Sign in to follow this  
cigator

My BK DSSD Not Winding Correctly

cigator

I have a BK DSSD for about 6 months or so. Recently when I pull out the crown to wind it clicks and pops and doesnt wind properly. If I wind while pulling out on the crown I can get it to catch some and get some winding done. I wear the watch often, but not everyday so it needs to be wound periodically. The rotor winding seems to be working fine. Any ideas what the likely culprit is? Is it worth fixing or should I just wear it more often or spin the rotor with my hand when Im not wearing it. Thanks.

prestigewatchco

Most likely what caused the problem is too much hand winding. The keyless on automatics are not as robust as on a hand wind and should be gently wound only to get the watch in motion if need be. It will need to have new gears fitted not a huge job but will need to be undertaken by someone who knows what they are doing

cigator
Most likely what caused the problem is too much hand winding. The keyless on automatics are not as robust as on a hand wind and should be gently wound only to get the watch in motion if need be. It will need to have new gears fitted not a huge job but will need to be undertaken by someone who knows what they are doing

Is it usually ok to take a rep to a local repair shop? Any recommendations of where I can send it for repair? How much do you think it would cost?

SirDomino

Is it usually ok to take a rep to a local repair shop? Any recommendations of where I can send it for repair? How much do you think it would cost?

I am curious how often you hand wound the watch, and how many times you turned it? Was it because you let the reserve run down from lack of wear?

The BK DSSD supposedly has brand new, ultra reliable gen swiss movements in them. The 2836 is suppose to utilize the Rotor and not be hand wound if you can help it, and when you do you are suppose to be extremely slow and gentle. This is an issue even in gen watches.

From what I understand you are only to wind the watch until it begins "Ticking" and then set the time/wear it to wind it the rest of the way. You are suppose to use the Rotor ALL THE TIME to wind the watch and only manually wind it if the rotor fails to build up enough of a reserve. Please correct me if I am off, as I am still new at these movements.

Edited by sirdomino

KBH

It's probably the inside of the crown is stripped. My SSD does the same thing. I can get it wound about 10 to 15 hand turns and when it gets a little back pressure from the main spring it starts to slip.

So far it doesn't bother me too much since it winds it enough to get it goingt but one day I'll get around to changing the crown.

I bet it you contacted BK, he'd send you a new crown at no charge.

cigator
It's probably the inside of the crown is stripped. My SSD does the same thing. I can get it wound about 10 to 15 hand turns and when it gets a little back pressure from the main spring it starts to slip.

So far it doesn't bother me too much since it winds it enough to get it goingt but one day I'll get around to changing the crown.

Thanks for the info. I guess it may just be the crown, or it could be some stripped gear the crown contacts. Maybe I did wind it too often or too aggresively, not sure. I do know that I treat my watches well, so I know I didnt violently wind it. I have also noticed that sometimes when I wind it, the rotor spins. Not sure what that means.

KBH

Thanks for the info. I guess it may just be the crown, or it could be some stripped gear the crown contacts. Maybe I did wind it too often or too aggresively, not sure. I do know that I treat my watches well, so I know I didnt violently wind it. I have also noticed that sometimes when I wind it, the rotor spins. Not sure what that means.

If you open up the back and take a look you'll be able to get an idea of whats wrong. If it's the crown you'll see the stem stop moving while you turn the crown. Rotor spinning is another problem all together. There are two little gears (click wheels) under the rotor that allow it to wind in either direction and if one of them goes bad, it will allow the rotor to unwind. It's a relatively easy fix and there's a good tutorial on it somewhere by Franscisco. Unfortunately I failed to bookmark it. They re the ones marked #5 in the picture. Here's how they work:

swatchwindingtrainc-1.jpg

swatchwindingtrainccw.jpg

swatchtransferwheels.jpg

The winding bridge comes off with 2 or 3 screws and you have access to the wheels to change them. It's relatively easy.

Dendo

If you open up the back and take a look you'll be able to get an idea of whats wrong. If it's the crown you'll see the stem stop moving while you turn the crown. Rotor spinning is another problem all together. There are two little gears (click wheels) under the rotor that allow it to wind in either direction and if one of them goes bad, it will allow the rotor to unwind. It's a relatively easy fix and there's a good tutorial on it somewhere by Franscisco. Unfortunately I failed to bookmark it. They re the ones marked #5 in the picture. Here's how they work:

swatchwindingtrainc-1.jpg

swatchwindingtrainccw.jpg

swatchtransferwheels.jpg

The winding bridge comes off with 2 or 3 screws and you have access to the wheels to change them. It's relatively easy.

BUMPED FOR LUTHIER

Luth - I think this was a relevant post regarding your question in the SB. Hope it helps in addition to Robert's advice.

cheers

Denis