Sign in to follow this  
cogwatch

The New Superocean 44 Sucks (IMHO)

cogwatch

While cruising the Breitling AD and the Breitling website last weekend I discovered something interesting.

The Superocean 44mm, commonly known here at the SOA 44 or Superocean Abyss 44, that many of us know an love is now discontinued.

The first pic below is the old version. This is the yellow highlight version that I have the rep of, which I love.

The second pic below is the new version. It's boring, way to busy, and just unattractive in my opinion.

What do you guys think???

The old version we know and love

IMG_6834_zpsey6ncb9i.jpg

The new, boring, way too busy version (IMHO)

New%20SOQ%2044_zpswslfy1g5.png

N.Rico

I only like chronos in breintling , and I agree with your oppinion .

Del

Yeah, not overly convinced about the new model.

I actually prefer the new Colt to be honest:-

Breitling-colt-watches-2014-12.jpg

Jagsman

I agreed definitely not special. I missed out on Del's yellow accent SOA44 and still regret it!

Paparolf

Agree, much prefer the old version, nice clean lines. New model is to busy for me.

Mariner89

I may be alone in this but I prefer the newer version ... it looks more like a respectable sports watch to me instead of the colorful yellow on the older one

griffon22

I agree with the OP , I prefer bar markers for the hours ,all those numericals look too "TIMEX" to me .

Genius

They have definitely ruined it

NFleischer

Yep, old > new.

rusty peters

It looks like a throwback to the mid 90's Superoceans. Not a compliment. The new Steelfish chrono is nice though.

_DC_

Agreed, I'd never wear one because it's far too big for my puny girl arms, but I've always loved the aesthetic of the old one, really well balanced and most importantly it's got it's own identity and style. The new one however, is just boring and for god sake Breitling design your own bezel rather than doing what everyone does and copying the submariner, lord above!!!

Yeah, not overly convinced about the new model.

I actually prefer the new Colt to be honest:-

Breitling-colt-watches-2014-12.jpg

That is sexy, tell me it's a wearable size?!?!?

DC

Dawg

Love the old one. I have a rep with the blue highlights and love the watch. New one looks too busy.

_DC_

44mm....... DOH!!!!!

I do wish Breitling had an option for us girthily challenged of wrist!!

DC

UmpaHimself

Yeah, it was one of their cleanest watch and the bezel font really set it apart. Now it just looks like another busy submariner clone

Rg0576

It would look better if stick markers were substituted for the numbers...kind of like the seawolf.

Robin195959

Are we sure these two are comparable? I thought the Abyss models referred to 2000m +. I can't find any reference to this design in that depth range.

Ps I prefer the 'old' design too.

Sakurai

Much prefer the old version, especially the chrono but also the three hand. However, as I already have them as reps (super reps at that!) I've actually been eyeing the new blue dial three hand recently - in 44mm the dial is acceptably busy, even though the old one def was nicer.

lizmark

i totally agree! cant understand that move from breitling.

feel lucky i purchased my superocean 44 gen last year :-)

cogwatch

Are we sure these two are comparable? I thought the Abyss models referred to 2000m +. I can't find any reference to this design in that depth range.

The sales rep at the AD said that was the replacement. But I just saw a new one on the Breitling website that wasn't there when I looked this weekend. It's a chrono and looks in line with the old design. It's the "Superocean Chronograph M2000". Maybe the sales rep at the AD was wrong (oh that hasn't happened before) and a new non-chrono M2000 is coming but hasn't' been released yet.

This is the Superocean Chronograph M2000 that seems to have just showed up on the website.

M2000_zpsy8boig3p.png

Robin195959

The sales rep at the AD said that was the replacement. But I just saw a new one on the Breitling website that wasn't there when I looked this weekend. It's a chrono and looks in line with the old design. It's the "Superocean Chronograph M2000". Maybe the sales rep at the AD was wrong (oh that hasn't happened before) and a new non-chrono M2000 is coming but hasn't' been released yet.

This is the Superocean Chronograph M2000 that seems to have just showed up on the website.

M2000_zpsy8boig3p.png

That's more like the popular design. Let's hope a non chrono to come.

Amg32

The font on that second one conparison to the old one is not good

Amg32

This watch is a real gem mates, i believe it is around 1500 pounds.

Piccolo

The new one looks very Longines Hydroconquest-like to me. Prefer the look of the old one out of the two.

@DC - I think the older Colt was a smaller size, and still looked fairly clean. You can pick them up for not too much money as well.

cogwatch

Note, the AD that I went to carries all of 2 brands - Rolex and Breitling. You would think a sales rep at an AD that carries only 2 brands would know them pretty well, which is what I assumed. I think I likely assumed wrong and the sales rep didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground......

Sakurai

Note, the AD that I went to carries all of 2 brands - Rolex and Breitling. You would think a sales rep at an AD that carries only 2 brands would know them pretty well, which is what I assumed. I think I likely assumed wrong and the sales rep didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground......

The M2000 has been around for a while, it's a quartz (or 'superquartz') with magnetic pushers.