Sign in to follow this  
john doe iii

Asian 2813 movement

john doe iii

How bad is this movement, sweep wise, reliability, etc? I'm pondering if I should go with the cheaper version of the Explorer II - 2813 ($148) vs. 2836 ($328)?

I currently have another Explorer II which has the orange fading issues - though it does have the 2836 movement and I was thinking if its cost efficient or possible to swap into the same identical watch with the cheaper movement. :giggle:

Thanks in advance.

GenTLe

2813 is quite obvious when you look at the sweep of second hand. It is the most recognizable sign of a fake for me (beside the really bad reps). There are no spare parts (but it is also very cheap to replace). For me is a no-go but for many it is a valid cheaper alternative.

Up to you really.

RichardMiami

Roses are red

Violets are blue

This is a question

It ain't a review

Moved to GD

john doe iii

Can I swap my current 2836 into the new watch?

BadPickle
Can I swap my current 2836 into the new watch?

Hand sizes are different, movement size different......

Before the idiots come to take the piss outta you, I suggest you do a little research. Sign up to the other big rep forums and use that search bar like it's your dirty bitch :giggle:

Seriously mate, do some reading ;)

Good luck

Daywatch

1. You can´t swap these movements, they are not compatible.

2. You simply can´t evaluate how good the 2813 is for You before trying it out. I had never have one fail on me. They are loud, rough, resistant and cheap.

The seconds hand moves 5-6 times a second instead of 8 so when staring there is a visible difference, at a glance it is the same.

I have read that for GMTs the 2813 is "native" while the ETA is "adapted" so the 2813 could be more reliable. Don´t know if it´s the case with the Explorer II.

With a $200 difference it´s a good watch to try out the 2813, maybe go for the colour You like less?

ads-1991

2813 has 21,600bph whereas the 2836 has 28,800bph (6 beats per second vs 8 beats per second). That's why the 2836 has a smoother sweep.

Both are reliable. If you know how to swap movements you can just put another 2813 in for $30 when it goes bad and your good again for years :)

Both have pros and cons.

tinnio

my personal opinion is that you always get the best available version...otherwise you'll always be self conscious and just won't enjoy the watch thinking you'll easily be called out

in reality obviously this isn't true. Hell 99% of the population would be fooled by a cheapo $30 quartz aliexpress special

markeym3

I would imagine nearly everyone on here has had a 21j movement at some point ,, I reckon they are a quite a good movement for a cheapy and as mentioned cheap to replace ,,

it's good to get your choice of watch in 21j and see how it wears and if you really like it then get the higher beat movement and better version ,, then sell the 21j in the M2m sales section.

Or better still look out for one in the M2M section....

greg_r

Even after 15 years of collecting, I still have several 21Js. Reliable, cheap - what's not to like?

Left Coast Guy

I think its a bit a matter of taste and there is some opinion, but in that vein, will provide my take.

I now always go with the 2824/2836 over the 2813. First, the sweep is certainly cleaner with the 28XX models, which I do think does a lot for the look of the watch, but also, I've had issues with 2813 mov'ts. Specifically, #1, I had a Omega Seamaster that just stopped dead after ~2 month; I'm a somewhat handy tinkerer, so I attempted to find the problem and fix, but couldn't -- on the bright side, for $20 i got replacement mov't and swapped, and haven't had an issue since. And, #2, I have a DSSD where the date wheel broke. I opened it up to sniff around and found one of the components of the date mechanism had broken (literally into pieces). Upon digging around, I've found the datewheel mechanism can be problematic for that model.

So for me, I stick with 28XX, and if I did go 2813, I'd only do so on a model without a date function.