Sign in to follow this  
Jase

More movement decoration of the 8500 reps

Jase

The use of the miyota 8215 with the addition of the decorated plates, has it looking not far of the gen 85** series of movements from Omega.

One glaring tell is the use of the still gold balance wheel, Omega's is black, hence the Si14 (silicone).

Just browsing Toro's site, and spotted an Aqua Terra from a maker I've never heard of before.

"Chang Rong" factory are using the decorated miyota, but it now has a black balance wheel.

Not sure if it's just coloured black, or made from a black material but I suspect the former.

It's still a lot smaller than the gen wheel, but hell, it's not far off. Only us freaks would notice. I suspect the average Omega AD would be fooled.

Get those plate screws blue and you got a super movement, lol.

http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1710

Miyota with gold balance wheel,

3RtLiRD.png

Miyota with black balance wheel,

RPw9uPI.png

Gen 8500,

poti3.jpg

George.

Nice, it's getting there!

Marshall

Just make sure it's actually the rep. I contacted another TD some time ago asking him about an omega with black balance wheel he had on his site and he said he had uploaded the gen pictures by mistake.

Daywatch

It´s all just glued together (not very well glued together). The rotor deco is glued on the rotor, the black plastic screws are just caps glued on, the fake looking rubis are glued, the center of the rotor is a glued cap and the movement regulator thingy is a tiny piece not connected to anything.

If You hear strange noises or see bits and pieces flying around in the see-through caseback just open it and glue them back in place (with good superglue).

For my part I wish the factories just mounted factory-fresh Myotas for added reliability. For another $5 they could hugely improve the lume on the dial - which is the part You can actually see. The see-through case is more or less nice to look at - as long as You don´t put the watch to use - and basically useless as in the second You hand it over anybody will notice it´s a rep (except the grandmother when she is not wearing glasses).

It´s a nice try and nothing more than that. I wish they would stop trying right now - get the other priorities right - and maybe restart in 5 Years time. Ok, let´s put it the other way: I would love to at least have the option to buy it with an undecorated, more reliable movement for a $50 or $100 less.

cufflink

Agree. Deco plates only create potential issues and push up prices. Someone who will know its rep won't be fooled by the plates.

I think a decorated rotor will be enough.

JSJ

Agreed. Are the gens only available with display casebacks? I must admit I've never really checked that but I suspect so.

Jase

I agree, although I wish they'd use the miyota 9015 over the hackless 8215. The 9015 that's in my Obris Morgan Explorer is sweet and has about a 40hr power reserve.

Disagree that 'anyone' would know it's a rep movement though. Yes us watch enthusiasts know, but the sales chap in my nearest Omega AD didnt even know what was significant about the co-axial escapement and it's Si14 balance. He explained the Si14 was the type of steel the case and bracelet were made of. Of course any average Joe public wouldn't know and in most cases couldn't care less.

The factories are doing this for us, because 90% are looking for as close to gen as possible.

I've been out of the rep arena for a year or so and didn't know the plates were all stuck on, so thanks for enlightning me gents.

Jase

Oh, forgot, one good thing is that it'll annoy the stuck up self righteous dicks who insult us rep watch enthuiasts over on the WUS omega fake busters forum.

For that I'm thankful.

bonsaibill

Now that's attention to detail.