robert  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which is best?

• Lay's $88 DSSD
    • Robert's $149 DSSD

Del

I want to buy a 21j DSSD, but which one should I choose :D ?

ReplicaMake's $88 DSSD seems stupidly good value but would I be better buying PrestigeWatchCo's $149 DSSD from the "milguass factory"? Links below.

Lay's DSSD

Robert's DSSD

Key difference (apart from price :rolleyes:) appears to be mineral v's sapphire crystal, but are there any other significant differences? Perfect 10? Better lume? Better 21j movement?

Please vote now and post your words of wisdom :).

Let the fight begin... :)

andygt

Roberts - it's got a sapphire crystal and 'correct 10', not sure what the lume is like on Lay's but on the milgauss factory ones it's a lot better than the standard rep lume

greg_r

+1

prestigewatchco

Actually this could be academic the best milguass 21j is already over sold and supply is difficult so difficult in fact that factory cannot guarantee delivery until April as it stands now.

There is however another version of the watch that we used to carry that has been reduced in price by factory basically the same watch but without the better 10 bezel which we will be listing at $99 which makes this a no brainier if you want good lume and sapphire

Del
Actually this could be academic the best milguass 21j is already over sold and supply is difficult so difficult in fact that factory cannot guarantee delivery until April as it stands now.

There is however another version of the watch that we used to carry that has been reduced in price by factory basically the same watch but without the better 10 bezel which we will be listing at $99 which makes this a no brainier if you want good lume and sapphire

I think you just saved me a lot of contemplation :).

Looking forward to seeing your new listing :).

prestigewatchco

which is the version we sold for 18 months prior to the latest version with loads of rave reviews and is the watch featured in many of the wrist check posts including the one by Greg

prestigewatchco

And to add confusion to the pot the latest best DSSD by the milguass factory with 2836/28800 ETA clone

Which I have just taken delivery of 200 pieces at a special price will be offered at $199 in the near future

So myself I think this is the best DSSD offer of all time for a very good DSSD with the more desirable 2836 movement

trailboss99

Well that kinda ended that didn't it? :)

Col.

Slim

I won't vote because I've never seen the $149 version, but here's a pic (already posted in Lay's feedback section) of the $88 DSSD which I own.

sd02.jpg

One observation: you might have to stand on it to seat the crystal properly :)

From the pics of the $149 version, which are commendably clear, it doesn't appear to be of higher build quality than the $88 version - although the sapphire crystal would be nice to have. I can't see a significant difference between the '10' on my bezel and the 'correct 10', and while I'm sure there is some minute difference, I don't care about it personally. So for me it comes down to whether the sapphire crystal is worth an extra $61.

Del

Col.

:)

Yeah, but look what I've flushed out from Robert - a 2836 DSSD for $199 :D:rolleyes:.

Slim

Of course, I typed that before I read the previous contributions, which seem to make the question a bit academic. If I was buying one now I'd probably think the sapphire was worth an extra $38, assuming the quality is as good in other respects.

prestigewatchco

Well we are obviously missing something because the watch that sells at $88 is $45 cheaper to buy than the best milguass version and readily available while the the more expensive milguass version is close to impossible to get.

So unless all the trade is wrong there must be significant differences to justify $45 in this trade

prestigewatchco

Col.

Yeah, but look what I've flushed out from Robert - a 2836 DSSD for $199 :D:rolleyes:.

Yes and not only a DSSD 2836 but one considered by many "experts" to be the best in the market

Del
Well we are obviously missing something because the watch that sells at $88 is $45 cheaper to buy than the best milguass version and readily available while the the more expensive milguass version is close to impossible to get.

So unless all the trade is wrong there must be significant differences to justify $45 in this trade

That was my thinking, hence the poll. I couldn't see you selling the same watch for such a difference in price so I was interested to know what the differences were.

In any case, you've got my attention with the 2836 DSSD for $199. Any idea on timescales for purchasing?

pollux1

I'd go for Robert's. Sapphire is light years better than mineral crystals and one of THE MOST obvious tells to me.

prestigewatchco

Yes they have arrived yesterday just a matter of listing them when I get 5 minutes it's the same as the $249 we currently have in stock only difference is price

mark8111

Bugger.. wanna buy a watch??.. i'v just ordered $88 dssd however the one just announced at $199 sounds good. Might end up with two

Cheers Mark

AllergyDoc

The lume on the hour markers of Lay's DSSD is outstanding by any standards. The lume on the hands is good for a rep, but not close to the markers. With a decent charge it's easy to read the time at 4:00 AM.

w204

Few things to factor here since I own Robert's $149 DSSD.

*The ,10, is correct for a DSSD, the offset 10 is not. This is huge if you are worried about accuracy.

*Lume on Robert's is crazy bright.

*Shipped out on the 21st, received on the 23rd. Thailand to Hawaii so add another 12 hours of travel.

*Rehaut is engraved, not sure about Lay's

If you know what you want, Robert is easily the fastest here.

Don't get me wrong, $88 is a tremendous value but those little things that Robert's one have an advantage over swayed me enough to pay a bit more for the DSSD. Heck, if I had known Robert was going to put out the same one with 2836 for $199, that's an even better value.

AllergyDoc
Robert is easily the fastest here.

+1

Crazy fast.

KeNnY
*Rehaut is engraved, not sure about Lay's

Rehaut is engraved, lume is decent, serial number, signs - laser engraved between lugs and on bracelet.. small details gives it WOW effect :lol:

they are almost the same.. when you add lays price for shipping sometimes the price would be the same like with Robert :thepianohasbeendrinking: + Lay can transship trough UK

SirDomino
And to add confusion to the pot the latest best DSSD by the milguass factory with 2836/28800 ETA clone

Which I have just taken delivery of 200 pieces at a special price will be offered at $199 in the near future

So myself I think this is the best DSSD offer of all time for a very good DSSD with the more desirable 2836 movement

It does indeed complicate the DSSD wars...

Does this new $199 Milguass DSSD use the 316F or 316L Steel?

Could you detail the improvements over the noobfactory "Ultimate" 2836 gen swiss version which was previously the "best" available?

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=7378

I mean is it essentially the same (or better?) for $150 cheaper?

Thanks for all your hard work, PLEASE KEEP IT UP!!!! :thepianohasbeendrinking:

Edited by sirdomino

JohnG

Who the fuck is Lay?

I am sure he is one of those new dealers that are popping up like mushrooms.

Del
Who the fuck is Lay?

Lay is from ReplicaMake, one of our trusted dealers. So you were fucking right...:P.

JohnG
Who the fuck is Lay?

:P

Lay is from ReplicaMake, one of our trusted dealers. So you were fucking right...:itchyandscratchy:.

Ah, I remember Replicamake, but now everyone is like Lay this and Lay that...

I will have to go to the dealer section sometime and see who is actually in there..... :)