Sign in to follow this  
DejaWho

Restoring my father's Seiko -What would you do?

DejaWho

It might sound crazy putting work into a cheap watch, but this one has sentimental value and I'm wondering what you guys would do in my place.

Just got my father's old watch, he passed away when I was 10 (24 years ago) and i'm very excited to get it back into working order.

The watch seems to run fine!. I guess I'll wear it around and make sure it keeps good time. Should I send it to Katt's to examine/maintenance and waterproof?

The glass is really scratched/foggy, would you guys leave it? or should I try some polywatch to make it a little clearer?

I think I would like to keep some of the old scratches and it would also go with the look, but at the current condition it's hard to see the dial.

Does it look like water damage? Again, seems to run fine.

The irony of it... I'm about to receive what would have been my first Seiko next week...

While in Tokyo on the last part of our honeymoon this summer, I've convinced my new wife that while I have many reps, I would love to have a special Seiko from Japan... as a gift from her for our wedding/honeymoon. She's kept it away from me till my birthday next week. Very excited to receive it.

Numbers on the old watch say Seiko 6119-8273.

Thanks in advance for your help/feedback Cheers.

IMG_1114_zpsl3btdqwl.jpg

IMG_1111_zpsaqyehhjl.jpg

IMG_1109_zpslglozxtk.jpg

IMG_1110_zps9x8hiiqw.jpg

This is what his Seiko probably looked like when it was new... (a photo I found online)

original3_zpsaqov05bt.jpg

And my new incoming Seiko: (Though i'm more excited about the Kanji than the English)

811not8CHaL._UY879_.jpg

Edited by DejaWho

RichardMiami

If it is running, then I would not touch the movement.

I might get a new crystal for it... but that is all. Every scratch and bruise on that watch was put there by your father, so it is important for the watch to retain that.

Putting a new crystal would make the watch wearable... which is what it needs.. you should wear it in his memory.

Just my two cents.

DejaWho

Thanks Richard. So you think I should replace the crystal instead of removing some of the scratches on it but keeping the original on there?

Wouldn't it look odd to have a sparkling new crystal on there?

Haltec

Very uncommon bracelet. Nice.

Whatever you do - it will always be your Dad's watch - no worries.

Polish crystal and get a new dial - or even better try to refinish this one yourself.

Bit of metallic spray and cheap - mall made - seiko stamp will do the job.

Now I see that seiko and 5 is casted. Even better. You'll need just south part inscription stamping.

And most important!!!!!

Process some photos of current condition in a old fashion way - so that when the watch (restored by you) become your legacy for your kid - it will have a nice photo story along it...

Edited by Haltec

UmpaHimself

I would try and remove some of the major scratches first. It doesn't have to be perfect to be able to read it. But if that fails then you can always replace the crystal.

Gazzla
811not8CHaL._UY879_.jpg

Get a new crystal. Job done.

What model is this please?

dalboy

I might get a new crystal for it... but that is all. Every scratch and bruise on that watch was put there by your father, so it is important for the watch to retain that.

Putting a new crystal would make the watch wearable... which is what it needs.. you should wear it in his memory.

Just my two cents.

Dito to all the above !!

Dal

Kleen™

Just my two cents.

This. Exactly this!

RichardMiami

Thanks Richard. So you think I should replace the crystal instead of removing some of the scratches on it but keeping the original on there?

Wouldn't it look odd to have a sparkling new crystal on there?

No, it won't look odd. From the pic, it appears that the crystal is too badly damaged for scratch removal.

However, you have nothing to lose by trying. See if it becomes wearable with scratch removal first. If not, you have lost nothing really, so then go ahead and replace it.

Enjoy the watch with pleasant thoughts of your father. :)

DejaWho

Thank you for the replies gents. I will read more carefully when I have time next week. I realize I never really thought to mess with the dial.

What's the procedure to replacing the crystal? Who should I send it to?

Also, seems the watch only runs while it's worn, it stops not long after I put it down...

Get a new crystal. Job done.

What model is this please?

The new watch is model SARY055

Mr Stubbs

If the watch only runs when it's worn, and it's an automatic, the movement requires servicing. I would take the watch to a Seiko dealer for service as well as a new crystal.

seclark007

yeah, I would have to agree with Stubbs....and by extension, Richard. Because it's an older watch, you want to wear it, and that crystal is buggered, I would recommend going to an authorized Seiko dealer and getting it serviced and have the crystal replaced. As part of the servicing, they will do everything to factory spec, and you will have new 'glass' to boot.

I would request that they don't do any polishing of the case in an attempt to mitigate any dings. Each one was put there by your Dad, and that will be something you can share.....

just my 2 cents

GenTLe

I think that the dial needs to be replaced too... It doesn't look only a crystal problem, looks like the dial got some water on it too..

