Sign in to follow this  
CedricWX

Rolex - I just realised that the real thing is unmistakable

markeym3

The Rolex ceramic sub issue bugged me for a while , always wondered why the most repped (probably) watch ever could always came out with obvious flaws ,, until the noob V5 just now , this seems to be so good ,, still too small for me though ,, I still think there are many reps that look as good as gen ,, even in the out in public environment , I would be surprised if anyone called "fake" that's if anyone was interested..

R1evans

It's a bit like getting a standard BMW 3 series coupe,adding an M sport body kit and alloys,it's going to look nice.

But it ain't ever gonna be an M3.

Edited by R1evans

black263

Maybe the only issue is that you know yours is a rep and think everyone else is able to afford a gen. As far as the x-factor goes. I will tell you an interesting story. My friend would rent out an entire floor at a exclusive hotel. We would head down to a special place and he would buy Rep Rolex's for him and some extras for his "friends".

The 2 guys working security detail received subs. When we would take off to Vegas, every dealer would compliment us on our exotic Rolex watches. You are the x-facotor not the watch!

Interesting theory, but my point (which I seem to have signally failed to deliver) has nowt to do with money at all (except inasmuch as I don't really want any more Gens - I have thirty seven of them already) but it's about my favourite hobby - collecting Reps. Specifically that some Reps are just like the real thing - well as near as dammit, but Rolex Reps are not. Well not the ones I see every day anyway, and I wondered why.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Baldrick

^^^

+1

Dr Yan

36 Timex's and a Seiko............

Kleen™

Nah....it's just the ol' virtual cyberdick-swinging...;)

Realism

Busy doing a laz and stealing insta pics

FunnyStarSystem

lol

repvar

outside of the .0000001% of watch enthusiasts, most people will never know the difference.

so as long as it spells out Rolex and doesn't have any obvious flaws like a crooked date window you'll be fine

and even for watch enthusiasts, they have to be crazy obsessed with watches to tell the difference in person...it's easy to notice the difference when you have 2 images opened next to each other so you can cross check...but in the real world even the cheapest canal street rep will still fool even the biggest watch nerds.

CedricWX

Busy doing a laz and stealing insta pics

Tossers. Well here's 24 of them: Left to right - Rado Titanium Retro, Rado Chrono, Frederick Constant, Rolex Daytona, Rolex Oysterquartz, Omega Speedmaster, Alpina Pilot, Zenith El Primero, Breitling Chrono, Hamilton GMT, Breitling Chrono, Mido Ocean Star original, Hamilton Intra-Matic Thin Line, Omega Dynamic, Mido Jubilee, Ball Eternal, Longines Flagship, Mido Commander (modern), Tag Heuer, Tissot Auto Chrono, Omega Dynamic, WEGA original, Mido Commander original, Omega auto Geneve 1972.

20150907_070044_zpswqbyfuri.jpg

But since the thread is about Rolex Reps this is my current collection:

IMG_6105_zpsbduqezzh.jpg

Edited by CedricWX

Realism

:Yawn: on the 37 gens statement

CedricWX

Fucking pathetic mate. Piss off and get a life. You call me a liar, I prove you wrong, you come back with that shite. Tell you what, heres an idea - You buy the fucking watches you like, I'll buy the watches that interest me, and I will not piss on your collection in public! Can you get your flimsy collection of brain cells around that? Fucking herd animals.

Edited by CedricWX

Realism

Fucking pathetic mate. Piss off and get a life. You call me a liar, I prove you wrong, you come back with that shite. Tell you what, heres an idea - You buy the fucking watches you like, I'll buy the watches that interest me, and I will not piss on your collection in public! Can you get your flimsy collection of brain cells around that? Fucking herd animals.

blah bla blah blah - i think you're the one that needs to piss off and take a deep fart

i do hope you piss on my gen collection in public - because it'd eat your heart out

CedricWX

blah bla blah blah - i think you're the one that needs to piss off and take a deep fart

i do hope you piss on my gen collection in public - because it'd eat your heart out

As I said earlier, the Morons are gathering.

