Sign in to follow this  
dalboy

How much has your taste changed ..

dalboy

I look at my watch box now and cant help but think its the Polar opposite of what it once was .

There are a few exceptions , always been into Breitlings , its the overall look i guess , others tend to be similar in look by different makes .

Remember a time waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when the sight of a Panerai did nothing for me at all , but as most of you know the Pam bug bites and before you know it ... your hoooked .. happens to most eventually ..

Iv'e Liked AP's for ages , but never to the degree of wanting one , that said i have owned a few .. .. my latest is the Roo Ceramic Panda i got from Bawsey .. it has revived my interest in them .. the Bumble Bee doe's sod all for me sadly .... Sorry Jez .. nice as it may be it don't float my boat .

Not big on Dress watches ,, they all with a few exceptions wear small on me , besides my kinda job prohibits the daily use of them..

Rollies .. been in and out of love with them , UN's too.. and a few others ..... Makes i have owned .. oh the list is endless , as is the list i have yet to acquire .. PP's .. they may well be next on my list .. Who knows , i'll see .. Variety is after all " The Spice of life " or so they say ..

The one true constant in my collection is the absence of all things Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuublot ! :vomit: .. Never liked them .. doubt i ever will .

So .. the watch box , how much has it evolved since your first purchase .. and if you were to start again today how diverse would its contents be ?

Overall .. mine with a few exceptions is a Country mile from day one .. but that was some 20 ... something years ago .. God Help me !! all that money .. :lol:

Dal.

Jonnybaws

With the Wind mate...

I hated the Square B&Rs.. Now, I quite like'em!

Never been much of a Sub fan, Now see to be drawn to them.

Always loved APs.. Now they don't turn me on any more (Oh err...)

Swings and Roundabouts mate..

Fuck knows what I'll Like tomorrow..

Genius

Go on the show us yer box :rofl:

:ttiwwop:

fatarms

Started off looking for a rep sub (duh?) and found this place after weeks of research. I eventually bought PAMs and got bored of them quickly. I only have the 52mm DSN left because it's big and somewhat different from the 44-47mm versions. I have a homage 127, but pretty much only keep it around for the baseball glove strap I had made for it.

I toyed around with some other brands, but nothing really stuck. Got into a tourbillon kick for a while and owned three or four different ones over a year or so. Started to sell those off and look for gens or frankens.

I'm basically right back where I started with Rolex now, just ordered a 116710 and have a franken TC 16610 LN along with a unmodded/unfranken 16613. Lost my franken TC shark LV 16610 to one of those untrusted watch repair guys that just got banned, that was my favorite rep. Damn. Oh well...

Jonnybaws

Go on the show us yer box

+1

Sort it out Dal, you should know better!

Where's that block button?

WatchDog21

My taste has made a dramatic change after finding this place. When I first arrived the only watch I had my eye on was a Rolex; now it has expanded well past that and of course gotten a bit more expensive in taste as well. RWG has expanded both my knowledge and personal watch choices! Now I am going to go back and look for my original collections pictures to reflect on this topic a bit more.

fetasigma

basically for me it was a big change...used to be an omega fanboy, but with the exception of my gen speedmaster i rarely wear them anymore, but still have them...

I used to hate rollies, now i have an in depth love of the vintage variety

had no clue about pams, now have severall and love em

still wouldnt touch an AP, or hublot just not my style

Edited by fetasigma

Chrisby

Well that's a lot of wordy bollocks that I can't be bothered to read.... :rofl:

Arism

I used to love modern Rolex, but now they just put me off; far too blingy for my tastes. Vintage Rolex is a totally different matter.

I had a brief dabble with Pams, and then Omega which culminated in a gen Speedy purchase.

Then came a lust for APs, ROOs specifically which never resulted in a purchase.

Now still very much firmly stuck with the vintage Rolex bug.

machiavegli

Me too Dal.

Currently feeling the most love for less common reps. I'm constantly checking the m2m for a rep I haven't seen before rather than a latest and greatest 12th version of a rep everyone's got. My favorite brands are evolving a lot too, starting to feel PAMs are a bit same-y and Rolex a bit too conservative for me, liking complicated watches more and more. I'm more obsessed now with "cool" IMHO of course rather than 1:1, after 10 years of wearing reps of all qualities and never being called out once.

By the way ;) I agree this thread is useless without pics of your collection!!!!

black263

I got divorced and married Clare. Does that count?

Hornet
Well that's a lot of wordy bollocks that I can't be bothered to read.... :rofl:

+1 Chris......

I fell asleep half way through the OPs post. I'll bookmark it just in case another bout of insomnia kicks in......

myaz

There's a few reps I got just because I liked the gen so much.....but these reps disappoint because they're not close.

If I had to do it over, I'd teach myself to accept that it's better to pass on some reps that you want so bad but are not well repped.

As for changing tastes, they do. Some guys will buy a sports car early on, then transition to a 4 door sedan after getting married, and back to a convertible after the kids grow up. :P

Hornet
Go on the show us yer box :rofl:

Yes, Dal where are the pictures? Can you enliven things with a Pictorial history of your watch tastes up to where it all went wrong?

fetasigma

Me too Dal.

Currently feeling the most love for less common reps. I'm constantly checking the m2m for a rep I haven't seen before rather than a latest and greatest 12th version of a rep everyone's got. My favorite brands are evolving a lot too, starting to feel PAMs are a bit same-y and Rolex a bit too conservative for me, liking complicated watches more and more. I'm more obsessed now with "cool" IMHO of course rather than 1:1, after 10 years of wearing reps of all qualities and never being called out once.

By the way ;) I agree this thread is useless without pics of your collection!!!!

thats why i have a Tudor snowflake, a Tudor 7032, and a spinmaster 6240 right there.....you just cant find those guys anywhere anymore

tinnio

I went from smaller watches(38-40mm) to pretty much nothing but 44mm watches.

Honestly always felt 44mm watches were just too massive but then I got a PAM, and just got used to the big watch style

Robin195959

I started off not too keen on Hublots, now they make me physically sick.

black263

I started of not too keen on Hublots, now they make me physically sick.

Better than having them pass right through your digestive system, and shredding your arse as they come out.

Hornet

Better than having them pass right through your digestive system, and shredding your arse as they come out.

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Chrisby

:rofl: :rofl:

Jeez they could do some real damage. ...

Robin195959

:rofl: :rofl:

Jeez they could do some real damage. ...

Yep those poorly engineered screws would be agony on the out!!!

Chrisby

Okay I'll post my one serious answer.

Every night I look at my watch box and think what a polar opposite it has been.

It started off as a bedside table, then bought more watches and it became a carry pouch. Then some kind gentleman heard that I didn't have a watchbox and bought me one (thanks Dal) ... so now my watchbox has become an actual watchbox.

Robin195959

Seriously started not liking Rolex at all. Now have five!

greg_r

I started off in this hobby because I liked watches.

I still do, unfortunately. :throwingmoney:

:lol:

Newbie17

Big changes for sure to my watchbox. When I first started out, I had a notion to get a Seamaster, Speedmaster, and Railmaster. Everything else has come and gone except those 3. Like everyone else, I was initially attracted to brands even the most non-horological type knew...Rolex, Omega, Cartier...but now I much prefer brands like NOMOS, Tudor, and have caught the inevitable PAM bug. Early on I also discovered my love of IWC, Glasshutte, Nomos, and Lange...must be the closet German in me...something about the simplicity of the Bauhaus style, and the precision of German watchmaking draws me in.

Cheers to all you enablers!!!