Sign in to follow this  
Paulsamax

Looking after a rep

Paulsamax

Hi. Apologies if this has been posted before but what is the best way to prolong the life of a rep? I know that for gens the watch ideally should always be wound and not allowed to stop for any length of time. Is this the best advice for reps too? Thanks in advance

dalboy

Depends ..

Movement etc . 7750's for example .. don't hand wind , gentle shake , then strap on and go .

Dal.

dalboy

Oh , and remember , avoid running the Chronos if you have any .

Service and lube is also a good idea , i dont bother with a Winder , waste of time IMO

GenTLe
Hi. Apologies if this has been posted before but what is the best way to prolong the life of a rep? I know that for gens the watch ideally should always be wound and not allowed to stop for any length of time. Is this the best advice for reps too? Thanks in advance

It is not correct to say that a gen should be always wound and running... Let it discharge will avoid unnecessary wear and will help the mainspring not to set.

Replica are the same as gen, but I always suggest that a proper service of the movement help a lot because in general the even good movements comes not properly oiled and often quite dirty.

Paulsamax

Thanks Guys. I tend to rotate my watches anyway. I've just picked up a v nice Daytona Paul Newman. I hadn't thought about servicing so that's where it's off to next week

Paparolf

I have found with all my reps, just leave them in the display case and when I want to wear one, gentle shake for auto or quick wind with non auto and away I go. Not had any problems. With Quartz I just leave the crown out and push back in when I want to wear.

Paulsamax

Good point re the quartz ones. Now if only Reg had any snoopy Speedmasters in stock!

drmdtsap

I have found with all my reps, just leave them in the display case and when I want to wear one, gentle shake for auto or quick wind with non auto and away I go. Not had any problems. With Quartz I just leave the crown out and push back in when I want to wear.

but by keeping the crown out, there is a risk of dust getting into the case, isn't it?

Also if you continuously adjusting the time won't you risk any wear at all?

Edited by drmdtsap

Wolf359

If you really love your 7750 reps, plan on slapping a swiss eta on there. Soon I will do that to my twin superavengers

Left Coast Guy

If you really love your 7750 reps, plan on slapping a swiss eta on there. Soon I will do that to my twin superavengers

IMHO, you'd be better off spending $300 on getting your a7750 professionally serviced than spending $500 on a new ETA mov't and however much more its going to cost to get it installed. The problem with the a7750's is more the poor oiling and sloppy assembly than issues with the parts themself, albeit with a few exceptions (mainspring, winding wheel)

drmdtsap

Guys how often a service is required to a movement? Let's say TC2824 or ETA 2824. And how much usually costs? Also is there an issue if you hand winding your movement? If do a sport, is there a possibility of damage due to the socks?

myaz

Hi. Apologies if this has been posted before but what is the best way to prolong the life of a rep?

Here's the thinking. The movements in reps have, by and large, parts that do the same functions as gens, only there's not the same precision and fit between the parts. Expect reps not to last as long as gens. The more functions, the more moving parts. Expect complicated movements not to last as long as simple movements.

21J movements are the cheapest, oft considered "throw away" if something goes wrong. Seagull movements are surprisingly well made and as said above, 7750s have known issues with the chrono functions.

Therefore, obviously, the less you use them, the longer they'll last. Besides that, avoid dropping them, they don't survive as well as gens. Be gentle with the crown and pushers. Avoid water, water resistance is a crap shoot. Preemptive service for your nicer reps, which I haven't personally done to mine, will remove dust and the occasional piece of crud that comes included with the watch, free of charge.

GenTLe
Guys how often a service is required to a movement? Let's say TC2824 or ETA 2824. And how much usually costs? Also is there an issue if you hand winding your movement? If do a sport, is there a possibility of damage due to the socks?

When it starts to loose time then it is time for a service. I would say 4+ years but a lot depends from the original state of the movement.

Cost? 100+Eur and more for a chrono.

No problem to hand wind them except for 775x: you can do that but not too much, 10 turns are ok, 20+ are risky.

drmdtsap

When it starts to loose time then it is time for a service. I would say 4+ years but a lot depends from the original state of the movement.

Cost? 100+Eur and more for a chrono.

No problem to hand wind them except for 775x: you can do that but not too much, 10 turns are ok, 20+ are risky.

thanks for the fast answers.

drmdtsap

In strong sports is there a possibility of stressing the movement?

GenTLe

Definitively. Consider that in many brands' watch instructions it is specified to avoid sports that transmit shocks to the arm like tennis or golf.

RUSH2112

Not just the movement. Broke my planet ocean bracelet playing American football. Lost a couple screws out of it...

drmdtsap

Definitively. Consider that in many brands' watch instructions it is specified to avoid sports that transmit shocks to the arm like tennis or golf.

Good Lord... I did not know that!!!

drmdtsap

Not just the movement. Broke my planet ocean bracelet playing American football. Lost a couple screws out of it...

Holly shit!!! Mate american football wearing a watch ? You did want to injure someone hard, didn't you? Hahaha, just kidding...

Edited by drmdtsap

drmdtsap

Next question: is there a problem if i shake intense the watch to give it a good auto winding?

Edited by drmdtsap

RUSH2112

Holly shit!!! Mate american football wearing a watch ? You did want to injure someone hard, didn't you? Hahaha, just kidding...

We were setting up our tables for one of those cancer society overnight walks. One thing led to another and a football game broke out. I broke a watch and another guy actually broke his collar bone. True story.

drmdtsap

We were setting up our tables for one of those cancer society overnight walks. One thing led to another and a football game broke out. I broke a watch and another guy actually broke his collar bone. True story.

And a nice one-good cause

Edited by drmdtsap

GenTLe
Next question: is there a problem if i shake intense the watch to give it a good auto winding?

Mate, a mechanical watch is composed by 70+ pieces (minimum). Gears have pinions like 0.2mm. What do you think?

Manual wind it until it starts and then put it on your wrist and forget about it.

drmdtsap

Ok. Guess you are right.

Clinkinfo

Mate, a mechanical watch is composed by 70+ pieces (minimum). Gears have pinions like 0.2mm. What do you think?

Manual wind it until it starts and then put it on your wrist and forget about it.

Yeah, I've always heard you are better off winding, not shaking, to start a mechanical watch.