BenjaminButton

Richard summed it up perfectly. Replace the crystal and no more - and I'd even keep the original crystal. Every mark on that watch is the hand of your father. That for me is the true value of any heirloom.

Hornet
If the watch only runs when it's worn, and it's an automatic, the movement requires servicing. I would take the watch to a Seiko dealer for service as well as a new crystal.

+1 on this, but I'd not replace the crystal. As has been said all the patina has put there by your dad, so why remove it? You can still tell the time can't you?

MoveAlong

I fall in the replace the crystal group to make it useable. Or, maybe just think if your Father would have worn it regularly in the current condition? If so, don't touch it. Either way, it's always going to have that special meaning to you.

DejaWho

Just an update...

Seiko repair had the watch in their hands and said they don't have the crystal to replace it... which seems silly since it'a available on ebay.

Anyone have any idea who I can send it to as far as the movement goes? I'm not sure why they didn't touch that either.

trailboss99

I have to disagree with those who said don't touch the movement, it will need a service after all those years as the oils have probably dried out long ago. Continued use will bugger it and also if those "tide" marks are on the inside of the crystal it's been wet in there.

Mate, look up the local phone book, find an independent watchmaker close to you and take it to him. I'd say you may be able to save the crystal with some polywatch and no movement is easier to service than that one. Just tell him you want it left in original condition as much as possible and ask him not to polish the case.

Daytona_Dreamer

Really a priceless beauty. I would make every effort to do as little as possible to this watch...in agreement with general concensus here.

Try polywatch on the crystal first. If that is not enough, I've read on other forums that suscess can be had with Cape Cod cloth lightly on the crystal. It could be then followed by polywatch again. Maybe others here on RWG have used Cape Cod on really bad crystals and could chime in.

fetasigma

I agree I would polywatch it first, you have nothing to lose. Wish I had pics of the before on my grandfathers omega but the crystal was just as bad, polished up like new. Here is the after, you could barley see through it before

7EC3F4B1-2EF7-4B15-91FC-6DC441DEFC71-709-00000031D66ACC89_zpsc84ddfef.jpg

myaz

Mate, look up the local phone book, find an independent watchmaker close to you and take it to him. I'd say you may be able to save the crystal with some polywatch and no movement is easier to service than that one. Just tell him you want it left in original condition as much as possible and ask him not to polish the case.

Agreed. You tried the Seiko people and they didn't help you. Therefore, next is the independent watchmaker.

You might be worried that somehow the Seiko people know something that the local watch smith doesn't. Along the lines of fearing voiding a Seiko warranty. However, the movement is not one of these complex, one of a kind types and since it runs, you won't need any proprietary Seiko only replacement parts, just a "tune 'n lube", something that's pretty much routine.

Make sure that the watch smith has experience. There is no shortage of wannabe watch smiths that get in over their heads, if you go by the what we have experienced here, with a few that had become members here....only to eventually flame out undertaking jobs beyond their abilities. Good luck.

DejaWho

Thank you for all the great advice guys!... I am really looking forward to getting it in wearable condition.

When I was packing it to be shipped to Seiko my sister happened to be around and noticed the watch. her immediate reaction was "oh my god, dad's wedding watch!" (to which I responded "you knew about this??"). She said she had no idea it was still around.

Sure enough.. I looked up a photo from their wedding (late 60's I believe) and you can see he's wearing it.

I agree I would polywatch it first, you have nothing to lose. Wish I had pics of the before on my grandfathers omega but the crystal was just as bad, polished up like new. Here is the after, you could barley see through it before

I have a polywatch around here somewhere, I guess I may as well try since I'm looking to replace the crystal anyway...

How does one make sure the watch smith is actually a good one before trusting them with the job?

Daywatch

As others have said, try the polywatch first. If the result is fine I´d have it several days continuously on the wrist to first get it really going again. It was stopped for a long time. Check the everyday performance in the time keeping department, later the power reserve, it might improve a lot.

The other white one You´re getting has "misaligned everything" can´t even remember seeing that on a Seiko. Maybe it´s just a random picture but if it´s the one You´re getting try asking for another.

trailboss99
How does one make sure the watch smith is actually a good one before trusting them with the job?

Mate, any certified watchmaker who has a bricks and mortar business can overhaul that movement. As I said it's the simplest there is, not even a keyless works as it's self winding only. For anyone who works on watches for his daily bread it is almost impossible to bugger that one up. The most important thing is to tell him not to polish it if you wish to retain the patina.

DejaWho

The other white one You´re getting has "misaligned everything" can´t even remember seeing that on a Seiko. Maybe it´s just a random picture but if it´s the one You´re getting try asking for another.

I'm pretty sure that's the Seiko stock photo!