Sign in to follow this  
Paulsamax

Looking after a rep

drmdtsap

Also, because i am a little confused, when it's best to change the date manually? Set the hands at one hour before midnight and then change the date? Or between 2 am and 10pm?

GenTLe

Also, because i am a little confused, when it's best to change the date manually? Set the hands at one hour before midnight and then change the date? Or between 2 am and 10pm?

This is the best way to kill a mechanical watch.

You must avoid to change the date when the automatic date change mechanism is engaged which is exactly between around 9PM to 3AM. So put it at 6 (AM or PM) then change date and then fix the time.

drmdtsap

Thanks. You are a savior.

Tr1cky

The best thing about reps...... when its broken just get a new better version

Beats a £500 service on a rollie

unreformed66
Guys how often a service is required to a movement? Let's say TC2824 or ETA 2824. And how much usually costs? Also is there an issue if you hand winding your movement? If do a sport, is there a possibility of damage due to the socks?

When it starts to loose time then it is time for a service. I would say 4+ years but a lot depends from the original state of the movement.

Cost? 100+Eur and more for a chrono.

No problem to hand wind them except for 775x: you can do that but not too much, 10 turns are ok, 20+ are risky.

Actually most watches that need a service will start to GAIN time rather than lose it. This is because as the state of lubrication in the watch degrades the power transmitted through the train diminishes and the balance makes a shorter arc (loss of amplitude) which in turn makes the watch run faster. If they're losing time they're probably either stopping and starting or have a loose cannon pinion.