Sign in to follow this  
RichardMiami

My new aviator watch - the Cartier Santos 100

RichardMiami

Yesterday, Mrs. Miami and I went to Tourneau - they were holding a Tudor Black Bay in black for me to see. I wore my Black Bay in red for comparison, and almost immediately realized that the Black Bay black photographs a lot better than it looks in person. It was a disappointment, so no sale.

So........ while consoling myself looking through the rest of their selection, I spotted what is truly one of my grail watches: The classic Cartier Santos 100 XL in stainless steel. I did not want the gold bezel version, since that is a "ding" magnet. This particular watch was immaculate, no scratches, no dings, even the leather strap was perfect (and it fit my wrist with no adjustment at all). This was clearly meant to be MINE.

Among the benefits of buying a Tourneau CPO is the price, the service guarantees, and the fact that after a few years, all I have to do is bring it in and they will polish it up and even replace the strap at no charge!

Here is the technical stuff:

Large model, steel, leather ref: W20073X8

Louis Cartier created the Santos watch in 1904, sealing his friendship with the aviator Alberto Santos Dumont. The famous aviator's wish was granted: he could check the time while flying. The dial's rounded angles and exposed screws made this an iconic timepiece. Cartier marked the centenary of the watch with the introduction of a new version.

Santos 100 watch, large model, mechanical movement with automatic winding. Steel case, 7-sided crown decorated with a faceted synthetic spinel, silvered opaline dial, black oxidized steel sword-shaped hands with luminescent coating, sapphire crystal, alligator-skin strap with XL triple folding steel buckle. Case dimensions: 51.1 mm x 41.3 mm, thickness: 10.34 mm. Water-resistant to 10 bar (approx. 100 meters).

Here are some of my crappy pics: :)

20151109084739-X2.jpg

IMG_20151109_085436-X2.jpg

20151109085612-X2.jpg

20151109085747-X2.jpg

20151109085715-X2.jpg

20151108213311.jpg

KarmaToBurn

Congrats! The Santos 100 is a true classic and really cool.

elp

Wear it in good health Richard!

greg_r

Very nice pickup indeed - I've always loved the Santos (even though I hardly ever wore my rep... go figure).

Mariner89

A classic ... when I'm a wise old man :giggle: ... i may be able to pull something this classy off ... wear it well

WatchDog21

Great addition Richard!

21918929628_38478634a1_m.jpg

Kleen™

Very clean/undistorted lines...(which is absolutely my pref)...

rusty peters

They will replace the strap for no charge? That is a screaming deal....especially considering Cartier leather strap prices.

RichardMiami

They will replace the strap for no charge? That is a screaming deal....especially considering Cartier leather strap prices.

Yep.. $400 a pop..... (unfortunately, when I want a new strap, they take the old one back... I asked.. :( )

GenTLe

Hey Richard, in case you haven't already read this, look here: https://monochrome-w...er-santos-1904/

:)

simey83

Just stunning! Congrats :)

trailboss99

Very nice mate, congrats.

mysterio

Congratulations on the Santos.

Stuvetjee

CONGRATS!!! What a stunner!

Callumz

Congrats Richard!

RichardMiami

Hey Richard, in case you haven't already read this, look here: https://monochrome-w...er-santos-1904/

Thanks GenTLe..... great reading!

Rumors that I was there in person when Alberto first flew are incorrect! I was out of town that week! ;)

Piccolo

Very nice! Great addition to your collection... :thumbsup:

andyboy

Very Classy

a great addition to your already impressive collection.

Congrats

:beer2:

Del

Congrats mate - that is a beauty! :clap:

It's a big hunk of metal too - I tried on a colleagues a while ago and it was way too big for my wrist. :D

Enjoy it often! ;)

NFleischer

Mazel Tov on the new baby!

RichardMiami

Thank you ALL for the kind words! I am, truly over the moon with this one.... I appreciate your comments! :D :D :D

With a 7.5" wrist it fits perfectly, but it is truly not for a smaller wrist at all.

millionaire wannabe

Great watch! :drool: A fantastic store too, have never been to one of their physical brick and mortar stores, but hope to someday, the pictures look pretty fun! :) Congrats and enjoy it in good health!

myaz

THX for the article. In the 1st pic, it looks like Mr. Santos is flying straight at trees while blissfully looking in the opposite direction.

myaz

I did not want the gold bezel version, since that is a "ding" magnet. This particular watch was immaculate, no scratches, no dings, even the leather strap was perfect (and it fit my wrist with no adjustment at all).

Looks as good as my rep :P . But seriously, what a smooth move. Congrats.

- Are you saying that both gold and SS bezels are "ding" magnets but SS is easier to deal with when it gets scratched because the gold bezel merely plated(?) or is there another reason?

- I was going to ask if it was used because of your description above then saw the "CPO" further in your post. Google said "Chief Petty Officer" but I figured that wasn't it and kept looking....Wonderful thing, this Google is, makes us all smart.

RichardMiami

I did not want the gold bezel version, since that is a "ding" magnet. This particular watch was immaculate, no scratches, no dings, even the leather strap was perfect (and it fit my wrist with no adjustment at all).

Looks as good as my rep :P . But seriously, what a smooth move. Congrats.

- Are you saying that both gold and SS bezels are "ding" magnets but SS is easier to deal with when it gets scratched because the gold bezel merely plated(?) or is there another reason?

- I was going to ask if it was used because of your description above then saw the "CPO" further in your post. Google said "Chief Petty Officer" but I figured that wasn't it and kept looking....Wonderful thing, this Google is, makes us all smart.

Thanks for the kind words!

:) CPO = certified pre-owned. At Tourneau, that means the watch has been serviced and regulated, worn and/or damaged parts replaced, and it is then backed by the warranty I described above.

As for the bezel - gold is much softer than stainless steel, so it has a tendency to dent (or ding). Fixing that can be pricey, since a polishing wheel removes metal. Besides, I don't go for the "bling" that gold would have given the watch.