Sign in to follow this  
paultthomas

My new acquisition Rolex 5512

Mendota

Hey guys. This could use some discussion to weed out which offering this is. Another member over on the other RWG bought a 5512 from Josh just last month. He posted up tons of pics all the way from his QC pics to his build. It was determined that while the crown guards were indeed much better than the old ones, the caseback was a SD caseback. Also, from the case thickness, it appears to be a SD case but without the HE valve. It was too thick. The link to the exact watch was posted and it was listed on Josh's site in 2010. The speculation is that the old stubby cases have been used up and now the cartel cases are coming with the better crown guards, even though none of the website pics are updated to show it.

Two additional cases have been offered up as great contenders. Josh has a red 1680 that has fantastic case dimensions, and Tony at Asian7750 has a red 1680 that is great. Another member on the other RWG used Tony's 1680 as the base for his 5513. The crown guards are excellent, the dimensions are great, the rep tube accepts a gen crown, and the Yuki dial for ETA fits perfectly. I don't remember what the lug engravings show. Not a huge deal because if that really irks you, you can always have JMB custom engrave it for you.

This one pictured in this thread doesn't appear to be the same 5512 that Josh sells on his site. In fact, look at that dial texture and specifically the hour markers and indices. The texture and grain looks spot on to aged tritium. Where did this dial come from? It isn't stock cartel. The stock cartel 5512 dial is shown in many pics in the other RWG thread.

OP - did you mod the dial or is this a replacement?

Edited by Mendota

Robin195959
Do you really like the strap on it?

Do you get happy in the morning when you see this.... a think more depressed...

For me it's a no go,..but that's just me.... :archaeology:

Said the guy who likes denim straps! :daffy:

Mendota

OP - could you please post some additional pics of the watch showing different angles, including the caseback and the lug engravings? Thanks so much. This looks promising.

fetasigma

i always feel if you are going to do a bond nato it needs to go on a 6538

78DF594C-2EAF-4322-AAA3-828F1CBB0B58_zpsocmn0czh.jpg

Harkin Banks

Dial looks the same as the one I bought within the last year so that is stock cartel from what I can tell now. It is from the BP factory. But the case is entirely different than the one I have with the stubbier crown guards. I just swapped the movement in mine and the dial had no feet soldered in. Mine had a metal ring with dial feet on it and the ring is adhered to the dial. I'm not a smith so maybe this is common in reps. I would guess this allows the factories to use the same dial between the 2824/2836 movement and the 2813 movement because the feet are in different places.

Scott Disick

Really nice watch you have here. Good purchase.

ShovelnTC

Old%20school%20James%20Bond_zpsnw57cwoz.jpg

Nice watch, nice shot and I like the Nato.

Welcome!

aaamax

Is the op mia? something isn't sitting quite right with this… a little too good i say.

Mendota
Is the op mia? something isn't sitting quite right with this… a little too good i say.

Exactly. There are definitely mods that have been done. I don't care who that dial came from - it has been modded. Look at the grainy lume texture of the indices. In 8 years of drooling over vintage builds on the forums I've never seen a stock cartel dial come with texture like that. Same with the cg. The new cartel pieces are indeed much improved, but not to that degree of polish and shape.

It's a great build. I just want to know what went into it for my own future reference. No need to be secretive.

paultthomas

Hey guys. This could use some discussion to weed out which offering this is. Another member over on the other RWG bought a 5512 from Josh just last month. He posted up tons of pics all the way from his QC pics to his build. It was determined that while the crown guards were indeed much better than the old ones, the caseback was a SD caseback. Also, from the case thickness, it appears to be a SD case but without the HE valve. It was too thick. The link to the exact watch was posted and it was listed on Josh's site in 2010. The speculation is that the old stubby cases have been used up and now the cartel cases are coming with the better crown guards, even though none of the website pics are updated to show it.

Two additional cases have been offered up as great contenders. Josh has a red 1680 that has fantastic case dimensions, and Tony at Asian7750 has a red 1680 that is great. Another member on the other RWG used Tony's 1680 as the base for his 5513. The crown guards are excellent, the dimensions are great, the rep tube accepts a gen crown, and the Yuki dial for ETA fits perfectly. I don't remember what the lug engravings show. Not a huge deal because if that really irks you, you can always have JMB custom engrave it for you.

This one pictured in this thread doesn't appear to be the same 5512 that Josh sells on his site. In fact, look at that dial texture and specifically the hour markers and indices. The texture and grain looks spot on to aged tritium. Where did this dial come from? It isn't stock cartel. The stock cartel 5512 dial is shown in many pics in the other RWG thread.

OP - did you mod the dial or is this a replacement?

I posted this just as it came. The only 'mod' was the strap which I bought off Ebay.

Jackflash

I posted this just as it came. The only 'mod' was the strap which I bought off Ebay.

Thanks for the clarification. You certainly started a lot of speculation :)

Btw. Does it have 1665 stamped between the lugs?

paultthomas

Thanks for the clarification. You certainly started a lot of speculation :)

Btw. Does it have 1665 stamped between the lugs?

It does indeed. 1665_zpse04ence9.jpg

paultthomas

Paul, could you please post a shot of the engravings between the lugs? Thanks:)

Stailess_zps7cdlnmcq.jpg

With all this scrutiny, I discovered this. STAILESS STEEL. That's really irritated me!

Kleen™

Stailess_zps7cdlnmcq.jpg

With all this scrutiny, I discovered this. STAILESS STEEL. That's really irritated me!

Uh...buggery...!

Testomatic

Stailess_zps7cdlnmcq.jpg

Uh...buggery...!

Well now we know it s not gen :-)

Anyway i m still buying one can you post the exact link from PC ? I want to make sure I take the same

paultthomas

Stailess_zps7cdlnmcq.jpg

Uh...buggery...!

Well now we know it s not gen :-)

Anyway i m still buying one can you post the exact link from PC ? I want to make sure I take the same

http://www.pf-818.com/0rlsv01007-vintage-5512-660ft200m-date-a2836-p-9482.html I did email him first as I hadn't done business with him before.

fetasigma

The stailess is easily covered up with a bracelet or a set of custom endlinks. I like the endlinks anyway on a lot of mine with bands as I feel it finishes the look.

D032A81A-FC24-46B9-A156-7A512ED187D0_zpsjs9f3myk.jpg

AE1D6B63-14B6-49BF-8675-D9C02599B613_zps0edl7kze.jpg

1CAA7B38-4936-4698-BDB0-ACBDEC5B5964_zps4crikzd7.jpg

paultthomas

The stailess is easily covered up with a bracelet or a set of custom endlinks. I like the endlinks anyway on a lot of mine with bands as I feel it finishes the look.

D032A81A-FC24-46B9-A156-7A512ED187D0_zpsjs9f3myk.jpg

AE1D6B63-14B6-49BF-8675-D9C02599B613_zps0edl7kze.jpg

1CAA7B38-4936-4698-BDB0-ACBDEC5B5964_zps4crikzd7.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I have end-links which came with the bracelet. Not really visible with the fabric strap on, just a minor irritation based on all the good feedback this has had.

RUSH2112

I hate it when my steel has stail

Ishmael

Hey OP, there exists not one single replica watch without some sort of issue relative to it's gen counterpart, to varying degrees of "glaring". Count yourself lucky that yours is between the lugs, and hide-able :)

You have a nice watch, enjoy it!

Jackflash
Old school James Bond_zpsnw57cwoz.jpg

Thanks for posting. Yeap, unfortunately "Stailess Steel" is very common with the Cartel mid-cases. I usually sand any discrepancies out (wrong model and typos) leaving a brushed finish.

You've wetted my appetite for another 5513 build. I've ordered one from Josh too :)

Edited by Jackflash

Ishmael

Thanks for posting. Yeap, unfortunately "Stainless Steel" is very common with the Cartel mid-cases. I usually sand any discrepancies out (wrong model and typos) leaving a brushed finish.

You've wetted my appetite for another 5513 build. I've ordered one from Josh too :)

Says the guy with the best 5517 I've ever seen. Can't wait to see this one mate!

Jackflash

Says the guy with the best 5517 I've ever seen. Can't wait to see this one mate!

LOL. Thanks mate. No pressure then ;)

Lorenove06

So, anybody received the same case ?

Keep us updated, guys.

michel7752

Today I received from Perfect Clones a Submariner 5513 (with "underline" and "explorer dial"). Look for watch RLSV01108A on their website. I am not able at the moment to make good macro shots, sorry.

But you might be interested that I got the new upgraded cartel Submariner, i.e. with the same wrong markings between the lugs as the model 5512 discussed above:

"Stailess Steel" (missing "n")

I have learned about this "new" cartel Submariner only after I had ordered my 5513. Of course I am positively surprised and pleased that the new version was sent, and this without any prior specific request.