Sign in to follow this  
CedricWX

Rolex - I just realised that the real thing is unmistakable

CedricWX

Some people at work wear Gen Rolex every day. They each own five or six examples, and they all own other luxury brands, mainly Audemars Piguet, Breguet and in one case Patek Phillipe. My own Gen examples are limited to a two tone Daytona and an Oysterquartz, neither of which I bought new. I do have an extensive collection of Rep Rolex which include good Reps of the models my colleagues wear. The fact is I would never wear a Rep to work because no matter how good I thought it was, it can't compare to the Gen.

I have tried to figure out what the difference is. For one thing the Gen steel is way better, it positively gleams, maybe because it is not prone to micro scratches, but it is also sharper, more defined somehow, and well, better quality by a country mile. Dial definition also, and the depth of colour in the dials. Gen black for example is utterly black, and the AR is amazing.

The guy next to me in a long meeting wore a GMII - I have the Rep, when I got home I studied the Rep and I could see nothing wrong with it, except that it doesn't compare to the Gen. It just doesn't have the X Factor.

I may be the only one who never realised this before, not having been exposed so long and so often to the real thing, but it is a downer.

MetalMickey

You appear to have a replica thread...

narikaa

Unmistakable

maybe

but still only

a Rolex

who cares

Hornet

Guy at work I know has a Rolex GMT ii and it is gen, but a) it is covered in hair line scratches, especially on the polished mid links and b) has no real differences to the rep that I can see with the eye....

....no x factor going on really.

BentleySharp

I have noticed this "x-factor" but usually only in higher end watches like Audemars and Patek, etc, in comparison to their rep counterparts.

The X-Factor can be attributed to a dozen or so small details, which, when combined, create an almost undefineable appearance of high quality. It's just the general quality of materials, attention to detail, hand crafting, and pride, that goes into the production of high end gens.

I personally think though that as far as many Rolex are concerned, many of the super-reps are virtually indistinguishable from the gen. Maybe this is due to the large production numbers of Rolex when compared to the relatively low production numbers of Audemars and Patek, in comparison. More attention can be afforded to a smaller production run, and thus, a higher quality, or bigger "X-Factor", which is harder to replicate.

I used to wear my AP 15400 every day. then I saw a gen and ever since I've not been able to bring myself to wear it. I used to think it was absolutlely beautiful, the beveled edges that catch the sunlight, the unique raised square guilloche in the dial, the design of the bracelet, the etchings in the rotor... now I just see a lump of steel when I look at it.

I still wear my Datejust though :D

Edited by BentleySharp

Stuvetjee

So what is exactly the point of posting this? Everyone knows that a rep isnt comparable to the gen... :Thinking:

BentleySharp

So what is exactly the point of posting this? Everyone knows that a rep isnt comparable to the gen... :Thinking:

:dunno:

trailboss99

Try a TC Sub with the good dial, bet you can't tell then.

gB.

Is this thread about who has the best sub? :dunno:

Rolex does of course. ;)

sunbites
Guy at work I know has a Rolex GMT ii and it is gen, but a) it is covered in hair line scratches, especially on the polished mid links and b) has no real differences to the rep that I can see with the eye....

....no x factor going on really.

Yep. All my gens are covered in microscratches.Together with a gmt. And everose daytona. Stopped being shiny a while ago

black263

Try telling that to some of the noobs who are expecting perfection, as in 1:1, AAA+++, Swiss Movement etc. Last time I saw a genuine Swiss movement, it had been left floating in a crapper in Geneva.

machiavegli

I'm with trailboss. Rolex has been repped.

And like Reg says, with closed casebacks and unlimited production runs, Rolex doesn't have an X-factor to begin with.

BTW your rep Rollie's may even look better than theirs, with the tan you got on the 2 week trip you went on with the $ you saved.

-Mach

porschespeedster

funny, i'm gonna go against the grain and agree with the OP.

Especially with the new models.

Old ones, heck no, as RolexAddict says most of the reps look better than gen vintage models...

most vintages are a hodgepodge of sometimes not-period-correct parts.

and 50 percent of what dude is talking about is psychosomatic. it's in his head.

But i think he may be right about some of it, at least as a concept.

These tiny things, the bezel not being 100 percent perfect, the dial printing being just slightly off, etc...

As pointed out by another poster, these very very slight changes in finish are multiplied once you start talking about real high end watches...

meaning Patek, VC, AP etc.

If you've ever even once held a real AP in your hand...even the 800-900 dollar reps look bad...

The real AP movement is just a serious thing of beauty.

A real Patek ceramic hand painted dial is just incredible.

No hate on anyone who rocks these as reps, they're great designs and if you want to rock 'em, rock 'em.

No, no one's gonna call you out or grab your wrist and make inspections...

The only time that would happen is if you're at an AD, or if you're around a bunch of WIS and decide you want to lie to them

I wouldn't advise doing either of those things.

A lot of Panerai reps are 99 percent of the gen.

The TAG quartz chrono reps are 99 percent of the gen.

etc. etc. etc.

Basically I get what dude is saying...he says there are differences...and they're perceptible to him...

...and he doesn't feel comfortable rocking that brand rep in an environment where there's a lot of gens around.

Right on.

porschespeedster

^^^ that being said, if you threw a TC Sub into a pile of gens + made 100 gen owners pick out the fake, the guys who guessed right would have done so by chance/on accident.

Robeng

The point of quoting this is that the op felt like it and wanted to see what other members felt...obviously.

Venomous

Buy a gen dial, crystal and maybe a bracelet.

Boom. X Factor, at the fraction of the cost.

Or what TB said.

V

Markonymous

I'm around gens all day long, have no problem wearing my v5 sub, looks better than som of the gens i see imho.

CedricWX

funny, i'm gonna go against the grain and agree with the OP.

Especially with the new models.

Old ones, heck no, as RolexAddict says most of the reps look better than gen vintage models...

most vintages are a hodgepodge of sometimes not-period-correct parts.

and 50 percent of what dude is talking about is psychosomatic. it's in his head.

But i think he may be right about some of it, at least as a concept.

These tiny things, the bezel not being 100 percent perfect, the dial printing being just slightly off, etc...

As pointed out by another poster, these very very slight changes in finish are multiplied once you start talking about real high end watches...

meaning Patek, VC, AP etc.

If you've ever even once held a real AP in your hand...even the 800-900 dollar reps look bad...

The real AP movement is just a serious thing of beauty.

A real Patek ceramic hand painted dial is just incredible.

No hate on anyone who rocks these as reps, they're great designs and if you want to rock 'em, rock 'em.

No, no one's gonna call you out or grab your wrist and make inspections...

The only time that would happen is if you're at an AD, or if you're around a bunch of WIS and decide you want to lie to them

I wouldn't advise doing either of those things.

A lot of Panerai reps are 99 percent of the gen.

The TAG quartz chrono reps are 99 percent of the gen.

etc. etc. etc.

Basically I get what dude is saying...he says there are differences...and they're perceptible to him...

...and he doesn't feel comfortable rocking that brand rep in an environment where there's a lot of gens around.

Right on.

Absolutely right on the money. I love my reps, and I will wear them in "normal" company, just that in the present company they stand out a mile as reps to me, and I'd guess to the rest of the company too. My older Gens are also covered in micro scratches and I agree that the new models seem to be made of sterner stuff.

Stewart

Was out last weekend having a beer with some friends when I spotted someone with an Explorer II black dial. I commented on it and he took it off and handed it to me. Although it was nice, it was not especially amazing. I have had plenty of reps that appeared to be of similar quality or better...at least perceived.

It was an older model (2002 I think he said), so a brand new one would probably feel and appear better.

Stuvetjee

The point of quoting this is that the op felt like it and wanted to see what other members felt...obviously.

:Yawn:

CedricWX

Your real question had you asked it straight out was 'Are you trying to stir the shit or what? - you want a Rolex? then buy a Rolex" However the answer is No, I'm making the point that although our reps are undoubtedly excellent for the price, and amazing value considering the Gen cost, I think that very fact has made our expectations higher than is reasonable.

Stuvetjee

Your real question had you asked it straight out was 'Are you trying to stir the shit or what? - you want a Rolex? then buy a Rolex" However the answer is No, I'm making the point that although our reps are undoubtedly excellent for the price, and amazing value considering the Gen cost, I think that very fact has made our expectations higher than is reasonable.

Absolute agree on that, read it wrong mate sorry :P . About to get my first gen. A Rolex 1002 Oyster Perpetual. Wondering how the quality feels of a 1987 watch :)

porschespeedster

also, where are you working where everyone has 5 rollies + gen Breguet, PP?

Are you accepting CVs?

CedricWX

also, where are you working where everyone has 5 rollies + gen Breguet, PP?

Are you accepting CVs?

There are some very wealthy people in Thailand, more than I ever imagined. You should see the cars!

Edited by CedricWX

Left Coast Guy

I've not had a rep of a gen model I own or owned, to do a direct comparison, but I had a gen sub and comparing that to a rep DSSD, I can't say I noticed the gen was any more "shiny" or more detailed than the rep. The construction was better, like the solid sound you get when you close the door on a BMW vs a Ford, but on the wrist I really can't say there was a discernible difference (and in all fairness, the DSSD wasn't high-end version). That's just me......maybe I'm not very particular, but I do think there is a psychosomatic element to what the OP describes.