Sign in to follow this  
Mariner89

Has anyone ever been turned down at an AD?

RUSH2112

I typically dress down a bit on purpose making large purchases simply because I want the best possible price and know I'll likely pay more of dressed too well. Not enough hair on the head for dreads

ShovelnTC

Mate I wouldn't take offense.

I used to play hard rock/metal and got around with very long hair and lots of black and studs etc and often got denied entry even at some pubs and gigs.

If we choose to have a non-conformist-traditionalist "different" appearance then we can't expect to be accepted by conservative folk as after all isn't that why we choose that appearance in the first place.

Face up to it luxury watches really are the domain of conservative society and to the average conservative Dreds are just not the the way to "wear" your hair.

For me I don't really take any retailers opinion of me too seriously but when in their territory I try to blend in just so I don't draw unwanted attention.

As far as going back and waving a pile of cash and then not buying anything as suggested by an earlier post, that really won't impress anyone and will more likely just give the impression that you are a bigger wanker than the doorman.

Oh and if I was the doorman I would probably have told you to fuck off too cause I know what thieves those drug taking Rasto's are :giggle:

Daffy

I knew Arthur Jones, the guy who invented the Nautilus weight system. He built a home that has the largest private runway in the world, which John Travolta now owns here in Florida.

One time, he flew his 747 to Africa and picked up 5 dozen baby elephants to save them from extermination, and brought them back to Jumbolair to raise as his own herd.

He told me about going to buy some new cars for him and his wife. He put on his old, grease stained overalls and stuffed $100,000 into the bib and various pockets, and then made a trip to the closest Jaguar dealership. The salesman was snooty, and said "Grandpa, you can't afford these cars". He took out a number of rolls of cash and put them on the hood of the car. He then put them back into his pockets and told the sales guy that he was an asshole. He went down the street to the Mercedes dealer, and bought a couple of those instead.

Every time I hear a story about people being refused service due to the way they look, I always remember Arthur telling me this story. It makes me smile, and want to share it.

Mariner89

I used to play hard rock/metal and got around with very long hair and lots of black and studs etc and often got denied entry even at some pubs and gigs.

If we choose to have a non-conformist-traditionalist "different" appearance then we can't expect to be accepted by conservative folk as after all isn't that why we choose that appearance in the first place.

Face up to it luxury watches really are the domain of conservative society and to the average conservative Dreds are just not the the way to "wear" your hair.

For me I don't really take any retailers opinion of me too seriously but when in their territory I try to blend in just so I don't draw unwanted attention.

As far as going back and waving a pile of cash and then not buying anything as suggested by an earlier post, that really won't impress anyone and will more likely just give the impression that you are a bigger wanker than the doorman.

Oh and if I was the doorman I would probably have told you to fuck off too cause I know what thieves those drug taking Rasto's are :giggle:

HAHA ... stud's a poofy hair ... now that's an image ... trust me I am in no way have some sort of image crisis over this ... just a bit of fuck the doorman crisis ... You have to post pics of you're rockin days ... please tell me there was loads of spandex

trailboss99

@Daffy

Well technically it's not a totally private runway. The place was supposed to be an airpark (a cluster of homes around a jointly owned runway and other facilities) but the Travolta (nee Jones) estate was the only house built.

UmpaHimself

Wow, that's pretty bad. The first time I ever went into a tourneau they didn't deny me service but nobody looked at or talked to me. Not even a hint of service. I was in my early 20's and was wearing a PAM homage at the time (pre joining here) but I had the sense to take it off before entering so I was basically young and watchless, but dressed decent enough. I've seen plenty of older guys dressed like bums at Ball Harbor mall in Miami but they have a 20k AP on and driving an S550 or something. Clothing or style should never be the deciding factor.

myaz

Clothing or style should never be the deciding factor.

Words we SHOULD all live by. Also don't judge the book by its cover, etc.......Easy to say.

Nevertheless, everyone starts to form mental conclusions the second they meet someone new. They can be based on how they look, how and what they say and your own personal upbringing/background but you WILL make judgments.

As per Umpa, the trick is to recognize that's gonna happen and don't let it be the deciding factor. Having said that, if you see 5 hooded figures at the end of a dark alley, make your mental conclusions before venturing deep into the alley.

baxter

I know that store in Dam square ... the big one on the corner ?

