Sign in to follow this  
Drhulee

Scratches and dings, how bad do they have to be before they start to bug you

Drhulee

As I'm happily popping pills and downing them with Cognac, my mind has been filling up with all sorts of useless and trivial questions. For instance, when does the condition of your watch start to call out "I need refinishing you lazy bastard!".

Or perhaps you are the type of anal retentive rep buyer that complains to dealers if the brushing on your bracelets is perfectly parallel to the edges of the link ends.

Or maybe you spend your spare time with some buffing compound and a lint-free cloth making sure all your Breitlings can be used to surreptitiously stare at that blonde sitting a few tables over from you?

Or do you just not care, and consider every scratch and dent just one more step to your watch being called vintage?

Also, on a related subject, if a watch you are thinking of selling has scratches on it how much would you discount it if you're feeling too lazy to get them out yourself?

tardman91

If it's a scratch or dent that I've caused myself I either learn to live with it or buy a new watch. If I get it in the mail with some flaws, then it really bothers me.

turnipz

If its a vintage then I enjoy a nice scratch down it. :D

SirDomino
If it's a scratch or dent that I've caused myself I either learn to live with it or buy a new watch. If I get it in the mail with some flaws, then it really bothers me.

+1 gazillion.

but isn't that part of reps? flaws? dents? dings? scratches? imperfection? glue? goop? etc?

Drhulee
If I get it in the mail with some flaws, then it really bothers me.

If it's a new watch, I agree. But when buying from other members, just so long as it doesn't take more than 10 minutes or so to remove myself, I don't really care - I mean after all it is a used watch :D

By the way, I'm not talking about deep dings or major dents, just surface marks that could be sanded, brushed, and/or polished out by anyone with the knowhow and some spare time.

Drhulee
but isn't that part of reps? flaws? dents? dings? scratches? imperfection? glue? goop? etc?

Nah, flaws on reps are deviations from the gen. Glue, imperfections, goop, etc., are all quality control failures. Scratches and dings are wear and tear.

w204

It doesn't bother me too much since it is a rep. If it was a gen, then it would bother me.

Scratches on the sapphire can be buffed out. You can also polish off some small scratches too.

Blackadder

Watches are meant to be worn... I say beat the fuck out of it and be proud you can!