Sign in to follow this  
everythingwithmod-eration

What happened to the TF AP RO 15400?

(Correction: AP RO 15400, not Roo. Typing too quickly it seems.)

I have been waiting with bated breath to order the AP Royal Oak 15400 w/black dial (TF) only to find today from a great TD that the new TF version is thicker than it's previous version and has the incorrect signage.

It used to be closer to the gen 15400 at 41mm x 10mm and with the "automatic" placed correctly (two rows beneath the center of the dial and three rows above the 6). It is now 41mm x 11mm with the automatic placed too low (three rows beneath the center of the dial and two rows above the 6).

The plan was to get one for Christmas and then get a profsteve crystal and a service to top it off.

Is there a new version number from TF on these? Is the older TF version still available somewhere? It's always the punch that you don't see that has the capability to knock you out. This TF revelation was stunning.

Edited by everythingwithmod-eration

Daywatch

Hi, I was worried by those same items plus the guilloche on the dial is smaller. Nevertheless those who have it or know both are saying it´s the best one and that You don´t even notice the thickness difference (?). Probably the best is to research some more reviews on it. Got interested in the smaller blue dial 15202 (quartz, no ticking seconds), just 8mm thick, reviewed by DC as I discovered that review just today.

Thank you for this! I'll check out DC's review. :)

Edited by everythingwithmod-eration

Hi, I was worried by those same items plus the guilloche on the dial is smaller. Nevertheless those who have it or know both are saying it´s the best one and that You don´t even notice the thickness difference (?). Probably the best is to research some more reviews on it. Got interested in the smaller blue dial 15202 (quartz, no ticking seconds), just 8mm thick, reviewed by DC as I discovered that review just today.

Just read the DC review... In a word, awesome! Thank you!

King

The watch you were quoted (wrong placement of automatic) is an inferior version -- it has been a Toro special for a long while. The black dial TF (good version) has been out of stock for a bit, AFAIK. Best available black dial 15400 at the moment is the JF version, which is a bit thicker than the TF with an inferior dial, but is otherwise better made. Huge thread with pics discussing this over on RWI.

The watch you were quoted (wrong placement of automatic) is an inferior version -- it has been a Toro special for a long while. The black dial TF (good version) has been out of stock for a bit, AFAIK. Best available black dial 15400 at the moment is the JF version, which is a bit thicker than the TF with an inferior dial, but is otherwise better made. Huge thread with pics discussing this over on RWI.

Thank you for this. I contacted Toro and he said that there are some black dial 15400 that have the correct dial and placement still available. Thank goodness. I'm going to grab one while I can, but am considering getting the 15202 blue dial in January. Love that thin footprint. Will send it out to modded with the automatic sign that it's missing and get the glass AR'd. I'm loving this community of horology addicts...