Clinkinfo
outside of the .0000001% of watch enthusiasts, most people will never know the difference.

so as long as it spells out Rolex and doesn't have any obvious flaws like a crooked date window you'll be fine

and even for watch enthusiasts, they have to be crazy obsessed with watches to tell the difference in person...it's easy to notice the difference when you have 2 images opened next to each other so you can cross check...but in the real world even the cheapest canal street rep will still fool even the biggest watch nerds.

I agree. And don't forget, it's rep fans that really "know" the differences to look for to begin with. For example, on my gen explorer II I had no clue what order the hand stack was in until I read it here and then went and looked! My point being, the majority of folks not knee deep in the rep world won't even know what to look for, nor recognize it even if they see it.

gigahertz15

Nice Gen collection mate.

Get something by TC or BK and see if you feel the same way, your reps all seems to be lower end, maybe that's the issue?

CedricWX

I agree. And don't forget, it's rep fans that really "know" the differences to look for to begin with. For example, on my gen explorer II I had no clue what order the hand stack was in until I read it here and then went and looked! My point being, the majority of folks not knee deep in the rep world won't even know what to look for, nor recognize it even if they see it.

One thing I omitted to mention is that when I comment on one of my colleagues watches, they instantly unclasp it and hand it to me for a better look. Which is why I don't want to wear a rep Rolex watch to work. Wouldn't have a problem with a high end AP or Breitling Rep.

CedricWX

Nice Gen collection mate.

Get something by TC or BK and see if you feel the same way, your reps all seems to be lower end, maybe that's the issue?

Yes, I think you may be right on that. Most of them are lower end. (Most of my Gens are lower end too, but I like them)

Mike on a bike

Do you have a TC ? get one put on gen insert, crystal, crown (I did mine for 1000 with cost of watch included) then get back to me.

I guess that if you're comfortable spending $1000. on a replica watch, there's really no point in arguing with you.. :help3:

Frank as build not really over the top you've been around a long time so you should know that. There are vintage builds by me that far exceed 1000

henrychinaski

Geez, that's a LOT of Gaytonas.

vinnychase1

I think I know the issue, sell them all. Each and every one. You have enough to buy a nice vintage gen GMT. I know you like collecting the reps, but the problem might be those are all the high end watches, the golds and rose golds and two tones were never really replicated as well as some of the other watches. You were correct when you stated missing the x-factor, these are certainly missing that x-factor. 30 watches at 200 on M2M thats a very nice watch you can buy.

CedricWX

I think I know the issue, sell them all. Each and every one. You have enough to buy a nice vintage gen GMT. I know you like collecting the reps, but the problem might be those are all the high end watches, the golds and rose golds and two tones were never really replicated as well as some of the other watches. You were correct when you stated missing the x-factor, these are certainly missing that x-factor. 30 watches at 200 on M2M thats a very nice watch you can buy.

Nice idea, however not allowed to make a profit on M2M. The seconds at 6 cost me 10,000 Baht (THB) each, but the rest cost me only 1500 THB each. at current rates 1500 THB is 27 quid or 41 US dollars. I had an idea to display these as a kind of Rolex curiosity in a custom made cabinet (cheap to have made here) which I still want to do eventually. I'm always on the look out for used Rolex, however in Asia they still get very good prices. I have to start buying top Reps from TD's and I think AR coating and top lume is now essential for starters.

Mattcrx

I truely believe that no rep will ever be the same quality as a gen, purely because gens are made to a very very very high standard!l with better tooling, tradesman, materials etc etc they are built ripped apart, tested, tested and tested some more!

We can get reps that are close very close.... But a gen is a gen and expensive for a reason

FreMM
I truely believe that no rep will ever be the same quality as a gen, purely because gens are made to a very very very high standard!l with better tooling, tradesman, materials etc etc they are built ripped apart, tested, tested and tested some more!

We can get reps that are close very close.... But a gen is a gen and expensive for a reason

IMO you pay for the marketing...same with Rollies or Pams...I have a modded 288k which could nt be called out by a long time friend of me who s an AD

Testomatic

Just take ONE good rep and wear it everyday.

Avoid rolex and breitling and all other brands that are heavily copied

And voila you ll feel and act as it was gen ... Come on hand it over to anyone they won t tell the difference

Idiots who wear a different 10k$ watch everyday are the biggest tell of reps owner