Sign in to follow this  
CedricWX

Rolex - I just realised that the real thing is unmistakable

CedricWX

NEVER have I understood all this nonsense

If you really do get all misty eyed and spiritual, transcending into some auto erotic state of mental masturbation over one of these ( albeit overpriced) tool watches

Then

In the name of god go buy yourself one and rent a room

The levels of rapture people go into is surely worth the small expenditure no?

Yep, I'd probably say that too, if I made a living selling reps. It's just a twist on the Gen makers "Fake people buy Fake Watches" Bullshit. Bullshit it nevertheless remains.

CedricWX

The delicious irony of all this is that probably half the watches the OP thinks are gens are actually reps, maybe more. Thailand, right? Rich people buy reps too, especially when they're drowning in them.

You sound like someone who has never been to Thailand. Even more like someone who is not exposed to real wealth every single working day. Irony my arse.

Kleen™

I totally agree; 'the real thing' is unmistakably....ehrm...boring.

Hornet
I was under the impression the 904L steel that Rolex used isn't as scratch resistant as 316L but is much more resistant to corrosion, acid and chloride etc. Much better for diving with?

I may be wrong.

You are correct to a point, the 904 is more corrosion resistant, but the hardness is debatable.....

Technical the 904 shoudld have a lower hardness value than 316, but with all materials this varies within a tolerance band and the processing can have an influence. If you're bored read these.....

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/904l-v-316l-steel-16851.html

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/82263-SS-316L-vs-316F-vs-904L-The-final-VERDICT-A-technical-study

R1evans
C09F4576-701B-4628-8021-2E7863454B29_zpsnhgehen2.jpg

Robin195959

They would say that wouldn't they?

Robin195959

Corrosion resistance of these austenitic Stainless Steels such as 316L and 904L are very similar for all practical purposes in a watch. The tests performed which show variances are performed in very corrosive chemical acids and bases. So for the purposes of diving in salt or fresh water there is very little if any difference that you will ever notice. But if you wear your watch in sulphuric acid or sodium hydroxide for instance you will have much better results with 904L. Of course the seals and internals of the watch would dissolve and oh yeah your body as well. The hardness and other physical properties of the two Stainless Steels are close enough as well so that you will never be able to tell the difference. 904L is more expensive only because it is not as popular in general application as 316L. 316L is used in thousands of marine applications from diving equipment to fixtures and hardware on boats. I have rarely seen any signs of corrosion on any of it in the marine or environment or industrial applications and most of those things were treated a lot rougher than anyones watch ever is. Increased amounts of Nickel and Molyebdenum reduce the suseptibility to chloride induced stress corrossion cracking and pitting which sounds impressive but these are things that occur at elevated temperatures thus not very likely in the ocean anyway.

To summarize, rinse your watch off after you dive and every once in a while anyway even if you don't dive it because your body sweat has chlorides in it also. And don't worry about the difference between 904L and 316L because in the application of a diving watch it just doesn't matter.

CedricWX

Right there, explains what I have seen in Gen Rolex (which is all I referred to) For those who think stringing a couple of coherent sentences together, or commenting on some less tangible aspect of a Gen as opposed to a Rep, constitutes something transcendental and dreamy eyed and spiritual let me express what I meant in more simple terms.

Fuck me rigid, real Rolexes lately don't half look better than the Gens, even though the Reps are fucking amazing. Understand now?

Hornet

Right there, explains what I have seen in Gen Rolex (which is all I referred to) For those who think stringing a couple of coherent sentences together, or commenting on some less tangible aspect of a Gen as opposed to a Rep, constitutes something transcendental and dreamy eyed and spiritual let me express what I meant in more simple terms.

Fuck me rigid, real Rolexes lately don't half look better than the Gens, even though the Reps are fucking amazing. Understand now?

What? Some marketing bollocks from Rolex trumps actual experience of comparing the actual watches and seeing that there is hardly any difference?

Robin195959

In your opinion.

narikaa

If you really do get all misty eyed and spiritual, transcending into some auto erotic state of mental masturbation over one of these ( albeit overpriced) tool watches

Then

Yep, I'd probably say that too, if I made a living selling reps. It's just a twist on the Gen makers "Fake people buy Fake Watches" Bullshit. Bullshit it nevertheless remains.

zzz.gif

Cant follow your logic

I merely pointed out that if something so readily accessible caused me blissful raptures as some here expound I'd go buy the damned thing. And I cant understand the people who in that alleged situation who dont. They are only low level Rolex's being opined over, what at about a fifth of the cost of one of my vehicles.

CedricWX

Then

zzz.gif

Cant follow your logic

I merely pointed out that if something so readily accessible caused me blissful raptures as some here expound I'd go buy the damned thing. And I cant understand the people who in that alleged situation who dont. They are only low level Rolex's being opined over, what at about a fifth of the cost of one of my vehicles.

No, clearly, and I can't follow yours either. Aren't you missing the point of a Rep Forum. The fascination is getting a Rep at a fraction of the cost, that looks like the Gen. I merely pointed out that we may be so close to that goal, that we (may) expect too much when we can't get all the way - I can only speak for myself there. The Gen Rolexes I see every day are obviously Gens, no question, and my reps don't quite cut the mustard. "I'd go and buy the damned thing" you say, well I did, and so did lots of people here, but I'd rather buy a Rep that looks exactly like the Gen any day of the week.

