Sign in to follow this  
Cyril_Clunge

What size hammer do I hit it with?

Cyril_Clunge

Chaps, need advice from those of you who understand how these shiny watch things actually work. My Safari is knackered and I need to know if its an easy fix, fixable but at great cost, or go and buy a new one situation.

Basically, it won't start with a shake and when I wind it, I can feel the spring tension start to build up, the watch starts running but as soon as the crown is released it sort of goes "whirrrr"and everything unwinds and stops. Suggestions gratefully received.

black263

Click ratchet thingy broken. Easy fix. Maybe even just fell off inside. Easier fix. There is a video of how to let down the mainspring of a pocket and wrist-watch at https://www.youtube....?v=hWxasnWfGsU. Basically, your watch is auto-doing the same thing. Regardless of make, the principle is the same, althought the click design varies, and you need to look for that bit on your watch.

elp

I think the sprocket isn't engaging properly with the widget. Suggest Finland in the run-up to Christmas; 2 raindeers with one stone and all that. :)

Maybe the click spring that is supposed to stop the ratchet wheel spinning back has an issue? Not sure though, if you can open and take a pic I'm sure the collective knowledge of the forum would assist. Remember to catch any flying bits before they land in the shaggy carpet though. Good luck.

trailboss99

Either the click spring or something in the reversing gear mate.

As for what size hammer, the largest you have of course! :rolleyes:

Cyril_Clunge

Right, when I get a chance I'll take the back off and gave a look. No doubt my next post will be along the lines of "well there was a "boing" noise and then everything bounced off the walls" :facepalm:

MetalMickey

This is the hammer you need

e3412d0398e1de1d0f2543ec90da4af5.jpeg

Kleen™
Right, when I get a chance I'll take the back off and gave a look. No doubt my next post will be along the lines of "well there was a "boing" noise and then everything bounced off the walls" :facepalm:

I did exactly that....'was told be an (undoubtedly well-meaning former) tinkerer, that it was just the clickspring that needed replacing/relocation....after which I went at it with much resolve....and totally destroyed it. Thank god it was only a rep...:D

greg_r

I did exactly that....'was told be an (undoubtedly well-meaning former) tinkerer, that it was just the clickspring that needed replacing/relocation....after which I went at it with much resolve....and totally destroyed it. Thank god it was only a rep... :D

If you haven't destroyed at least one rep, you really can't call yourself a full-fledged RWG member. I've destroyed several over the years :lol:

elp

If you haven't destroyed at least one rep, you really can't call yourself a full-fledged RWG member.

Does that make SSTEEL RWG Premier® member?

RichardMiami

greg_r

If you haven't destroyed at least one rep, you really can't call yourself a full-fledged RWG member.

Does that make SSTEEL RWG Premier® member?

Um no. It needs to be your own rep, not somebody else's :lol:

Kleen™

I did exactly that....'was told be an (undoubtedly well-meaning former) tinkerer, that it was just the clickspring that needed replacing/relocation....after which I went at it with much resolve....and totally destroyed it. Thank god it was only a rep... :D

If you haven't destroyed at least one rep, you really can't call yourself a full-fledged RWG member. I've destroyed several over the years :lol:

Oh no worries there, mate - I've rendered several useless; even brand new ones...:D

Mazz

drop a shed on it that should fix it

GenTLe

I agree with others: if the rotor spins back then I'd point to the reverse gear click (visible through a hole of the autowind plate), otherwise to the main click, which, by the way, is hidden below 2 plates, autowind and chronograph ones (= you have to fully unassemble the whole movement).

The reverse gear click is inside the hole at the top of this picture, between the screw and the jewel:

Asian-ETA-7750-Click-Wheel-Autowinder-Rotor-Clutch.jpg

insert-here

This size will work

cutcaster-photo-100752348-Hammer-smashing-luxurious-wrist-watch_zpsvmszefaf.jpg

Dr Yan

Can't help you with this one Cy but if the same thing, or anything in fact, should happen to your Speedmaster just send it to me and I'll sort it for ya !!!!

;)

It does sound like the clicky fing 'as come disimbobulated from the springy wotsname.....should be an easy enough fix.

millionaire wannabe

cat%20funny.png_zpsbs723zzb.jpeg