I have a relevant story which is more positive. 30 odd years ago when i was a scruffy young 20 year old oik me and a friend [ who was even more scruffy ] decided to go and have a look around our local Bang & Olusen center. I must admit to feeling a little intimidated by it all and was hoping we could just have a look round and be ignored by the staff and then be on our merry way.

No such luck ..... the fucking owner comes over to us.

At this point i'm thinking that this will be a little awkward as we weren't going to buy anything [ clearly ] and looked more like we were there to clean his windows.

He asked us if he could help and i think we mumbled that we were just looking around. He then proceeded to spend half an hour with us showing us the entire product range and being very pleasant and never once condescending.

The moral here .... a few years later after having a pretty good year i went back there and bought two televisions, a hi-fi, a set of big speakers and a set of smaller ones and had them all wired in together in my flat.

The owner came out to inspect the installation and i told him the story about when my friend and i visited his shop a few years earlier. He said firstly i never judge anyone because you never know but [ and this was the nice thing ] that's not really the point, we are passionate about what we do and the product we sell and we love to tell people about it if they are interested.

At the end of the day the doorman is a symptom of the attitudes that come from the owners / managers and all you can do as a customer is vote with your feet and spend your money where it matters to the business who is selling you the watch.

There is a place in the Burlington arcade in London " vintage watch company " who have a staggering array of vintage rolex ..... they are also staggeringly rude,arrogant beyond words and their prices are almost double the market value. The first time i went in there i was blown away by the attitude i received, now i often pop in when i'm in London just for my own amusement. I've asked around the other dealers in the arcade and they tell me that they don't care because they only sell to rich tourists who don't know any better. The point i guess, is that they will do business anyway so they don't care if you buy or not.

There's an anecdotal thread on tmz : [ & honestly if you've been there and had " the treatment " you will know it's true :

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?198779-Burlington-arcade-shocker-vintage-rolex

cogwatch

All I can say is........Dam watch store!!!!!

millionaire wannabe
suit.png_zpsmep0ax7t.jpeghit them with a discrimination lawsuit.....settle out of court for 6 or 7 figures, then go on a gen buying spree at their competition! :)

Retina

That is some snobbish attitude... Pity that they judge so quickly.

Mariner89

I know that store in Dam square ... the big one on the corner ?

I have a relevant story which is more positive. 30 odd years ago when i was a scruffy young 20 year old oik me and a friend [ who was even more scruffy ] decided to go and have a look around our local Bang & Olusen center. I must admit to feeling a little intimidated by it all and was hoping we could just have a look round and be ignored by the staff and then be on our merry way.

No such luck ..... the fucking owner comes over to us.

At this point i'm thinking that this will be a little awkward as we weren't going to buy anything [ clearly ] and looked more like we were there to clean his windows.

He asked us if he could help and i think we mumbled that we were just looking around. He then proceeded to spend half an hour with us showing us the entire product range and being very pleasant and never once condescending.

The moral here .... a few years later after having a pretty good year i went back there and bought two televisions, a hi-fi, a set of big speakers and a set of smaller ones and had them all wired in together in my flat.

The owner came out to inspect the installation and i told him the story about when my friend and i visited his shop a few years earlier. He said firstly i never judge anyone because you never know but [ and this was the nice thing ] that's not really the point, we are passionate about what we do and the product we sell and we love to tell people about it if they are interested.

At the end of the day the doorman is a symptom of the attitudes that come from the owners / managers and all you can do as a customer is vote with your feet and spend your money where it matters to the business who is selling you the watch.

There is a place in the Burlington arcade in London " vintage watch company " who have a staggering array of vintage rolex ..... they are also staggeringly rude,arrogant beyond words and their prices are almost double the market value. The first time i went in there i was blown away by the attitude i received, now i often pop in when i'm in London just for my own amusement. I've asked around the other dealers in the arcade and they tell me that they don't care because they only sell to rich tourists who don't know any better. The point i guess, is that they will do business anyway so they don't care if you buy or not.

