Sign in to follow this  
jcglobal

How to open DSSD? - Help needed

jcglobal

I think I am going to try adjusting the movement 2813, in my DSSD.

Any advise on how to open the case? Does is screw off? Or come off some other way.

I do not have one of those wrenches. Is on necessary or can you improvise?

Thanks.

sconehead

I use a rubber ball type thingy known as an Horb...you can get some sticky tape, roll it into a ball (sticky side out) place it on the caseback and press firmly then unscrew...;)

Dendo
I use a rubber ball type thingy known as an Horb...you can get some sticky tape, roll it into a ball (sticky side out) place it on the caseback and press firmly then unscrew... ;)

That Horb is impressive - where did you buy it Sconey?

sconehead
I use a rubber ball type thingy known as an Horb...you can get some sticky tape, roll it into a ball (sticky side out) place it on the caseback and press firmly then unscrew... ;)

https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index...mp;productId=48

Dendo

https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index...mp;productId=48

Are you kidding me - only $3.00

Shit! I just got some stuff from Col and know I need to pay another postage fee......

Now is the time to get that hand removing tool I guess

jcglobal

Thank you . I'll try that and I'll get one of those Horbs too.

jcglobal

Actually the DSSD has a 2 piece case back design. I got inventive and just for kicks I tried opening by putting a screwdriver blade in one of the million grooves and pushing counter clockwise. Viola. It worked. Been fiddling with it all morning tryig to get the regulation right. I noticed that the movement stops every so often so I guess there might be something hanging it up...maybe a burr or something. I see a dis-assembly coming in the near future if the problem persists.

greg_r
Here is a decently priced tool for $29 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0173-Opener-Deepsea-Oy...r-/190490638250

Another one for $25 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Case-Opener-works-w-Ro...5-/400165718294

Avoid those cheapie rolex caseback opener sets from eBay. A lot of 'em will chew up your case back. If you want the proper thing, RWG Shop can sell you a good quality set, but for most people a horb is adequate and safe

Dendo
Actually the DSSD has a 2 piece case back design. I got inventive and just for kicks I tried opening by putting a screwdriver blade in one of the million grooves and pushing counter clockwise. Viola. It worked. Been fiddling with it all morning tryig to get the regulation right. I noticed that the movement stops every so often so I guess there might be something hanging it up...maybe a burr or something. I see a dis-assembly coming in the near future if the problem persists.

You are scaring me.... The screwdriver is great for opening if you do not care about scratches. If you regulate with the watch non-hacked and bring the stem and regulating arm together you will stop the hairspring moving. I would hack the watch before regulating and be very careful - of course I may have completely misunderstood you - if so apologies.

mondeov6
Here is a decently priced tool for $29 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0173-Opener-Deepsea-Oy...r-/190490638250

Another one for $25 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Case-Opener-works-w-Ro...5-/400165718294

Avoid those cheapie rolex caseback opener sets from eBay. A lot of 'em will chew up your case back. If you want the proper thing, RWG Shop can sell you a good quality set, but for most people a horb is adequate and safe

Yup!!.... bought myself a whole set of the cheapie openers (Bergeron wannabies). BIG misstake! They do not grip very well at all and you will end up with lots of scratches on the case back. STAY AWAY!

d1isthe1

Some pics... What is hacking a watch?

SirDomino

Thanks for the heads up on the tools! Will definitely avoid them then.

Slim
Some pics... What is hacking a watch?

A hacking movement is one that can be stopped by pulling out the crown. If you oull out the crown as far as it will go and the second hand stops, you have a hacking movement.

prestigewatchco

I have a DSSD case back tool the standard Rolex kits on the bay etc don't supply the size for a DSSD.

I bought it from OS/Col from the RWG shop.

When I got it I was going to send it back as I thought it didn't fit it was only when I realized it was such a perfect fit with no play what so ever that I got it work.

I don't own another tool that is so precise it is incredible I have removed case backs with cross threaded case backs that have failed to move with a hammer and chisel

If you are serious about working and sealing the DSSD then regardless of how much you spend I have never seen a better made tool than the RWG one

KeNnY
I have a DSSD case back tool the standard Rolex kits on the bay etc don't supply the size for a DSSD.

I bought it from OS/Col from the RWG shop.

When I got it I was going to send it back as I thought it didn't fit it was only when I realized it was such a perfect fit with no play what so ever that I got it work.

I don't own another tool that is so precise it is incredible I have removed case backs with cross threaded case backs that have failed to move with a hammer and chisel

If you are serious about working and sealing the DSSD then regardless of how much you spend I have never seen a better made tool than the RWG one

NICE :beer2: