Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

I've fallen for a Longines!!!!

_DC_

Yep, 'tis true!

While hanging around Dubai airport for 6 hours waiting for our flight yesterday I spent quite a bit of time lurking round the ADs, and made a few discoveries!

Firstly, Hublots in person aren't as awful as I thought, quite liked some of them as it goes, do that's new!

But more importantly, I was eyeing up the Longines section which usually bores me to tears in local ADs and spotted the Longines Saint Imier Chronograph.... well, I just love it, and I mean LOVE it!!!

Here's the watch in question....

A0CB9978-B571-4FF6-BB88-1D475554CE40_zpsxeprfemh.jpg

And yes, it's probably got something to do with the similarities to Patek Chronographs like this one...

2274E485-C174-4575-AC19-9B50C12A0E6B_zpsuqyb20g2.jpg

But it's just a stunning watch, great size, and with a proper columb-wheel movement too (ok it's an auto not hand wound as a chrono should be but, hey, for £2,000 I'm not complaining)!!

Strongly considering selling most of my reps to buy one..... oh I don't know what to do?!?!???

Thought and opinions invited!!!

DC

Chrisby

I almost didn't click on this thread because of the title, I was of the same opinion as you on Longines. But glad I did because this one IS nice, like you've said. Only you can decide what you want to do with your reps. But my view is if you like it, and you can move some reps on, then go for it. Just watch some of those rare Pateks you have though :)

I think greg_r has a longines or two (I could be waaaaay of there) sure I've seen something from him on them.

Gazzla

I agree. It's a beautiful watch. But:

Firstly, Hublots in person aren't as awful as I thought, quite liked some of them as it goes

You lost all credibility after that comment. Sorry . . .

. . . :rofl:

Testomatic

You know the drill, if it makes you happy go for it.

You can probably get a good deal on it in dxb airport on your way back if it s one of the shopping festival/sales seasons.

Last year The AD was offering 50pct voucher (ie you pay 2000 and he gives you back a voucher of 1000 on next purchase. you can grab one for the lady for free)

Bash64

Agreed - very nice chrono!

Robin195959

Lovely watch DC. Not sure you'd be happy for long without yor collection tho.

Got to ask tho. Why should a chrono be hand wind?

yawn
I agree. It's a beautiful watch. But:

Firstly, Hublots in person aren't as awful as I thought, quite liked some of them as it goes

You lost all credibility after that comment. Sorry . . .

. . . :rofl:

:rofl:

slaughterer

Vintage Longines is a very attractive market to mine, as is this Saint Imier chrono. I can see the attraction there. See if you can get the Mrs. to finance it for her half of the rebate. ;-)

wdev

Very nice and I can understand why you love it, very elegant. Not sure if I like the date window though, if they made it white on black it would have blended better in the design

And are you sure you can handle a 43mm? ;)

_DC_
Very nice and I can understand why you love it, very elegant. Not sure if I like the date window though, if they made it white on black it would have blended better in the design

And are you sure you can handle a 43mm? ;)

It's listed at between 39mm and 41mm everywhere I've seen it, which I assume is either excluding or including crown?!?

DC

_DC_

It's one of those things, it's not law or anything, but it's a bit like saying all high end watches should be mechanical not quartz, it's just how it should be. Not all chronos I hasten to add, sports chronos in auto is fine, but this type of classically styled dress watch type chrono should have a manual wind, look at all great chronographs, the Patek 5070 and 5170, the Lange Datograph, all the perpetual calendar chronographs from Patek or Lange and even AP, all manual. Manual wind movements are generally more accurate which is paramount for a precision chrono!!

DC

greg_r

Longines make some superb watches - that being one of them.

However, I have to go along with Gazzla on this ;)

_DC_
Can be had for not much over £1.5k at iconic watches

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/longines-saint-imier-automatic-chronograph-41-00-mm-l2-752-4-53-3.html

Must admit it's a stunner!

I'm going to try and find one in an AD to try on, coz the size is worrying, it's listed as 39mm most places, the the version with baton markers appears as 41mm, but this one is the Arabic dial at 41mm, so confused!!!

I want Arabic dial and would prefer it to be 39mm obviously, lol!

DC

_DC_

Haha, I didn't say I wanted one, I just said they weren't as awful as I thought and a few were quite nice (the fusion ones I think, smaller and less gaudy)!

Chill lads, I'm still a Patek man, ain't no Hublots or ROOs gonna be happening here!!

DC

baxter

it's beautiful Dave and i think you should get it. You're never going to get a rep dress watch of "the right quality" and this will be for doable money.... keep a nautius and an aquanaut and get rid of you rep dress watches ... i really don't think you'll be sorry, that's my two cents anyway.

novnovi
:wub: get that beauty ! a gen is a gen !

Martijn0007

Stunning watch!

You won't regret getting a gen.

I sold 6 reps in order to get a gen Speedmaster, and I've been wearing the Speedmaster since I got it a few weeks ago.

_DC_
it's beautiful Dave and i think you should get it. You're never going to get a rep dress watch of "the right quality" and this will be for doable money.... keep a nautius and an aquanaut and get rid of you rep dress watches ... i really don't think you'll be sorry, that's my two cents anyway.

Yeah this is what I'm kinda thinking, I need to get to an AD that's got it so I can try it on, I'd be gutted to sell my reps and find I don't like it, but I'd definitely keep both Nautilus' and maybe the Aquanaut like you say, and shift the rest if I like it on the wrist!!

DC

BenjaminButton

Haha, I didn't say I wanted one, I just said they weren't as awful as I thought and a few were quite nice (the fusion ones I think, smaller and less gaudy)!

Chill lads, I'm still a Patek man, ain't no Hublots or ROOs gonna be happening here!!

DC

Beautiful looking watch - I would go for it.

Hublot! Why not, before coming here I only had eyes for classic watches. Such as the Seamaster Aqua Terras' and dreamed of Pateks' .....this place has warped my mind in less than a year. I wouldn't have looked at anything over 42mm and funny shapes - not round - were reserved for 70's vintage pieces. Honeslty - cannot believe I'm about to confess this here - but never having looked at ROOS and never even heard of Hublot ......for a while I couldnt tell the difference - they both looked the same to me then. THEN.... now i can tell the difference and I like ...... I'll stop there.

Robin195959

It's one of those things, it's not law or anything, but it's a bit like saying all high end watches should be mechanical not quartz, it's just how it should be. Not all chronos I hasten to add, sports chronos in auto is fine, but this type of classically styled dress watch type chrono should have a manual wind, look at all great chronographs, the Patek 5070 and 5170, the Lange Datograph, all the perpetual calendar chronographs from Patek or Alange and even AP, all manual. Manual wind movements are generally more accurate white is paramount for a precision chrono!!

DC

Agree on the accuracy and classic front. Good call.

black263

Yep, 'tis true!

While hanging around Dubai airport for 6 hours waiting for our flight yesterday I spent quite a bit of time lurking round the ADs, and made a few discoveries!

Firstly, Hublots in person aren't as awful as I thought, quite liked some of them as it goes, do that's new!

But more importantly, I was eyeing up the Longines section which usually bores me to tears in local ADs and spotted the Longines Saint Imier Chronograph.... well, I just love it, and I mean LOVE it!!!

Here's the watch in question....

A0CB9978-B571-4FF6-BB88-1D475554CE40_zpsxeprfemh.jpg

And yes, it's probably got something to do with the similarities to Patek Chronographs like this one...

2274E485-C174-4575-AC19-9B50C12A0E6B_zpsuqyb20g2.jpg

But it's just a stunning watch, great size, and with a proper columb-wheel movement too (ok it's an auto not hand wound as a chrono should be but, hey, for £2,000 I'm not complaining)!!

Strongly considering selling most of my reps to buy one..... oh I don't know what to do?!?!???

Thought and opinions invited!!!

DC

That's a £500 saving on the Amazon price.

Skyman dave

You can pick these up on chrono 24 for under £1500. I bought a master collection moon phase recently from an ad in England and they did it for £1700 from £2070 without much persuasion, they also chucked 0% finance my way ( why use my money when there's is interest free)

I think bang for buck longines are untouchable, the finish the feel the presentation and quality are second to none, I'm truly happy with mine and pleased I went for the gen.

What movement does it use, is it the valjoux?

El_Cabong56

Nice, reminds me of this Hamilton, which I stumbled on because I was looking for something similar to this B&R.

hqdefault.jpg

0cj1p1e0lay.jpg

bell-and-ross-vintage-126-vintage-126-black.jpg

The Longines looks classier, though.

_DC_
You can pick these up on chrono 24 for under £1500. I bought a master collection moon phase recently from an ad in England and they did it for £1700 from £2070 without much persuasion, they also chucked 0% finance my way ( why use my money when there's is interest free)

I think bang for buck longines are untouchable, the finish the feel the presentation and quality are second to none, I'm truly happy with mine and pleased I went for the gen.

What movement does it use, is it the valjoux?

Hmm, 0% finance is tempting!! I'm never sure how much I trust Chrono24, lots of stock photos on there!!! What's been your experience?!

DC