Sign in to follow this  
SackOHammers

116610 LB - Sub in blue. Noob v5. which movement?

SackOHammers

Hey all, been awhile since I've been around. Fortunately it's because I've been taking some awesome trips and having fun alongside work. I'm overdue to post some of my wrist shots abroad in the wrist shot thread. I'll get to it, I promise.

The blue smurf sub I got on the street market in Thailand has finally given up the ghost (as anticipated). Now it's time to get a proper one. I wish TC made them in Blue. I've looked at Toro, Fat Panda, Mary and Rochest, etc. Also these posts from Plankton and Gaz

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=98967&st=0

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=96149&st=0

Seems like the Noob v5 is the way to go. Here are my questions:

1) Are the ones in Blue just as fine? How close is the color? I know they aren't as popular, hence harder for me to find a review.

2) Most of these come with a 2836 movement, but you can pay some $70-$100 more for a 3135 movement. What is the difference? Something about width in the dial? Can someone kindly explain the difference?

3) Is there a different version you think is worth it for me to consider?

zufir

I can answer 2 and 3 for you.

2. Stay with the 2836, just a hassle to have it serviced/get new parts if anything breaks.

3. The v6 just came out for the black version so the green and blue should be on their way soon

NFleischer

The Noob for $368 or so is the best IMO. The BP is $100 less, but still a pretty good rep.

BK probably will sell the Noob version with Swiss ETA and tweaked for about $600 or so.

SackOHammers

Thanks guys. I haven't seen any reviews of the Noob v6.

I've sent BK a PM and am waiting a reply.

Stewart

I have the V5 116619 LB and here are the things that you must verify before accepting QC picks.

1. The clasp closes all the way. I have read many owners of the V5 in all versions have had problems with this and I ended up grinding mine down so it would close all the way. Get a clear picture of the clasp closed.

2. Crystal alignment. May be hard to get it perfect from the factory but try your best.

3. Less important to most, but rehaut alignment. Try to get a picture verifying the etched crown is in line with the 12 o’clock position.

Overall I really like this watch. It feels well-made and the color is (as far as I can tell comparing it to internet pictures) spot on. I have the 2836 movement and it has kept +4 sec a day since I put it on and the power reserve is at least 24 hours. I have not left it off longer.

SackOHammers

Stewart,

Thanks a lot for those tips. I'll be sure to add those to the list of things to check during QC. I happened to notice we both joined this place on the same day.

Daywatch

Just go with the Noob V5 and put some effort into checking the qc-pics and You don´t need to go BK for this watch.

The only difference to the black V6 that is out is the spacing between 300 and m, both dial versions are correct.

While the pearl is usually centered and the rehaut engraving mostly, the little laser etched crown at 6 is often off center

and very often there is a solid enk link gap at the lugs. I am very happy since March with the black V5 and still use it

at least twice a week if not much more often.

drmdtsap
The Noob for $368 or so is the best IMO. The BP is $100 less, but still a pretty good rep.

BK probably will sell the Noob version with Swiss ETA and tweaked for about $600 or so.

Well at least with my BP had some issues. The clasp broke the 4th day. The bezel did not stay flush after 6 months and after a year the hands were not showing the hour correctly. For some reason the hour hand was not aligned at 12 o clock together with the minute hand.

rusty peters

Well at least with my BP had some issues. The clasp broke the 4th day. The bezel did not stay flush after 6 months and after a year the hands were not showing the hour correctly. For some reason the hour hand was not aligned at 12 o clock together with the minute hand.

But besides that, how was your BP?

drmdtsap

A very good one, i guess.