Sign in to follow this  
Monkeynut

Mineral Glass v Sapphire

sharkey_lsu

I received my first rep yesterday...omega speedmaster pro from Mary (amazing dealer) and I believe it has a sapphire crystal, but how do I differentiate between the two?

narikaa

Water drop test (sapphire congeals it to a droplet, mineral smears it out flat) but some coatings can corrupt the outcome

Some say they can tell a difference in temperature between Sapphire & mineral when pressed against forehead (then again some people say they see dead people)

Or use an electronic diamond tester (it should bleep like a good'un if sapphire)

But if its so difficult to tell them apart...is it really that important

sharkey_lsu
Water drop test (sapphire congeals it to a droplet, mineral smears it out flat) but some coatings can corrupt the outcome

Some say they can tell a difference in temperature between Sapphire & mineral when pressed against forehead (then again some people say they see dead people)

Or use an electronic diamond tester (it should bleep like a good'un if sapphire)

I just did the water test and compared it to my old watch which i know is glass and it was obvious that the new one is sapphire. Thank you!!

Blackadder

I usually get scratches on my sapphire crystals cuz my girl always likes to wear diamonds...

bazguitarman

I have a Seiko dive watch (I know, not a rep.) with their propriatary "Hardlex" mineral crystal. It is scratched all to hell and back. Most of the scratches are of the "nail catch" degree. Now, admitingly I'm a door banger. But the poor watch is looking pretty bad. IMO, it scratches very easily and to such a degree that I'll just pay extra for sapphire from now on.

I'll be buying a steril 44mm from Getat and a U-Boat Flightdeck rep from my income taxes. Both with sapphire crystals. So I think I may retire this watch till I can have the crystal replaced with a sapphire piece. I'm no expert, but if sapphire is any better than mineral that's the way I'm going from now on.

Eric

narikaa

I just did the water test and compared it to my old watch which i know is glass and it was obvious that the new one is sapphire. Thank you!!

Come Robin our work here is done......

KeNnY
Come Robin our work here is done......

:rofl:

offshore
BTW if your mineral [or sapphire for that matter] crystal does scratch it can be buffed out with Diamond Paste, you will need a 3 Micron Paste [around $13] and a 0.25 Micron [around $13 also], using the 3-Micron you polish the crystal with your finger for 3-5 minutes and then finish off with the 0.25 Micron for another 2-3 minutes, et voila!

Just a friendly reminder from your friendly neighborhood Pyromaniac.

And even better, you can get a sapphire polishing kit with both of those diamond paste grades in it for probably 1/2 that price from the RWG shop. Ask Col about it.

O/S

d1isthe1

Three of my pieces are in sapphire and two in mineral including the dssd for which I will go for a sapphire.. The cheapest I have is a Tissot V8 (amazing dial) which has a sapphire and I take it places where it is put thru a lot of abuse... But till date there is not one scratch on the sapphire though the casing has many on it.. I wear my watch in my right hand hence it usually collides with lot of things and watches of friends when they are on my right. Sapphire it is then...