Sign in to follow this  
sharkey_lsu

Omega Speedmaster Pro Movement

sharkey_lsu

I received my omega speedmaster pro two days ago and other than a few issues I am overall happy with it. The main issue is that the crown is starting to strip the treads on the case and I am worried that it will break sooner than I hoped. I have contacted mary and she said not to worry until it actually breaks and she would send a new crown, but I think it will be the watch case that will need to be replaced. I am not too worried because I have had a good experience with Mary so far even though this is my first rep. Aside from the crown, and some very minor issues the main thing that bothers me is the subdial at 6:00 which is merely a duplicate of the hour hand and has no reason to be there and I know it is the most noticeable tell that my watch is a rep. Could anyone make a suggestion of how I could further hide this flaw? Is it possible to take the subdial hand off and move it to another hour so that it could be a second time zone or something like that? I just hate how it runs parallel with the large hour hand at all times. I would like to post pictures, but I do not have a Macro lens camera and no detaill shows up on any pictures I take.

greg_r

Yes, you could remove the hand and reset it at a different time if you wish. Others have actually frozen the hand@6 by removing the gear that drives it. Personally I don't see the point - 99.9% of people out there wouldn't know the difference, and the ones that would are hardly likely to be able to see that while it's on your wrist. It's a well-known limitation of that particular rep and is due to the fact that the ST19 movement is only set up to drive two subdials by default. There was an A7750 version of that watch at one point, but I'd go for the ST19 every time - far more reliable.

It's worth being careful with screw-down crowns. Always turn the crown anti-clockwise to engage the threads before starting to screw it down. With care that will preserve the threads. The crown is often the first part to go.

sharkey_lsu
Yes, you could remove the hand and reset it at a different time if you wish. Others have actually frozen the hand@6 by removing the gear that drives it. Personally I don't see the point - 99.9% of people out there wouldn't know the difference, and the ones that would are hardly likely to be able to see that while it's on your wrist. It's a well-known limitation of that particular rep and is due to the fact that the ST19 movement is only set up to drive two subdials by default. There was an A7750 version of that watch at one point, but I'd go for the ST19 every time - far more reliable.

It's worth being careful with screw-down crowns. Always turn the crown anti-clockwise to engage the threads before starting to screw it down. With care that will preserve the threads. The crown is often the first part to go.

Thanks Greg, I agree that most people would not notice it...unless they actually looked at it up close and so far a lot have people have wanted to look at it. I really like the idea of freezing the hour subdial but I think I would freeze it at 12 so it would be like it is a recently started chrono. Im not sure how hard that would be to do but I am no watch smith so I do not want to risk destroying my watch. Would that be a rather simple process? Aside from this one subdial, I have to admit that I love the ST19 movement and it looks amazing from the back (although i would like to have some omega engravings on the movement as it looks a little generic without)