RUSH2112

Then

zzz.gif

Cant follow your logic

The last line is what I've been thinking. This thread is gushing over the stainless Rolex watches and no mention of the gold

RichardMiami

This thread reminds me of that age old question: How do I get that new car smell back into my vehicle?

trailboss99

You know why Rolex use 904? Because no one else does. It's a marketing ploy pure and simple.

CedricWX

Gushing? Misty eyed? Spiritual? Transcending? Erotic state of mental masturbation? Which fucking thread are you reading?

Markonymous

I was under the impression the 904L steel that Rolex used isn't as scratch resistant as 316L but is much more resistant to corrosion, acid and chloride etc. Much better for diving with?

I may be wrong.

My own experience is the Rolex steel is far more resistant to scratching

The places you could use 904L would be highly corrosive environments with high temperatures, labs working with sulphuric acid and such

904L

Rockwell Hardness: 70-90 HR B

Brinell Hardness: 150 HB

tensile streangth: 490 MPa

316L

Rockwell Hardness: 95 HR B

Brinell Hardness: 217 HB

tensile streangth: 485 MPa

Very similar, highly doubtful to show ANY difference from day to day wear even under long periods of time. Though from a medical perspective 904L very allergenic, it has a high nickel content.

its a matter of placebo, if you payed 5000 pounds it OUGHT to be better so you perceive it as better... Just like people feel better after getting a intramuscular shot of saline which does absolutely nothing than after receiving a sugar pill which also does nothing. Sorry for all the medical analogies, work injury i guess...

Baldrick
'd rather buy a Rep that looks exactly like the Gen any day of the week.

For why?.....your'e not making a lot of sense here...don't you know that you can only pee with the cock you're given.

CedricWX
'd rather buy a Rep that looks exactly like the Gen any day of the week.

For why?.....your'e not making a lot of sense here...don't you know that you can only pee with the cock you're given.

Ah, the morons are gathering…. OK to answer your question, TO SAVE MONEY!! Understand?

Edited by CedricWX

Daywatch

The point is, if You buy the best edition rep. Blancpain FF it will look better or equally good to all gens over there in the office, out of the box.

I´d suppose if You take the AP Diver and drop in one of Profs a/r chrystals You have another "aha, gen" - effect. Same with the TC sub with KH - dial.

It just doesn´t "pop" as much with the otb ceramic sub, but this gen came into play just in 2010 and only "became popular" in 2013, if I remember right.

Give it some more years of experimenting and getting the last things right and it will be as good as the 16610. The first rep with silver paint was

released this year in 2015 for the first time, before it was just white.

CedricWX

The point is, if You buy the best edition rep. Blancpain FF it will look better or equally good to all gens over there in the office, out of the box.

I´d suppose if You take the AP Diver and drop in one of Profs a/r chrystals You have another "aha, gen" - effect. Same with the TC sub with KH - dial.

It just doesn´t "pop" as much with the otb ceramic sub, but this gen came into play just in 2010 and only "became popular" in 2013, if I remember right.

Give it some more years of experimenting and getting the last things right and it will be as good as the 16610. The first rep with silver paint was

released this year in 2015 for the first time, before it was just white.

Yes I agree. AP and Breitling Reps are amazing. I have spent a while this morning really cleaning one of my Rolex Reps, soap and water, soft toothbrush, and surfactant polish, and I must admit the shine looks like Gen. Maybe the answer is shine 'em up and keep 'em clean and scratch free.

vinnychase1

Maybe the only issue is that you know yours is a rep and think everyone else is able to afford a gen. As far as the x-factor goes. I will tell you an interesting story. My friend would rent out an entire floor at a exclusive hotel. We would head down to a special place and he would buy Rep Rolex's for him and some extras for his "friends".

The 2 guys working security detail received subs. When we would take off to Vegas, every dealer would compliment us on our exotic Rolex watches. You are the x-facotor not the watch!

CedricWX

Maybe the only issue is that you know yours is a rep and think everyone else is able to afford a gen. As far as the x-factor goes. I will tell you an interesting story. My friend would rent out an entire floor at a exclusive hotel. We would head down to a special place and he would buy Rep Rolex's for him and some extras for his "friends".

The 2 guys working security detail received subs. When we would take off to Vegas, every dealer would compliment us on our exotic Rolex watches. You are the x-facotor not the watch!

Interesting theory, but my point (which I seem to have signally failed to deliver) has nowt to do with money at all (except inasmuch as I don't really want any more Gens - I have thirty seven of them already) but it's about my favourite hobby - collecting Reps. Specifically that some Reps are just like the real thing - well as near as dammit, but Rolex Reps are not. Well not the ones I see every day anyway, and I wondered why.

Mike on a bike

Do you have a TC ? get one put on gen insert, crystal, crown (I did mine for 1000 with cost of watch included) then get back to me.

Frankt8242

Do you have a TC ? get one put on gen insert, crystal, crown (I did mine for 1000 with cost of watch included) then get back to me.

I guess that if you're comfortable spending $1000. on a replica watch, there's really no point in arguing with you.. :help3: