Sign in to follow this  
Hornet

The Bulova Moonwatch.

Hornet

Hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere on rwg so excuse me if I'm repeating this......

Basically it's a recreation of the one off watch that was worn by Dave Scott on his Apollo mission, his watch was recently auctioned for $1.6m.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-bulova-moonwatch-re-edition-with-a-high-beat-quartz-movement-and-550-pricetag

1402a341d51ee4e4e5839d989ae341c4_zpskvs1iuh5.jpg

ba3358309104d52dd4cb258377e63aa1_zpsn4e3kv7e.jpg

a4c7fadb94158a9f4f56cdbd15297be9_zpsozvgny1l.jpg

ac5488c46eb36ae71835102ace6db83d_zpsuorgxrro.jpg

Not bad looking and reasonable price tag.....

WatchDog21

Looks very interesting but I miss the tuning fork on the dial, something I believe they have moved away from. I would like to see some of the specs on it.

houndoggie

looks sharp.. the good thing is it will be selling for $300 before long.

Robin195959

Really like that. Maybe a vintage lume etc?

millionaire wannabe

Very cool. I'm going to get one of these.

Del

Excellent, that's my birthday present sorted in early 2016! :D

Looks very nice, and I love the history. Would sit great next to my Omega Moonwatch!

Jonnybaws

I really liked that...

But the fact that they sponsor Man United.. I'll never but it!!!

HeavyKrush
Really like that. Maybe a vintage lume etc?
+1 on this.

TheSav

I quite like that. I've always had a bit of an on off love affair with bulova. This one gets me back to the on side :)

Hornet
Looks very interesting but I miss the tuning fork on the dial, something I believe they have moved away from. I would like to see some of the specs on it.

Here's what they say about the tuning fork....

The Tuning Fork: Past, Present and Future

To our customers:

You may have noticed that we recently updated our logo, refreshing our graphics and changing our use of the tuning fork symbol to emphasize its proper place in our history. This renowned corporate icon will be featured on the dials of our new Bulova Accutron II exclusively, and will no longer appear on Bulova or Bulova Accu·Swiss dials.

A proud symbol of Bulova’s leadership in technology, the tuning fork initially signified the revolutionary tuning fork movement of Accutron, the world’s first fully electronic watch. Our new Bulova Accutron II brand, like the original Accutron, is powered by a highly accurate electronic breakthrough, the Precisionist-class quartz movement, and features a continuously sweeping floating second hand. As the logical successor to the Accutron tradition, only Bulova Accutron II will include a tuning fork on its dial, emphasizing the meaning of the symbol itself.

To continue honoring this important symbol of the Bulova story, the tuning fork will continue to function as a corporate icon, appearing on Bulova and Bulova Accu·Swiss crowns, buckles and casebacks, unless the design makes it impractical.

In our efforts to sharpen brand equity and tell a consistent story through design and technology, we have also tightened the scope of each collection. For our high-performance Marine Star, this has meant limiting the name and the special Marine Star logo to those watches that, like the original Marine Star, are dive watches or offer style notes consistent with a dive watch. Existing models that did not meet that design standard have been moved to the general Bulova collection and have had the Marine Star logo removed.

Please be assured that every Bulova timepiece purchased from an authorized dealer should be completely authentic and that each of our brands will continue to provide the reliable blend of design and technology expected by our loyal and valued customers.

Hornet
I really liked that...

I'm not bothered by that thankfully :D

Hornet
Excellent, that's my birthday present sorted in early 2016! :D

Looks very nice, and I love the history. Would sit great next to my Omega Moonwatch!

Hmmm, I'm thinking the same thing, early birthday present!

I quite like that. I've always had a bit of an on off love affair with bulova. This one gets me back to the on side :)

Glad to help rekindle a love affair.....

UmpaHimself

Interesting. Would like to see it in person. Maybe I missed it but will the crystal be sapphire?

Hornet
Interesting. Would like to see it in person. Maybe I missed it but will the crystal be sapphire?

Specifics on the watch are sparse I'm afraid.....

narikaa

Sorry, peel away the story and its just another ho hum chrono

Chrisby

Nice pick up fella......

You haven't bought it? Well then i'm not wasting my time in this thread any longer....

:D

I'm liking the look of this one, any details on the price yet? I'd Google it myself but I don't even use the search function here

Hornet

Maybe it needs a meteorite dial to jazz it up?

WatchDog21

Here's what they say about the tuning fork....

The Tuning Fork: Past, Present and Future

To our customers:

You may have noticed that we recently updated our logo, refreshing our graphics and changing our use of the tuning fork symbol to emphasize its proper place in our history. This renowned corporate icon will be featured on the dials of our new Bulova Accutron II exclusively, and will no longer appear on Bulova or Bulova Accu·Swiss dials.

A proud symbol of Bulova’s leadership in technology, the tuning fork initially signified the revolutionary tuning fork movement of Accutron, the world’s first fully electronic watch. Our new Bulova Accutron II brand, like the original Accutron, is powered by a highly accurate electronic breakthrough, the Precisionist-class quartz movement, and features a continuously sweeping floating second hand. As the logical successor to the Accutron tradition, only Bulova Accutron II will include a tuning fork on its dial, emphasizing the meaning of the symbol itself.

To continue honoring this important symbol of the Bulova story, the tuning fork will continue to function as a corporate icon, appearing on Bulova and Bulova Accu·Swiss crowns, buckles and casebacks, unless the design makes it impractical.

In our efforts to sharpen brand equity and tell a consistent story through design and technology, we have also tightened the scope of each collection. For our high-performance Marine Star, this has meant limiting the name and the special Marine Star logo to those watches that, like the original Marine Star, are dive watches or offer style notes consistent with a dive watch. Existing models that did not meet that design standard have been moved to the general Bulova collection and have had the Marine Star logo removed.

Please be assured that every Bulova timepiece purchased from an authorized dealer should be completely authentic and that each of our brands will continue to provide the reliable blend of design and technology expected by our loyal and valued customers.

Ah! That explains why I was seeing it on some but not others, I was looking at the Accuton as well. I understand their logic in this move and I guess it makes some sense but the tuning for for me is iconic to their entire brand. I won't let that discourage me from buying one though!

RUSH2112
Hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere on rwg so excuse me if I'm repeating this......

Basically it's a recreation of the one off watch that was worn by Dave Scott on his Apollo mission, his watch was recently auctioned for $1.6m.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-bulova-moonwatch-re-edition-with-a-high-beat-quartz-movement-and-550-pricetag ..

I like it. The irony is the hodinkee article is celebration over the creation of a replica of the original watch that is affordable and attainable. Sounds familiar...

Hornet

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-bulova-moonwatch-re-edition-with-a-high-beat-quartz-movement-and-550-pricetag ..

I like it. The irony is the hodinkee article is celebration over the creation of a replica of the original watch that is affordable and attainable. Sounds familiar...

I think it's OK for the original manufacturer to remake a watch that they actually only made one of on the first place.....

.....I find omega's continual reissuing of the moonwatch hilarious; celebration of history or a cynical use to create a cash cow?

Chavezzito

I really liked that...

Tssssk...Bulova don´t want your business anyways :lol:

RUSH2112

I think it's OK for the original manufacturer to remake a watch that they actually only made one of on the first place.....

.....I find omega's continual reissuing of the moonwatch hilarious; celebration of history or a cynical use to create a cash cow?

It's ok, just ironic that they like a replica. It's an official replica, but a rep.

Daffy

It wouldn't be considered a rep, I don't believe. They built a prototype, and then gave it to an astronaut. And then took it into production 40 years later... No profiteering at all. We swear.

Shamrock

Nice find, will definitely consider it, when i saw the initial auction news i wondered why Bulova wasn't taking advantage of it, didn't have long to wait I see.

porschespeedster

this is OK, but an accurate replica of the original would have been better.

nothing's wrong with a 2015 Corvette, but a '67? That's something I'd drive :)