There's an anecdotal thread on tmz : [ & honestly if you've been there and had " the treatment " you will know it's true :

http://forum.tz-uk.c...r-vintage-rolex

Yep that's the one ... it's honestly just like the Burlington you mention ... purely to cater to dumb tourists who don't know better, but it's still nice to look at sometimes

ShovelnTC

HAHA ... stud's a poofy hair ... now that's an image ... trust me I am in no way have some sort of image crisis over this ... just a bit of fuck the doorman crisis ... You have to post pics of you're rockin days ... please tell me there was loads of spandex

Spandex was just too gay for my liking mate but in the early days of my performing career I was to be seen wearing some very tight Saturn trousers (read that flairs :giggle: ) as was the uniform in the mid 70's for would be rock stars (Shudder) I will try to dig out a star pose for you if I can sweep off enough of the dust from the photo albums.

Although I did have to threaten violence to one of my singers in order to get him to stop wearing that shit as standing behind a man wearing body hugging spandex was more than a hetero bass player could stomach at the time :vomit:

Amg32

Who needs an AD if we got this place :) but on a serious note , I wouldnt take that guy seriouly but i understand how you feel. I use to work for a bank mate and we had some of the most un casual people walk in and i would help them with money transactions they would be dressed so normal or worse then normal . And guess what they where very Rich :) i never try to judge ppl by how they dress

Amg32

I got to admit that would be a horrible bad taste in my mouth if someone did that to me. Sorry you had to go through that lad.

drmdtsap

This reminds of my story. Back on the 1997, i was still a student on medicine school. I wanted a good watch, so my dad had funded me to purchase a TAG HEUER. I went to an AD(TAG, Rolex, Omega watches) in the centre of the city but i was dressed with jeans, my pair of Nike shoes, a T-shirt and a Swatch on my left wrist-i was only 20 years old, how on earth should i have dressed like?I entered the shop and asked if i could wear the TAG of my choice. The man there said to me with a bad ass attitude :''you better try a watch you could afford". Then i answered this:" who the fuck do you think you are to judge me? You do not even know me! I will surely report you to the TAG Heuer executive dealer as the rudest AD". I took my wallet out showing him the money(ok, dad's money)and said "Too bad for you i can afford it. But i will turn myself to an AD who respects the client". Left and bought the same watch from another AD who made me a better offer regarding the price. 13 years later the rude AD was no longer in business. Righteous God, won't you say?

PS: i found out recently from my AD when i changed battery to my Aquaracer that he had spent all of his money to cocaine and hookers... Way to go mate...

Edited by drmdtsap

drmdtsap

Who needs an AD if we got this place :) but on a serious note , I wouldnt take that guy seriouly but i understand how you feel. I use to work for a bank mate and we had some of the most un casual people walk in and i would help them with money transactions they would be dressed so normal or worse then normal . And guess what they where very Rich :) i never try to judge ppl by how they dress

That's for sure. We should not judge other people from the looks. Get to know them and then judge their characters. But again i think it's better not to judge anyone...

Mariner89

That's for sure. We should not judge other people from the looks. Get to know them and then judge their characters. But again i think it's better not to judge anyone...

Right ... because let's be honest ... If you saw Kieth Richards or Ozzy Osourne walk into a AD after a night out you may think a homeless guy wandered in drunk haha

trailboss99

That Burlington Arcade store needs a visit from Archie :lol:

Mariner89

That Burlington Arcade store needs a visit from Archie :lol:

I'm pretty sure after that the UK will finally free Australia ... just to keep him away

RichardMiami

PS: i found out recently from my AD when i changed battery to my Aquaracer that he haf spent all of his money to cocaine and hookers... Way to go mate...

At least it wasn't wasted! :D

drmdtsap

Ha ha ha

NFleischer

Was it a racial issue? If so, I wouldn't let it go so easily. I would return

and speak to the manager or owner. We're not talking about a rope line at a disco. Just my 2 cents.

RichardMiami

I suffer from the exact opposite problem....... I show up at an AD, and they let me in, offer me coffee, have pretty girls smile at me..................

this all allows me to remain continually broke.. ;)

Mariner89

Was it a racial issue? If so, I wouldn't let it go so easily. I would return

and speak to the manager or owner. We're not talking about a rope line at a disco. Just my 2 cents.

No racial issue ... I'm white ... though the doorman was Middle Eastern looking but I doubt that's the reason.

I suffer from the exact opposite problem....... I show up at an AD, and they let me in, offer me coffee, have pretty girls smile at me..................

this all allows me to remain continually broke.. ;)

Oh poor Richard ... next time just go in and play the part for a free drink ... maybe ask for a tandem foot massage from the sales girls