Sign in to follow this  
Brightlight

Very good post by By-Tor on RWG Jr

Brightlight

I thought this was a very good post on the how to's of Forum Moderation (noticeably all the sensible points followed by our own Mods here) and deserved repetition. The RG mods could learn something from this IMO

I'm not commenting the changes in RepGeek, I haven't read that forum in a while. Been too busy. I can hardly follow up what happens here.

I'm now generally commenting our moderating ideology (and some background of it):

Before I came here, I had very long experience of moderating a local lifting/fighting board (that me and 2 my partners ran). A place like that was full of narsistic, wannabe Internet tough guys (as you can imagine). That place was a hellhole. We tried everything, also the zero tolerance system, but it was a complete disaster. It simply doesn't work under any circumstances... when you start banning members and deleting threads there is no coming back. Eventually you have to ban more and more people because you have to enforce the rules similarly to everyone, and it only creates more drama and controversy. This is what "Junior" moderators and admin teams don't realize. You can't act impulsively and emotionally.

Funnily in our case, the best way to silence the worst abusers was to flame them back. Most of those guys who liked to start stupid sh*t (for the sake of it) couldn't flame their way out of a wet paper bag. It's like in real life: People who bully others and make a lot of noise about themselves are often cowards and/or verbally "limited".

Our team here share my views of this... we want RWG to be as "relaxed" and honest as possible. I've received pm's from my friends here and they have asked me to ban someone who's acting like a jerk.

I have always said no. Our longtime members are entitled to their differing opinions and "bad hair days". If it's a new member and the behavior is very apparent and abusive we'll boot 'em. Sure there is a limit for the veterans too. We have banned two or three longtime members, but only after they have been acting like lunatic drama queens long enough, and thus, literally begging the banning for months. Usually these people have had some temporary health issues and after a while we've allowed them back. No hard feelings, it's just Internet.

Typical problem is that admins and moderators think that they're above the members. That's not how it should be. Actually it's the other way around: we are working for YOU, the members.

The problem is that you can't force a friendly atmosphere. Moderators and admins don't make the forum, the members do. There is very, very little to moderate. If someone likes to sh*t onto his own carpet, our members usually ask him to clean it up. We're not even needed because our core membership is mature and intelligent enough.

RWG is, and will always be liberally moderated forum, where everyone can freely express their different opinions. You can also ask any questions you want from the admin team, because we play with open cards.

We only close threads about politics, ethnic groups, religions and guns. There is very heavy reasoning behind this, because these discussions always turn friends to enemies and poison the atmosphere. We're mainly a watch forum, our aim is not to fix the human rights problems in China, save the whales, rain forests or change the gun laws. You can do it elsewhere.

graman

Very well said :rofl:

solkryssare

Makes sense to me....

Silverspeed

One cannot disagree with what's being said by By-Tor I guess.....

Baldrick

Zat mean they are gonna welcome me back with open arms :rofl:

solkryssare

No you belong here Baldy. We want your full attention here!

andygt

Ah but they have the proof you is TTK, Baldrick!

An IP address tracing back to Scotland is concrete evidence, no? :lol:

Del

Sounds sensible to me but I guess, like a lot of things, it is easier to say than to operate in practice.

Baldrick

Ahhh, Sol, you say the sweetest things,...you been at the bottle again :lol:

@andy....yeah..resolves all the way back to Scotland, wonder how they'll react when I use a VPN :D

solkryssare

Ahhh, Sol, you say the sweetest things,...you been at the bottle again :lol:

No not today :D

prestigewatchco

Which forum is he talking about?

greg_r
Which forum is he talking about?

RWGJr

prestigewatchco

I thought so but the minimum admin intervention and liberal attitude had me puzzled

Must be a differnt RWGjr to the one I have seen where if 2Tone says shit they all go looking for a toilet after Ken of course!!

greg_r
:lol:

prestigewatchco

Sounds more like a description of here than RWGjr sure he is not mixed up. I know some of his reviews are directly from the rep fairy tale book but this is a big mistake to make confusing RWG with RWGjr

Brightlight
Sounds more like a description of here than RWGjr sure he is not mixed up. I know some of his reviews are directly from the rep fairy tale book but this is a big mistake to make confusing RWG with RWGjr

:lol:

Doesn't alter the fact though, whether they follow this code or not, what he says makes a lot of sense and shows IMO where RG is going wrong.

prestigewatchco

Whats the point of saying then being unable to implement it as a mod yourself. RG are going no more wrong that RWGjr themselves

of all the major forum the only one that fits the description of his perfect forum is this and he will not come here because he will be told the truth about his veiws and actions

ebzen02

I think he has a bit of forum envy.. He wishes he could be like use, but instead, he is trapped in that god awful knitting club..

ebzen02
Whats the point of saying then being unable to implement it as a mod yourself. RG are going no more wrong that RWGjr themselves

And Www.Sauce-check.com aka.. Www.wrist-check.com

Btw, I am going there right now to call him a big fat asshole..testing this post folks..

andygt

Ebz, at this rate you'll have a clean sweep of bans by the end of the week!

prestigewatchco

Yes EBZ don't be mislead into thinking what he is dreaming about in his post is the way it is there

ebzen02
Yes EBZ don't be mislead into thinking what he is dreaming about in his post is the way it is there

LOL.. TTK haunts me..

ebzen02

wrote my thoughts over there.. but with a bit of restraint.. Don't want to get banned from a knitting club.. How embarrassing..LOL

deanr

RG admins get boners from clicking the close threads and ban buttons, no rational argument can counteract psychological programming that deep